How about a way to set a module to 50% opacity or something via a shortcut to indicate I don't have this module yet, for example. Could help evaluating the feasability of a new rack layout. I used to use f=flip for that until I actually started turning modules upside down.

That user has loads of positive feedback and was mentioned on the good traders thread. Thanks to you their name has now come up in the bad traders thread. Nice! /s

Have you got the space guides feature turned off, maybe? It doesn't seem to work on iPads. But it works rather well on my desktop.

I'd go with the original modules if at all possible for the reasons stated above. The only exceptions are Grayscale Supercell/Microcell or one of the Monsoon versions of Clouds and the Antumbra adaptation of Grids. These Clouds clones offer much better control over parameters and Grids is (IMO) about the only Mutable module which can be shrunk without compromising usability. I've tried micro versions of both Plaits and Elements and they simply offer only half the fun (or no fun at all in the case of Elements). Oh, and I do consider getting a Twiig (or whatever they're called) which is basically two Branches in the space of one. Looks alright to me.

I've not had a chance to play all MI modules so far, but of those I have/had I'd say every single one of them is actually really good. Ripples MK1 wasn't quite my thing but the others I've kept. Streams is the one closest to being a disappointment but I've got to try it in a few more scenarios. Frames is underrated and so is Warps. Braids might be my favourite oscillator. Rings, I love Rings (easter egg modes FTW). Elements is too large, really. Wish there was a way to shrink it sans sabotage. But every time I do one last patch to prove I don't need it, amazing sounds emerge. So it's still there. Plaits? Of course. Blades? No "bags of character" per se but all the more versatile, generally useful and not bland either. And on and on… They're all immensely popular for good reason.

Doesn't matter at all. Whatever gives you the result you want is fine. Chain as many VCFs and VCAs in whatever order you see fit. Or don't. :)
Like you said, some VCFs or VCAs may not close completely in a certain patch. So you're gonna need another VCA somewhere in the chain.

Don't do it. Mackie warns against so in their manual. And IIRC so do the manuals of my (different brand) monitors.

Second that. 1U rows are perfect for mults and attenuverters.

Hi Glenn, nice selection (and rack name). I agree you could use some more cv mixing/manipulation. A Xaoc Samara II (offset, attenuate, invert, s&h, logic, mix) and a Frap Tools 333 (mult+mix) might be helpful. That Ladik M-174 mixer seems rather large to me. Maybe get a smaller Doepfer A138s instead? Now you should still have some space left. Which is good as there are a bunch of potentially interesting things missing (as far as I can tell), like a wavefolder, comparator, a small utility filter etc. Look into those once you're familiar with what you have.

The Ladik output modules are attentuators already. Albeit with a fixed attenuation level. You should be fine. Personally I prefer balanced outputs, but these consume more space (and money). And you'll find lots of people disputing the need for dedicated output modules anyway. So, IMO these are a good choice to start with.

Cheers, Chris

Bought stuff from @notwaving and @Quantia and everything went absolutely smoothly. Many thanks!

Especially for drums or short percussive envelopes I really like the old (and cheap) Doepfer A-142-4 Quad Decay. Sure it's decay only, but sometimes that will do just fine. A little harder to track down, but worth it for the amazing EG/HP ratio is the Bubblesound HEXa(s)r. The envelopes are all on the short side (something like a max of around 4s or so per stage) but again, lots of applications where a full ADSR is overkill. For more complex envelopes I love the Xaoc Zadar. My favorite classic ADSR is the Roland 540, but I guess the Frequency Central clone System X Envelope is just as nice.

The Antumbra Atom looks cool and maybe if I had been very familiar with Elements I would have been happy with it. But I got the Atom first and I admit it was totally opaque to me. Sold it, got an original MI Elements instead. I think I might get along with something the size of Michigan Synth Works Quarks (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/michigan-synth-works-quarks-). The layout makes more sense and the knob size is a little more finger friendly.

Updated current draw measured using Joranalogue Test3 on a Doepfer PSU3.

Before Covid shipping to the US was not much of an issue. But it's become both slow and very expensive since. Plus, insurance on >100€£$ fragile electronic items is much more important than, say, a 10€ record. And I even had to pause selling those (via discogs) to your continent starting last March. Personally, I don't mind filling out customs forms and everything but Covid has made international shipping quite more difficult. Three records I did ship to the US last November arrived in late February. Two of the buyers were incredibly patient but one opened a PayPal dispute and got his money back in January. I'm simply not too keen on going through this again.

Edit: as for the UK... since Brexit I had two items ordered from there stuck in customs for more than a month. Until this process works more smoothly, I won't ship anything there just because I don't want to deal with (understandably) desperate buyers on a regular basis. See above.

There is a "message the manufacturer" button. Maybe ask them? In the meantime you could share the current draw here in the comments :)

I'm on the same Safari version. Strangely I couldn't reproduce this behaviour just now. Because scrolling actually steals focus from the search field as soon as the cursor is over the rack. But I'm sure what you're describing has happened to me before as well. Just don't know I did it. Do the 'd' and 'v' keys also insert new modules while you're in the search field?

This only ever happens to me when I forget to move the cursor away from the rack. Maybe executing shortcuts could be disabled when the search field has the focus?

@Mazz
That's too healthy an attitude to get into modular. Sorry, mate! ;)

(Oh damn, this is a sticky thread! Should have contributed something more profound. Next time.)

The Keystep can easily be powered by an Intellijel PSU. No need to worry.

While I think this is sound advice, I don't think it's necessary to get too religious about it. Sure, in most situations it's better to keep the Moogs and especially the Behringers in their own cases. For me though, the DFAM works much better within the rack than right beside it. Even if I could fit some pretty cool modules into its space. And for the same reason why reorganizing the rack is such an often discussed topic. Having something just out of reach or hidden by a nest of cables makes a difference. And that difference might be worth the €£$/HP. Some day you'll either need a bigger case anyway or exit this madness... the best way to save your money is to not get into modular at all :)

Ha, cool! Yeah, sometimes it's hard to keep track of every option in all those multifunction modules with their Easter eggs and alternative firmwares... :)

There is a vocoder in Mutable Warps and Flame apparently have a vocoder module in the works for release in spring or so.
For a small external solution, there's also the Roland VT-4. It does have a few other nice features. But TBH I sold it quite quickly because the user interface makes the Disting feel intuitive. YMMV and such...

I try to leave my modules in place as long as possible, because a) it's just no fun (even with knurlies) b) there's always a chance of plugging in something wrong (even with shrouded headers on the bus boards) and c) I hope I don't spread FUD but I've read somewhere that the Eurorack connectors are in fact spec'd for a number of re-connections that's in the double digits… [citation needed!] and I prefer not to test my luck too much. Still, I think I've rearranged >50% of my rack two or three times last year.

I have certain classic synth voice combos that I leave patched for a very long time. Also, I don't feel I need to mess with final fx->mixer->outputs wiring too often. In general I go blank slate when I feel like I'm completely stuck or actually done with a track. But that means I sometimes live with a patch for weeks and it gets very messy fast.

All that said, I do wish it was easier to rearrange everything. I agree, this thing does seem to have a life of its own. And the way modules are arranged has a huge influence on my patches. Most boring case, because I'm running out of long cables and mults…

But it did work before you put it in the rack? I don't have the K-2, but for the Neutron there were small dip-switches in the back, I think, to set the MIDI channel. Does the k-2 have those as well? If so, maybe you need to also remove that little board from the k-2's case and connect it to the k-2 in your Eurorack case. Just make sure it's affixed to the case in such a way that it doesn't short anything.

I have one FHX-1 expander for my expert sleepers FH-2 midi interface dedicated to LFOs. So that's giving me 8 (clock synced) LFOs in 4HP. Could easily add a few more. The only potential issue being that those LFOs have to be configured on either the FH-2's tiny screen or via Midi CC on something like a Faderfox or (in my case) an Octatrack. I wouldn't recommend an FH-2 just for the LFOs :) But if Midi is something you need in your rack anyway... why not? Works for me.

The short answer is: you should be on the safe side with those values.

The Doepfer PSU3s are pretty good and you should be able to run them close to their specified limits. The problem is, that you can't rely 100% on the power consumption specs of your modules here on modulargrid. Most should be close to their actual power consumption. But there's no way to tell how these values were measured, really. Some modules show a significant spike in consumption on power up, most will draw varying amounts of power depending on how they're being used. Has the manufacturer (or user) who added the module here entered the peak value or some average? Or just some random best guess? You can't know for sure without doing your own measurements. So the recommendation of not exceeding a maximum of 80% of the PSU spec also serves as a cushion against too optimistic module consumption specs. Again, it's a recommendation and no hard and fast rule.

I really like Exploding Shed and can wholeheartedly recommend them, too. But honestly, the (admittedly few) times I've ordered from thonk.co.uk I was absolutely happy with their service as well. And they offer a much larger selection of parts and kits than the Shed. Can't you please delay Brexit for a few more months so I've got time for another order?

Try asking one of the moderators, I'd say. The accidental/nonsensical downvote seems to happen every now and then if you check the forum. Guess this rating system needs a few more iterations to get right.

Interesting. Maybe you got a negative rating by a user that has since deleted their account (I think this should be seen as a bug). Or maybe ghosts hate you.

I'd like to second the power capabilities per rack or per row feature request of @deft_bonz
For me, personally, the power per row feature would be very, very welcome. But per rack would probably be easier to implement and help a greater amount of people...

MiRack is nice, but have you looked at Drambo? Definitely worth checking out. Its interface is less skeuomorphic and more optimized for taking advantage of (touch-)screens, I'd say. Also, it's more voice oriented, rather than just giving you a huge empty wall. Which to me makes sense in a virtual environment where you have different constraints than in a hardware modular system. Or maybe it just fits my approach better... :)

If you only want to play a VCO chromatically and in tune to some other sequence, the way you're doing it now is the way to go. And indeed, in this usage scenario big tuning knobs can be quite dangerous and frustrating. A way to "lock" the tuning is a rare/nonexistent feature, unfortunately.
Now, there are many applications where a big tuning knob is useful/necessary – for example when using the VCO as a modulator. In that case, the frequency knob might become be a performance tool. Also, not all music conforms to fixed scales, and to be able to simply dial in whatever one feels is appropriate is an important feature.

I'll try to provide some details when I'm done with the track I'm working on. Played with the shift settings quite a bit, not sure what they're set to. Mostly using the Octatrack to sequence it right now.
Right now got the scale set to Tet12 either fully CCW or one of the first four scales. Detune at 11-12 o'clock. Balance slightly past noon. Root at 9, Spread at 12, cross FM CCW, twist and warp somewhere between 9 and 11. Like I said, not sure about the shift settings and I also add CV to pitch, root, scale, twist and warp via Octatrack CC to CV and a heavily attenuated Ochd.

Bought modules from @Halfgeleider @x2mirko @hirnlego and @duda within the last few months. Smooth transactions all around. :)

@troux thank you. So far I've spent most of my time exploring the EnOsc on its own, understanding the modes and figuring out how the other parameters interact. And then left it in a string machine style pad state, which is stunningly beautiful but I feel also kind of underutilizing it. Forgot to set it into full mayhem mode and patch it through filters somewhere along the way... will try that once my current patch is done.

Thanks for the jam and patch notes.

I agree, it's really worth reading the manual. I still find it tricky to integrate the EnOsc in a track. It's easy in unison mode, of course. And when using only a few oscillators and little spread. But for every other mode, I feel I need to "compose" a track around the EnOsc instead of just starting somewhere and then patching it in when I want to. Maybe that's just my haphazard songwriting style and could be solved a more theoretical approach?
How do you all work with the EnOsc?

Yeah, can be the same/similar. My intention with this was to provide either a slew option for keyboard playing or to have a another kind of envelope to trigger via Steppy and modulate the BIA with, for example. Was looking for a dual envelope generator and this module has a few interesting extra features. But yeah, this is the module choice I'm the least confident about. :)

Alright, so maybe the mixer and fx modules can go (for now). If you're really planning to only connect a keyboard, the FH-2 is overkill. Also, if you're planning on creating structured tracks a full eurorack sequencer does make sense. That said, I still think the Usta is just too large for a case this size. Anyway, I thought this posed a fun challenge and I've had another go:

alt text

Replaced the FH-2 with a simpler (and smaller) Intellijel uMidi (your keyboard does have Din Midi Out, right?). The MI Blinds got replaced by the smaller Vermona QuadroPol. I never agreed that everyone needs Maths, so that got divided by 2.5 to Function (bad pun, sorry!). Since you're using a keyboard you might actually want to have a full ADSR. The Xaoc Zadar can be used (almost) like a full ADSR, but also for all sorts of interesting wave shapes, both triggered or looped (all that x4). The WMD TimeWarp can act as dual slew, EG and envelope follower. All that should give you a bunch of cv sources + manipulation + mixing capabilities. Both the BIA + the EnOsc can use plenty of those. Also there now is a selection of three filters. Whether these work for you is a matter of taste.

To me the first question when I see this rack is: what is connected to the FH-2? Depending on that answer the next question might be: do you really need the Usta in a rack of this size? If a DAW, an MPC or an Elektron device are controlling the FH-2, I'd rather get a CV expander for that and add one or two smaller sequencers. Something immediate and fun, like a Xaoc Tirana (or two). I don't see a mixer anywhere (except for the Links utility mixer). Are you planning to use an external mixer? If not, the Befaco STMix or an Intellijel Mixup are nice and compact. Also keep in mind, while the 4ms Ensemble Osc is really great, people aren't joking when they say it eats attenuators. If you don't want to dedicate half your FH-2 to it and control the EnOsc mostly externally (although that can absolutely make sense), I'd definitely recommend adding a triple/quad attenuator/attenuverter/vca solely for this module.

Here's my take on your rack using the Planar:
Planar Rack

I've tried to keep as many of your choices intact as possible. For example, I'd also rather go with a Noise Engineering Pons Asinorum in place of the WMD Javelin. Two more envelopes + LFOs, but losing the accent input on the way. Lugia's suggestion of the Doepfer filter is a great one, although of course filters are a very personal thing. The Xaoc Samara can take over most of the MI Kinks + Links functions while providing more flexible mixing and attenuation.

For a rack of the size, I'd go with a Planar. It's a great performance tool but it's also great for exploring the possibilities of modules. One of the fastest methods to change up to six parameters at once in a controlled manner. Tetrapad is also a very good module (haven't tried the Tete, tbh), but in my opinion that combo is better suited to a three row rack. Or a very focused two rows.

I've arranged the sequencers to the top left 'cause I don't want wires covering the knobs. Same reason why I brought most "knobs on top" modules to the top row. Even if it means splitting the "filter section". I also prefer sprinkling attenuators and mixers in between other modules to keep cables short. I've only just noticed that I don't have a good idea how to best utilize the Bitbox in this rack, so I maybe this is where my whole plan comes crashing down :D Anyway, hope this all kind of made sense and maybe has been of help in some way.

Edit: you've got two stereo modules but no stereo filters(s). Or at least two identical filters. Maybe that Doepfer module should be exchanged for something else, after all. The 12hp would fit a WMD Overseer (stereo) + a mono Electrosmith 2144 LPF - the latter should even get you close to the character of the Tiptop 2040 :)
You don't need a (stereo) filter for the Ensemble Oscillator, but having one can be really nice, especially for pads.

Bought modules from @Denev @Chris_Da_Break and another one from @loopspool
Happy to report quick and issue free transactions.

Using the Panel Selector doesn't change the image for everyone. Editing a module and adding yet another image does, BUT the users can then use the Panel Selector to go back to the previous panel they had. It's still there so it's not so much of a problem.

I know how this works. But you're right, it may be irritating for other users. Especially those who don't know about the panel selector. Not really a problem, though. At least not as much as dozens of duplicates.

Yeah, well, that's all Mults, not just buffered.

The best value is probably the Intellijel Buff Mult 1U. But, like it says, you need a 1U row for that.
The Doepfer buffered mults are rather cheap, but occupy 4HP. Erica Synths have a Pico 3HP one. Personally, I think in 3U land, a buffered mult really shouldn't be more than 2HP wide. So the cheapest option there is DIY. If that's for you, check out a DIY store in your country and build yourself one. That's the best value. Other than that, maybe go with Malekko or Intellijel.

Simply judging by the specs you should be fine. What kind of noise do you get? Does it appear in every patch or only in certain combinations? For example, do you have a high noise floor already when patching only Rings to the Audio I/O? Try disconnecting all modules from the bus board/flying bus cable and reconnect one by one, starting with the Audio I/O. At which point does the noise appear?

The A-199 can add a lot of noise to the audio path. Try placing the springs somewhere else, make sure both the springs and the cables aren't too close to other electrical circuits. Try replacing the RCA cable with one that's better shielded.

I don't have the A-106-1 but a lot of MS-20 style filters can be rather noisy (by design).
But of course, the AC adapter might well be the culprit.

Maybe ask the person kindly why they did that? I accidentally rated someone negative when viewing this site on an iPad. The device is pretty good at preventing unintentional button presses but they do happen.

That 961 has nothing to do with V/Oct. Its purpose is converting different kinds of triggers. It can be useful with an MS-20/K-2, but for V/Oct to Hz/V conversion you'll need a different module. The G-Storm KVP does both. You already went for a Neutron, so no need for that, but I thought I'd mention it.

But doesn't that change the default image for everyone? While I wished people would stop adding separate "whatever panel" versions to the database, I'm not sure the current implementation is sufficient. Or am I missing something?

Since the first and last cases have dedicated output modules... does the high-pitched whine also appear over headphones when the cases are not connected to anything else? Do you have the whine in a different room (or outlet) as well?

What Lugia said, basically. If you want to do more than sequencing drum modules with an Elektron device the FH-2 is perfect. Because the best thing about Elektron's Midi sequencers is their ability to plock Midi CC. And most other Midi-CV modules severely limit the CCs one can use. As far as versatility is concerned the FH-2 has very little competition (Endorphines Shuttle Control, Polyend Poly 2), but the option to expand it up to 64 outputs makes it unique (in fact, you could have 64 CV + 64 gate outputs). So far I've got 3 expansion modules and I could easily use a few more. The initial setup isn't exactly intuitive but it's so worth it - and most importantly it just works.

I don't wanna get into why one would want/need any of those devices.
It just so happens that I use an OT, an A4 and a modular rack. Both Elektron devices offer unique ways to control a modular. It depends on your modules and what sparks/stifles your creativity on which approach is best for you.
A4 not only offers note CV, gates and sequenced manual cv, but also LFOs and envelopes. All of them plockable. Really cool.
The OT needs a Midi to CV module (like Garfield mentioned). There's no need for an 8 channel interface. You can absolutely use the OT to control just one or two channels. It's hard to recommend a single interface without knowing what should be controlled. Multiple voices using just note cv+gate? Or rather one voice with lots of midi CC to CV? The expert sleepers FH-2 is very flexible, but requires quite a bit of setup time and planning. Something like LPZW's Tram8 offers 8 gates plus 8 CVs (in a special OT optimized firmware), but no note CV at all - might be totally sufficient for a drum rack, or for sequencing eurorack sequencers via OT.

I'm sort of in favor of such a thing as well. However, I fear people might start listing modules at unrealistic prices in order to game such a guide. Both inflated and undervalued scenarios are plausible. Adding to that, since the marketplace doesn't have a full order/checkout process, there's no way of telling whether a module has actually been sold at the price listed.

Check out the sticky topic "Using the planner". Maybe the keyboard shortcuts will help you accomplish what you want.