Thread: Reggie

...my budget is really really bad...i may take the challenge and build my own case...
-- RhamptonStudios

Right you are. With more time on your hands than money you may find this inspiring: cardboard DIY case. That's what I did. I went for 2 rows though. It's way more more durable than you might think. In fact mine doesn't show any wear after 15 months and five times on the road. It's an easy build done in one afternoon and, of course, it doesn't get any cheaper.

...if i can just get that image above i will be greatly happy..what gear are you using btw
-- RhamptonStudios

Remember you will still need the PSU or your modules will do nothing ; -)
My rack is constantly changing. A while ago it looked something like this this.

If your case doesn't have power you will need a converter module like uZeus with a wall wart or brick style external PSU.

Hi, for like two weeks now I'm getting multiple E-Mails for each item on my watchlist ("Notifications"). Anyone else seeing that?

...DIY cases that cost between 400-500 euro's... >
-- Precursor

You did notice the 300 EUR figure in my previous post?

That is, case including power.

...I just found out that the cases are like 10 times more expensive than the modules........ Am I missing something here or what?
-- Precursor

Well, cases and power are not exactly cheap. It seems hard to justify a 4 digit amount on a case if you can hardly afford the modules to fill it. Well you don't have to go that expensive. You could DIY build two 6Ux84/104 HP cases with a uZeus and a Toshiba brick each and get away with 300 EUR for 4 rows. Fill that with second hand Doepfers. Yeah right it won't be a fancy FRAP Tools Uno or somesuch but it will be doable on a budget and it will get you going FAST. Once you have that running you can kick back and wait for opportunities.

Thread: Change Log
  • Use , and . to push modules to the next adjacent neighbor.
  • a new overlay explains all shortcuts
    -- modulargrid

JUst tried, works like a charm.
BTW, one from my drawer wished for but afraid to ask ;-))
THX.

Thread: 2hp Mix

Umm -- it wasn't me!
In fact, if it had been, all the jacks would be near the top, MIX lowest. The knobs would be on the bottom half. But that's just me and because I'm used to a two row skiff with the mixer located bottom right.

How are going to mix your... um... 5 different sound sources?
Or do you plan to use them strictly one at a time ;-?

Thread: My A-100

You either use a Doepfer style built-in PSU or an external 'brick'/laptop style power supply unit (or wall wart in small systems) with a converter module. Both are connected to bus boards/cables inside your case that your modules plug into.

Thread: My A-100

ladik is about the best value in Eurororack modules you can get in Central Europe. No nonsense functional stuff.

Yeah right.

That and make the zone a permanent for the modules in the "Notifications" watchlist.
Pretty please.

HI and welcome. All the modules you have listed are great choices and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

Do not expect to make the right decision and be set once and for all, though. As you go on, try things and learn, your views and needs will change. My general advice would be to go from few and simple modules to more complex and bigger, because: Once you mastered the simple stuff you will know why exactly you need the bigger/better/faster/more. And only then. Probably go second hand as you loose very little when you pass stuff on later. And there's always one more module you will want to try.

ENV: Maths vs. Rampage -- pick either. I guess there's a lot more people out there having experience with Maths and that's why you hear the Rampage being praised less. Did you watch the DivKid video about the Rampage?

VCO: Both Braids and the Black WT are great. Oh and I like the Pico because of its small footprint and price.

LFO: I started out with a big complex quad LFO with a gazillion features. Now I'm using this. Not saying Batumi isn't great, just that you will not need all of it on day 1.

VCA/CV tools: You will need both a mixer and CV conditioning , not either or ;-)
I'm getting great use out of these two. They go a long way for very little money.

A personal note: Big complex modules with a deep menue holding a ton of options are great. They can also be a great obstacle when you just want to make some spontaneous music.
Now re-read that second paragraph ;-)
Cheers!

Works great, thanks :-)

I would want a quantizer that can work with CV from other modules. Not sure about this one.

If you plan on playing your oscillator/s with your sequencer in musical scales you will need a quantizer.

Um that's too bad. Even when they are less than 1% sometimes you hit one of those.

The seller should be able to produce some kind of shipping receipt. If not, full refund.

I want to alert all of you that the user @vjunker has cheated me.
I paid 227€ (through bank transfer...) the 20th september for a MI rings which is never arrived. After my mails about the delay, he said that the package was without the tracking number, so, he could not do anything. Unfortunately I have his mails in which he wrote that the package was insured (and i can't imagine how a package could be insured without a tracking number. Anyway, his last reply to my mails go back to 20th october. He is still selling modules, so, if you don't want to be cheated like me, avoid this user.

-- norakant

Customs problems?
A shipment form Switzerland once took 4 months for me to clear.
Where are you located?

It is, and was before at least for those who care enough. Same case with power requirements. So now that you gave us better db capabilities the question is: How do we convince submitters do create complete module records? Maybe records should only be approvable/lockable when the basic data is complete?

1. ...sort by ...Depth
  2. Click twice to reverse...
    -- modulargrid

Great, been waiting for both of these. That's some serious gain in usefulness right there. Especially for us folks with shallow cases (1. ) and considering that you cannot just jump to the end of the (dynamic) list (2.).
Thanks a heap!

Feedback frequency modulation. Unless you carefully control the fb level you will get some disgusting noise.

Not necessarily. But you will want an attenuater/verter. Unless you prefer a vibrato spanning multiple octaves ;-))
Put it however you like, a attenuverter/scaler/shifter is one of your most basic modular needs.

By using a CV conditioner like the Ladik M-120 . It can mix two channels of audio/CV (and invert them) and add a negative or positive offset to the mix. It is 'DC coupled' meaning it will not filter out DC (as opposed to audio/hi-fi gear).

Amazing, so there's no issue with mixing AC and DC signals?
-- Plurnstyle

As long as you respect the expectations on the receiving side, no. (As in most cases in life ;-)
Meaning most audio gear - like PA systems or studio gear - will get upset when your modular output has DC in it. Such gear usually has steep filters to prevent anything below 20Hz to ever reach a speaker. Power amps often shut down when they sense DC. At the very least it will lessen your headroom. But inside a modular often mixing of AC and DC ist required for CV, such as shifting a LFO signal (AC) swinging between -3V and +3V into unipolar so it moves between 0 and +6V by adding +3V offset (DC). Even audio gets hefty DC applied to it in some distortion units.

So how would you set up an Oscillator with no cv output, as an LFO? Presumably you just slow down the Oscillator and plug it's audio output into a cv input, right??

-- Plurnstyle

Yep. Any OSC that can go slow enough can work as an LFO.
Likewise, an audio OSC with square output and adjustible pulse width can produce triggers and gates.

...I want is to be able to use a standard oscillator as a modulator to control cutoff frequency, ...
-- Plurnstyle

Short answer: Yes you can use adio as CV.
Not sure what you are getting at though. To ''use a standard oscillator as a modulator to control cutoff frequency" you don't require audio as CV?

I don't have personal experience with Cells but it should easily do the job, and a lot more. Unless you specifically require that 'more' you may want to consider getting a sequencer (or even a mixer) and a quantizer, both of them cheap and simple. The combo would do the job of 'sequencing the sequence' plus be applicable to other diverse tasks. Just a thought.

Not sure what you mean by 'offsets' here. Each pad stores a voltage value (actually two) which then can be played back in arpeggiator or sequence fashions. If you want to sequence the pitch of an osc or add an offset to a CV coming from (and going to) somewhere else is up to you. Did you watch the demo on its homepage?

Hi and welcome, returncodezero!
Looking good to me. I would want an envelope in there though. And a LFO will be little use if you don't have an attenuator. THe M-120 is a useful one, also inverts and mixes CVs and gives you a manual fixed voltage.

More picolicious goodness. Keep them coming!

thx
:-))

Top looks more interesting to me.

Duplicate of https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ninstrument-graeco ?

Sorry for missing your answer and the late response.

I mean, that is not a property we need to search for e.g. does someone need a "show all expander modules" function?

-- modulargrid

Exactly that: A property to NOT search for .e.g., a possibility to exclude all expanders (and 1U and alt panels and whatnots)
Does that make more sense? (oh and thx a lot for your great work so far :-))

Filter for module property: Product Lifecycle

Filter for Concept, Currently Available and Discontinued
The setting Property Unassigned shows unassigned Modules, so that it's easier to tag them.

Add all to My Modules

With the new function Add all to My Modules it's easy to populate the My Modules list from a current rack.
You can find in the Edit DropDown menu.

Counter for search results

If you search for modules the quantity of results will be displayed.
-- modulargrid

All great features!
Just tried the collection, works great.
Thank you !-))

...I'll keep learning and ... then make a more informed decision on the next modules.
-- Azarius

You are a very reasonable modulist. Or at least more reasonable than I am. I own more modules than rack space.

Put a blank. If you cannot think of it you do not need it.

The Tiptop uZEUS is a good starter. I still have mine. Do monitor your modules' mA's though and set the jumper accordingly. RTFM. (Funny things will happen once you are coming close to the limit of your PSU. Modules will refuse to start intermittently and are seemingly dead. Others appear stuck or start acting funny after a couple of minutes... That's why it's a good idea to plan for 20-30% more power than your modules add up to. Some have a hefty inrush current.)

Modules I use all the time are multiples (A-180-2 and Mult), the Ladik M-120 Attenuverting Mixer and Uoki Toki 4LFO. All of these pack a lot of needed functionality in a small space which is important in a 6Ux84 case. I used to have 4 mults all patched up and still wanted more. This was much alleviated by a newly aquired A-138m Matrix Mixer. A Disting I don't have but I can see one in my future.

A note on Maths. It's a great module and gets best marks around here. Still I would recommend getting Function. It's a looping envelope with VC-able attack and decay/a slew limiter/LFO/oscillator/S&H/envelope follower /trigger source/whatever, all in 8HP. Which basically means you could build a synth with just a handful of these. Allow a few month to get bored by all of that , then blow twice as much on Maths. Or get a second Function. And, your rack space is precious. Just my 0,02 EUR of course.

The Disting is like a Swiss army knife, great for all the utility in just one piece. When you find yourself needing one of its many functions all of the time a dedicated module might serve you better. Just one of the many aspects to think about. You could go on forever pondering what might be better or worse. In the end the real, hands-on, experience will tell you what you need to know. I found myself using modules in every patch I had little regard for initially.

If HP efficiency was your main concern you could do better than that. But maybe it isn't. What made you choose these modules? Do you have personal experience with them?

Quite the challenge to keep up with when in full use. As a matter of fact I'm struggling with the signal flow on my Doepfer 4x4 if not most of the signals are colour coded.

....It seems like a more traditional 4 element synth rather than someting built for IDM or more abstract sounding set up. Am I right?
-- skizum

Don't get caught up too much in what others have and use. Unless your thinking and approach is traditional it will not sound traditional. --

What about CV conditioning, routing, mixing? Much muscle but you also need bones.

Maybe you go to the details page and pm the person who submitted the module?

Something like this:

[clock] -- [clock divider/multiplier] -- [seq2]
|
[seq1]

would do that.
Where seq1/2 are two sequencers playing the same sequence at two different but related speeds,
one being a integer division or multiple of the clock. That way you would be able to not only vary the speed ratio between your two copies of the sequence in a wide range but to do so in real time using a CV source like another sequencer (or LFO, envelope, manual offset, ...) while keeping the parts in sync.

So you want to run the same sequence at two different speeds, a given speed and than half of that speed, at the same time?

I'm afraid I still don't get it. So this is not about a delay effect as in echo. Do you mean to have the sequencer play one quarter note while the clock counts two 8th notes? That would simply mean running the sequencer at half the clock rate. Or were you talking about a swing or shuffle effect when you mentioned delay?

Also, what is the meaning of " I want to delay CV pitch"?
A CV has as (actually, is) a voltage, not a pitch.
Wondering...

Hi, are you saying you want the delay to happen only on every other delay?

Hhm, that's quite the list! Meaning you probably will want to be prepared for everything ;-)

As for syncing things up the pro way, look at the ACME4 ( http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/snd-acme4.html ).
You will want a MIDI interface in your modular, probably going both ways. If you plan on sending CV from the computer to the modular you will need a special interface like the ES-1 (http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html) .Question 3. Are you looking into processing outboard audio inside the modular? That would need interfaces for each chan to bring the outside line level up to modular voltage and another interface module for bringing it back down for the mixer.

Start by looking at the interfaces of your most important boxes and get modules to connect them to your modular. To have all the connecting options you will face about a complete row of interfacing. See http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/hardware.html for inspiration.

At a minimum, you need a module that accepts and syncs to audible clicks/triggers and outputs a trigger or gate to sync your modules. Stick your drum machine's rim shot in it and your modules will follow the drum tempo. Probably both Maths and Disting can do that, read the manuals.

PS: Only saw your updated rack after posting.
Do you already have the Make Noise CV bus module?
AFAIK it is sold as part of their shared system only.

A few things to think about:
1. Got a mixer that can host 2 ch of modular?
2 .What piece/s of gear need to interface with the modular?
3. Will any of the outboard stuff's audio go in (level adjust line --> modular --> line) ?
4. What needs to sync and by which means (midi, tap tempo clock, ...) Which box should be the master clock ?
5. Are there any Eurorack controllers to help your live performance?