I am trying to find more UK makers, and it would be a huge help to have a search filter for country of manufacture on the site. Thanks.

Sometimes it helps to keep track of modules past, present and future by organizing them by manufacturer. Could this option be added to the edit section please.

Thanks for your consideration.

As a general thank you for the info and support I've gotten from users over the years, I'd like to give away some promo codes for free copies of one of my books:

Make/Manifest: A Life in Art and Craft is an exploration of the challenges and rewards of living a creative life. Twenty-three award-winning artists and creators share the insights they have gained through long-term relationships with their craft, discussing their medium, their relationship with their audience, and their approaches to creative and professional sustainability. These unique profiles offer the listener inspiration and illumination that will help them reflect on, deepen, and refresh their craft.

For synth fans, it features interviews with the late great Dave Smith, Jeremy of Red Means Recording and Josh Scott of JHS Pedals. The other musicians are Muazzam Ali Khan, (Qawwali singer, nephew of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan) and Herman Rarebell, the drummer from Scorpions.

The book also includes discussions with artists working in many art forms, including music production, sculpture, photography, stained glass, performance art, comic book illustration, spray can art, classic car restoration (Mike Hall of Rust Valley Restorers), animation, voice acting, motion capture, tattooing, documentary film, reality TV and scripted TV.

It was an absolute mind-blower to work with these folks, and they are full of useful experience and approaches to creativity.

JHYSGYLABHHMN
KFK57WZ4K43UK
LLAD33R7MY9DL
NNJEC46MJPH42
P3S8QYY29YZQW

Redeem the one-time use codes at https://www.audible.com/acx-promo

The full list of interviewees:

Kari Barba, Formica Coriandolo, Mike Hall, David Hurn, Corin Johnson, Claudia Kappenberg, Muazzam Ali Khan, Reuben Langdon, Peter Lord, Rama Mani, Miguel Mendonça, Maggie Murphy, Charlotte Mary Pack, Lee Pepper, Lady Pink, Stan Prokopenko, Herman Rarebell, Red Means Recording, Josh Scott, Matthew Shewchuk, Dave Smith, Kazuaki Tanahashi, and Eda Elif Tibet. With a foreword by Chipo Chung.

An option to organize modules in racks by manufacturer.

Zeta_fxn - how do you define 'organic noise'? Do you have any examples online?

Got rid of Pam, as the outboard gear I have can seq absolute trigs/CV and the Pachenko/Marbles will add a lot of happy "accidents". Because of that I also removed the 0ch LFOs and the Instru logic, I kind of wanted the logic but it was quite expensive and the Disting has one, albeit not as good.
-- pechnatunk

It is worth considering keeping a Pam's Pro Workout in the system. It's incredibly useful for so many things, and often saves me having to buy new modules for certain jobs as I realize that Pam's has it covered. As I write this, it's being used to keep the whole system in time, as well as modulating various things. And I've just been reading up on using it for some euclidean experimentation. I in fact have two in my rack, and both are always doing something. For the price and the size, it's crazy how useful it is.

One other thing, which is probably fairly obvious: you will in all likelihood change your system on an ongoing basis. It's the joy of modular. The way you make music will develop, and your knowledge will make fun new things possible. If it really gets hold of you, controlling your spending may be a challenge. Dealing with GAS is a part of the journey for most people. But as long as you are reading manuals and getting the most out of what you have, GAS may be ameliorated to some degree. In six years I've gone through over 100 modules, and bought several of them twice.

I hope this is useful to some degree, and I wish you well with it.

No problem. But my reply was gone off topic maybe... This thread is about to evolve the personal modular setup of the post author into a dark ambient direction and I replied that the large part of the dark ambient musicians plays softwares and not modular gears, except someone of course. Ad also I think it's more better going to sampler and effect gears too, instead of sequencers and/or rhythmic based modules that they don't make so much sense to this scope, because this is a music genre totally based to evocative obscure atmospheres, then rumbles, sinister field recordings, atonals, whispers, voices, disturbant noises, orchestral and choir sequences, and of course dark drones that give the sensation of a large disquiet space. And personally I like very much all of them.

-- RossMotus669

Do you have any music online I can check out?

In my modest opinion, dark ambient started with the "Heresy" album by Lustmord and the rest of his production from there. Also Mick Harris Lull project and all the scandinavian monikers like Svartsinn, Kammarheit, Deathwalk, several Nordvargr albums and many more, passing to an enormous worldwide network artists. But I forgot someones for sure.
As sounds, dark ambient is based to obscure atmospheres with dark drones as portant base (bass sound rumbles generated to low frequency sounds, amplified by lush reverb and slow delay and also to audio impulses like sinister noises, breathing voices, disturbant field recordings and many more.
In this sense, I think the sampler is more useful then any intricated enveloped modular synth patches.
Regular ambient I presume it goes to a more "new age" direction.
Not starting a flame war but this is just my personal opinion.
Please, apologize me for my bad english and because I was been verbose.
-- RossMotus669

Do you mind me asking what attracts you to this genre?

How are you defining dark ambient?

How does it differ from 'regular' ambient?

https://sokamiru.bandcamp.com/album/portals

Fully ambient on this one :)

A relaxing ambient drone piece that arose from trying to avoid buying a Lyra-8.

Main patch notes: Generate 3 and Klavis Twin Waves II supply low end drones, while Odessa gives some high end. Odessa is multed. One stereo channel goes through Timiszoara (granular glitch mode) then into Melotus Versio (in Desmodus Versio mode). The other channel goes through Nebulae (in Mars Affects mode). Slight EQ in Ableton, plus Orion Valhalla reverb plugin.

How do I sync the cv and gate on the Varigate 4+ so that when pitch is outputted, a corresponding gate is fired? Right now it is all out of sync so the envelope is not opening properly.

Thanks

Thanks Garfield. All my rhythm stuff is made on the MPC. It allowed me to sell about €2.5k of drum and drum sequencing modules. It's not too complicated to set up with your rack. The MPC sequencer is powerful and gives you a lot of fine control. You lose that unique feeling of making music in modular, but it has so much flexibility as a sampler and sequencer that it pays off. Akai update the firmware every year and just added probability and some other things. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the MPC workflow. Cheers!

Thanks for listening TK. Let me know if you have any particular favorites on the album. It's always interesting to hear what appeals to people.

Thread: Kalambient 1

Hi guys - album #3 Hot Wisdom - just out. Produced on modular and MPC.

Bandcamp: https://sokamiru.bandcamp.com/album/hot-wisdom
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3Syoks8
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/gb/album/hot-wisdom/1637163387

Gorgeous stuff

Very nice track and great artwork too. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!
-- TumeniKnobs

Thanks T. Her artwork is indeed wonderful. Decided to go simple with the audio and leave plenty of room to absorb the art.

My new work, with the Shetland artist Belinda Sales

Patch notes: Pachinko sequencing Surface > Imitor Versio > Desmodues Versio > Timiszoara > Starlab

Very cool! I love all the little percussive mechanical bits
-- Gworn

Thanks Gworn. It was mainly achieved by blending enough of the original, plus some delay by the sounds, but I can't recall the rest of the patch. But it was one of those that just worked :)

Nebulae v2 (Bowed Drone mode) > Imitor Versio > Desmodus Versio > Starlab

Lovely stuff Gworn - how are you sequencing? What else is in the patch?

Some new ambient chillrightout music

Morphagene and/or Nebulae, through Starlab, Timiszoara and Desmodus Versio

Stages has an alt firmware that allows it to be used as step sequencer, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone walk me through it?

There is a post on it, but I can't follow this successfully. https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/stages-extended-sequencer-firmware/17493

I also could not find any YT videos that explain it.

Thanks

Hi Guys - I've been quiet on the forum for months as I've been busy putting together my new concept album, made on modular and MPC - hope you find something you like!

Bandcamp: https://bit.ly/3ILMeKY
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3NnVEzN
Apple Music: https://apple.co/35dQ2a0

A celebration of the legend that is Syd Mead.

Patch notes: Odessa and TšL running through Panharmonium then Desmodus Versio, modulated by Batumi. Plaits through Wave Swarm and into Typhoon. All sequencing by Usta.

Really nice - has me wondering how to make something similar on my system ...

Another Wave Swarm test, this time drenching it in reverb from both the ALA Typhoon and the Desmodus Versio.

Drums are Squid Sample and Basimilus into Mimeophon, which is doing double duty with delay and some reverb.

Hi Gumbo23,

Thanks a lot for the AJH - Wave Swarm module, wasn't aware of this module yet. Thanks to your demo, I am now fully aware of it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hey Garfield - it was recommended by my local eurorack shop, and so far is doing what I wanted it to. I have done a more focused test which I'll upload soon. For me it really works best with plenty of reverb, so I have it running through both the Typhoon and the Desmodus Versio. With some added modulation it really comes to life.

Interesting post, thanks! Question: Panharmonium is a pass-through in the video above until around 9 minutes yes?

• If I understood you correctly, yes, the Pan is doing nothing until later in the video.

I recently got Wave Swarm hoping it would be a way to get thickened stereo versions of any wave I throw at it yet. So far I've only tried it on my smaller system with headphones and I'm not blown away by the results. In the next few days I'll get to try it on my bigger system via monitors and I'm hoping I'll hear a more positive and more noticeable difference.

• I've not done enough with it yet, but I feel I'm getting subtle versions of what you describe. But the difference between the raw oscillator and the 'swarmed' version is fantastic. But it's not super wide stereo. I just wanted to thicken up the TsL in particular, without having to buy a CsL or similar. That said, I have a Castor & Pollux on order, and hope the Swarm will give that more thickness.

What I have heard so far is a clear sound which I think would be described as "multi-oscillator detune phase interference" which is common to the "supersaw" sounds we've all heard. What I haven't heard yet (and am hoping to) is stereo width and a strong illusion of supersaw-like sounds given (nearly) any input wave.

• I'm wondering if the Acid Rain chainsaw might be better for the pure supersaw effect. I have a lot of digital oscillators, so wanted to get more fatness in my analogue sound sources.

Thanks for the post. If I have any new insights / learnings from my Wave Swarm I'll circle back with those.

• Great - I would appreciate any feedback from your explorations!

-- nickgreenberg

A quick and dirty test of the AJH Wave Swarm. I'm running it through a number of oscillators - Instruō TšL, Xaoc Devices Odessa, Mutable Instruments Plaits and Rings. Loving this guy so far. It does exactly what I hoped for in thickening up the sound and giving it some movement. It can be brutal too, as you'll hear, but in the sweet spots it's huge and rich. It solved a problem and saved me buying a complex oscillator. Thanks to Ben at Elevator Sound for the suggestion.

Love it - more please :)

Thanks Vow3ll. It's always been one of my favorite movies, so it had to be done. I was just mesmerized by the soundtrack when it came out, and it's wonderful to see how much love it gets nearly 40 years later. What a work of genius all round.

My other favorite film is Apocalypse Now, so maybe the next track will bring some of that in :)

Some cyberpunk vibes for a rainy Sunday here in Bristol.

Odessa (in poly mode) - QPAS - Panharmonium - Desmodus Versio.
Squid Sample - Mimeophon - Typhoon.

Just picked up the Polygogo - it's a wonderful thing - especially when running it through the Panharmonium

@gumbo23 this is a pretty crazy journey, thanks for sharing, I might just have to get a Panharmonium one of these days...
-- troux

It's an absurdly compelling module - I'm still early on in my learning journey with it, but it's a ton of fun. You can get into some true haunting territory very easily, so you have to listen incredibly closely to everything that is happening. But for sure it's a keeper!

Hi Gumbo23,

Oh that's a lovely ambient track. Great sounds and it's nice to see your rack being in action here! :-)

This demo gives me a good appetite for modules like Usta and Odessa... hmm... and I "promised" myself to buy less modules for a while... help... ;-) Beautiful track and thanks a lot for the great demo, kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks Garfield - I just love to share the things I love - and these modules just hit all the sweet spots for me, and also have that slightly mysterious quality I love in modular. I never quite know what I'm doing or what will happen, but that's my happy place!

Do you have any music you can share?

New jam with some favorite modules that I love to share with people

A meeting of my favorite TV show and my new favorite eurorack module. Hopefully this demo gives the Panharmonium-curious a sense of the possibilities, the flexibility and the fun of this module.

New jam with my new favorite modules!

Three of the most inspiring modules I've ever met - absolutely made for each other. A simple jam, just a little gentle tweaking. Usta is also sequencing the bassline on Rings (who knew?) and the Numeric Repetitor which is feeding the Squid Sample and Basimilus.

I'm stuck atm as the firmware downloads as a zipped .bin file, and I can find nothing to unzip it.

If anyone has succeeded and can send me Usta.bin file for v152 I would be grateful.

I've tried the latest version of stuffit expander but that does not work either.

Thanks

I am setting up a system with two cases and really need to be able to see both at once in MG - is this possible?

Thanks.

I have signed up for the unicorn account, but cannot find my module collection - where is it?

Thanks

Thread: Ghost Palace

Nice @gumbo23....do you mind sharing your rack? was wondering what the one in the upper right was in particular
-- jb61264

Sure. Farkas is bang on! I love that filter, and Batumi is rightly one of the most successful LFOs ever made. Cross-modulating itself is really fun.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Farkas, I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I double the bass drum from the Numeric Repetitor, sending that to both the Quad Drum and the BIA. I'm finding so many new things in the BIA this week - not surprising that the founders say that pretty much the company's success is based on getting that module so right. When I got back into modular a few weeks back it was the first thing on my Modular Grid mockup!

This began as a metal project, and went way off into something else. I said to Markus at Noise Engineering that I was thinking of making a metal track, and he mentioned that he had made many 'blast beats'. Having no precise definition of this - but a feel for what it might sound like - I decided to simply start with the Enter Sandman riff and go from there. It's totally lost in the wild envelopes and filtering, but that's probably for the best.

The WMD C4RBN was the obvious filter due to its natural propensity for aggression, and the Basimilus was always going to wind up in the mix. The Desmodus gets a more leisurely outing this time, but it's still pretty active. The rest of the patch is really a mass of multed envelopes and LFOs sending everything to the threshold between music and noise, and beyond it.

So in love with this module. Tried a dub-style patch with it:

Full patch notes are in the description.