this user has left ModularGrid

I am waiting for this and Volkmire Inferno.

Saving up for one or the Cloud Terrarium that has a color screen and better user interface.

Sounds great ambience!

I am down for it and plan to record some new modular tracks by year end.

Thanks Lugia here is the updated case:

ModularGrid Rack

This ends purchases for a while and will focus now on mastering my gear and recordings.

Thanks Lugia!

By output tile what module do you mean? I will get a 1u dual VCA as well.

Hi Jim,

Normally in most cases I would agree however, I am also planning to use it to sequence my other small cases (Endorphin.es Shuttle System) and ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe that do not have sequencers. So I need a way to sequence many other small cases that lack sequencers. But as always, I am open to recommendations of course.

I was able to find a small LFO and envelope generator to complete my travel 7u techno case:
ModularGrid Rack

Thoughts? I have the essentials covered like quad VCA, attenuators/offset, FX, LFOs and envelopes and my audio sources and sequencers. At this point it should be able to stand alone or use with my two portable cases that also have modulation and support tools.

I can attest to what Lugia says and the smallest I could make a useful bit of kit was a 4u Intellijel 104 HP palette case and even then was challenging but used a large module Queen of Pentacles that has filter, 7 drum voices, and effects built in as my main sound source and most other modules are support modules. Then my other small setup is a 7u Intellijel case with mostly sequencers and support modules. I love having a monster case that really helps for larger modules.

An alternative might be the Cloud Terrarium wave table VCO. Has nice color 3D screen and looks super awesome and less expensive than Piston Honda. It may be more clean but fed into a distortion effect should beef it up.

I have one and love it since it can do quite a bit besides reverb and you can change the firmware to suit your taste.

Get a bigger case- I recommend the Intellijel 7u case or Tiptop Mantis case. That way you have room for support modules and so forth. You need VCAs, envelope generator, mixer, and modulation sources like LFOs.

I don't have it all and know some friends with 10x the amount of modular setup but I am making a good progress.
Check with Patchwerks and Detroit Modular they may have some Piston Hondas in stock.

I have the Hertz Donut, Kermit and Bionic Lester. All fun modules. Saving for Piston Honda.

@Lugia, agree well gives me reason to buy another Doepfer monster case setup eventually for the Buchla tiptop and Serge modules if all works out and they do a great job.

Oh yeah I have the Angle Grinder and 100 Grit are pure mad fun and quite versatile as well. Schlappi is on par with Harvestman modules for industrial mayhem in modular.

Hard to find details but these look promising as my dream of next case would be a mix of these affordable Buchla modules with Serge Random source ones.

Yay! So glad that you will be ok Lugia! All of your wisdom and advice along with others here have been a tremendous help to me when I started my modular journey two years ago.

Lugia is 100% correct and I learned the hard way well at least my 6u Doepfer A100 Starter system was helpful to learn the basics but I ended up expanding to a monster case that really gave me breathing room and then added tools and support modules.

However with that said, new polyphonic modules like Knobula Poly Cinematic and paraphonic modules like Acid Rain Technologies Chainsaw and the Supercritical Demon core oscillator give me hope to at least add to a polyphonic type setup in modular but it still costs way more since you need a good sequencer which is expensive as well as nice big mixer, support modules, effects and so forth. Heck the Waldorf Iridium is a bargain compared to how you will end up spending 5x to get close in Eurorack. If polyphony was a hard stop for me, I would get the Waldorf, Prophet 6 or Access Virus TI2 and a cheap drum machine and be done with it. Same goes for modular drums, very expensive!

Oh my! You have my prayers Lugia! Hope you recover soon. I've had my fair share of health challenges these past few years. Anyways I am recording some samples to my DAW and new audio interface. MOTU 4 and Presonus Studio One are superb partners and lots of tools make it way easier to record and remix modular than when I used Ableton.

Agree- I needed a way larger cases and having these makes life easier since I can swap out what I need to smaller travel cases.
Utiltiies- yeah the VCAs and modulation sources and tools are more important than 50 fancy oscillators!

Some chill mix with Queen of Pentacles and Acid Rain Chainsaw testing my new audio interface MOTU 4 works great and Presonus Studio One much more feature rich for sound mixing options than Ableton.

=e10a8b0584084e6489efcef3b074a1f4&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Thanks yeah it sucks that I ordered in first week of November and no update since then from shipping. Hopefully I get the module and not out of the $100 for it. At least my other modules arrived from Plum Audio and they are quite good plus Shay at Plum Audio is super nice and helpful. I give mad props to Lugia for the recommendation to buy the 1u Apex module so good for small space and modulation in my 4u palette case. I really like O*C a lot too and easier to use than Expert Sleepers Disting EX!

I ran some comparison between my Doepfer SEM and WASP filters this weekend for fun:

Both are excellent filters and work well with bass and percussion. The SEM is smooth and based I think on the Oberheim filter and the WASP is more aggressive, gritty and can self oscillate and based on the EDP vintage synth filter. Definitely great value for modular filters with good character and easy to use.

My OCP with Hemisphere arrived this weekend and I tried a bunch of applets and cannot find a way to do this. It has an internal clock option but I cannot find one to do the retrigger either and watched a bunch of synth tutorial videos on it. Still a great module and having a few is worth it even if you need to use another module to retrigger and reset the clocking. I use Pam or Batumi for the reset trigger option right now with my O&C modules.

The Erica Synths Black System III or Techno System would be my choice.

I recommend the Erica Synths Black System III to start with if you like the demos from the Erica Synths modules. I have a lot of their modules and love them and the Black Sequencer is one of the best modular sequencers and user friendly for beginners. That said, I also have the Make Noise Shared System and enjoy that but it is better suited for pure weird experimental type stuff. Erica Synths is more focused on techno and dance style music but can do ambient as well. Make Noise takes effort to make dance techno music. BUT half of the fun is building a custom instrument from different modules versus an all in one system from one company like Make Noise or Erica Synths. I started off two years ago with a Doepfer A100 Basic System 1 based on recommendations from my modular synth friends in southern California when I was brand new to modular and also because at the time there were no Make Noise or Erica Synths systems available for sale at the time. It was helpful and good Doepfer modules sound great and easy to use. I added to the case and now have different brands. Also check out Verbos Performance System they are expensive but analog and sound incredible. Building own system is the most fun however and best learning process.

Well you definitely need bigger travel case either get an Intellijel 7u case or the Tiptop Mantis case. Replace the massive Loquelic Iteritas Percido with either a Loquelic Iteritas or Manis Iteritas and replace the massive Erica Synths Blackhole DSP v2 with Happy Nerding FX Aid.

I went thru this recently to create a smaller travel setup instead of hauling monster case around. For my needs, I had to use at least two small travel cases to have sufficient modulation, sequencers, support tools and mixers. I was able to get a lot in my 4u Intellijel Palette case but did add 1u support modules like Apex, DVCA, and Milky Way 1u to free up space in the main case.

I put some modules in my new 7u Intellijel case today except for the Piques After Audio modules that I need to order. Here is my test setup:

ModularGrid Rack

I plan to use it with my 4u palette case or my 6u Doepfer case that has Batumi and O&C for modulation and envelopes.

Thoughts? I had fun making techno experimental on it this evening. So far I can do a lot just with this and my 4u palette case or my 6u Doepfer suitcase that has modules better suited in vertical position. This case focus is really a supplement to carry my sequencers in easy access for performance.

Thread: surgeon 2018

Definitely hope to meet Surgeon and you all one day at a future synth meetup. I am finishing up my mobile rig and so far have it down to one 6u Doepfer suitcase, a 4u Intellijel Palette case and a 7u Intellijel case. I can mix and match for easy travel.

I have one with base firmware and my OCP with Hemispheres just arrived today in the post so I need to see if this is possible.

I understand but did file claim in case lost or stolen package. FedEx delayed package today as well. Hope this covid crap ends soon.

Yeah it sucks because VJ at Ladik tried making excuses instead of just issue me refund. Now I have to deal with bank and credit card company over it. Other modules arrive from many other places.

well if Ladik takes your money and never send module it is bad deal.

So I ordered a module from Ladik a month ago and it never arrived. I asked VJ at Ladik for update and he kept saying shipping delays but I received other modules ordered at same time from Europe and Israel. So frustrating won't do that again.

Thread: Other VCAs

Frap Tools are very expensive priced modules as are Verbos modules plus very large sized. A friend has the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator and it sounds amazing. It is on my wishlist along with the Knobula Poly Cinematic oscillator. I want small polyphonic modules for my smaller cases to get big sound in travel setups. Acid Rain Chainsaw also sounds massive and is a small module.

Agree Jim,
I’m saving up for the Serge Eurorack and Tiptop Buchla modules. They are easy to read and sound amazing from what I’ve heard.

I’m with Lugia the Frap Tools modules make my head spin with the hieroglyphics labels and Instruo is like that to some degree as is Make Noise. I like the clear labels on Intellijel modules. Wish more makers could focus on clear easy to understand modules.

Ornament and Crime (O&C) is really good and easy to use. Definitely easier than disting ex which is a pain to learn.
I have a micro O&C with base software and a second O&C with Hemispheres on the way.

Mutable Instruments Shades is great tool and other similar modules to what Jim mentions like WMD SSF Toolbox. Sequential switches are fun tools also.

ALM Busy Circuits Tangle Quartet is another good quad VCA and mixer to consider.

I would go with Batumi instead of Maths as it takes up way less space and easier to use.

I have two Pamela's New Workout modules and my new favorite is Shakmat Clock O Pawn with Shakmat Time Wizard. No menu diving, easy to use and works great. It does not have as many features as Pam but far simpler to understand and use. I bought it as an extra clock and clock divider/multiply module to improve my understanding of clock modulation with Eurorack.
-- sacguy71

I was considering a second Pams for my drum skiff rework, but I think I am going to go with the Clock O Pawn/Time Wizard route. I want the drum rig to be as immediate/hands on as possible and that combo looks like tons of fun.

-- xnax
Oh yeah you will love Shakmat Clock O Pawn and Time Wizard! I get some cool tribal drum grooves with mine.

Yeah I agree Lugia and the thing is music has such a wide range of types and tastes. I mean take pop music today most of it sickens me and I don't listen to it. I like weird stuff like Kraftwerk, Art of Noise to modern metal music and jazz. I did get a new 7u Intellijel case to pair up with my 4u palette case and Doepfer 6u case so think it will be good for mobile stuff. I do want to get some more modulation sources as that is the thing I run out of the most in advanced patching. Dnipro Krait looks interesting for a modulation LFO type source and Divkid 0chd as well. I am having good results with the new Erica Synths Black Sequencer and Endorphin.es Ground control for my sequencers. Now I can save pattern presets for recall, multiple live playback modes across a dozen tracks and mix it up.

I have two Pamela's New Workout modules and my new favorite is Shakmat Clock O Pawn with Shakmat Time Wizard. No menu diving, easy to use and works great. It does not have as many features as Pam but far simpler to understand and use. I bought it as an extra clock and clock divider/multiply module to improve my understanding of clock modulation with Eurorack.

Thread: VCV 2.x out!

Ah Lugia, you have given me a valid reason to buy a new computer next year. I’m good on modular gear but my old computer needs a replacement.

BIA is my favorite single drum module so far in modular that I own since it can do so many things especially when fed tons of well crafted modulation. Plonk and Plaits also are superb because they can do drum and non drum sounds like bass, chords, and string instruments. You could almost craft a case out of sounds from a few Plonk, BIA, and Plaits modules and tons of modulation.

I needed another case with 1u row for travel and Perfect Circuit besides Intellijel was only place with the 7u cases in stock. I’ve waited a year to find one. I will pair it up with my 4u palette case and Doepfer 6u case for my portable rig.

Thread: First build

Darn it now I need a larger case for 3 rows to fit more modulation like the 4ms quad Lfo sorry just making observation on my part as I’m working on a similar build.

Thread: VCV 2.x out!

Woah that would be awesome use VCV Rack v2 as VST in Ableton and Ableton Push controller. Totally awesome!

fun jam learning to use the Erica Synths Black Sequencer with various patterns and options:

It is a very fun, powerful and easy to use sequencer! Eloquencer shares a lot in common but this is more user friendly with fewer button combos to learn. Hopefully they come out with an expansion module with more cv and gate control.