just trying to get my layout down. any ideas are welcome
-- Jaaz

I'm using my leftover modules to fill a 104hp 4u case. The current setup is extremely haphazard since it's all random leftovers.

Take a look - I want recommendations for what to do with what I already have, and what modules I should purchase to tie it all together into something fun. Plus your reasoning behind the choices.

Here are the raw materials:
- Black Intellijel 104hp 4u Pallette Case
- Mutable Instruments Rings
- Mutable Instruments Blades
- Mutable Instruments Clouds
- Mutable Instruments Branches
- Mutable Instruments Tides V2
- Mutable Instruments Braids
- Mutable Instruments Shades
- Mutable Instruments Ears
- Mutable Instruments Shelves
- Mutable Instruments Streams
- Befaco Kickall
- 2hp S+H
- Erica Synths Pico Seq
- Instruo Athru

Here's a link to all the modules in one place plus an empty case to work with:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm willing to add new modules - Go wild with your recommendations and reasoning!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

well kermit seems to be 12hp and zadar is 10hp - so purely from a size perspective zadar would seem to be the obvious choice...
-- JimHowell1970

Especially considering that this build also doesn't have any LFOs. Thankfully, you can get Zadar envelopes to loop, as I recall...

I'd advise bigger still - you have no room for expansion past what's in the 'bigger' case and imo 1u is a false economy - the cases that have it are expensive for what they are and often include superfluous functions that you may not need - midi and output modules are the main culprits here!
-- JimHowell1970

Yeah...you'll note I only put Intellijel tiles in there, treating the tile row as a second utility bus. It DID allow me to shift the modulation mixing/inversion/etc/so forth up to the QuadrATT, so that was a useful space-save for the 3U row. As for the I/O tiles, they're in so that the 1/4" case jacks are useful...so they went in, although I did make sure to go with that new "Stereo Mixer" tile. It allows easy parallel processing, or you can use it as a very basic crossfader, and it connects to the output 1/4" jacks just like the original Stereo Out.

But yes...Eurorack is like the grout mold in your shower: no matter what you do, it keeps growing! MY advice for a first cab would either be a Mantis or a reasonably-cheap portable cab like the ones Case From Lake builds. And in both situations, you're dealing with cases that have bigtime current capabilities so that your system never gets anywhere near its maximum draw.

Hey, is anyone able to recognize which effect is used here? I guess it’s a chorus effect but which one?

https://streamable.com/hkga2

Thanks!

A big batch of Magerit METRO is available! We celebrate it by releasing the new v2.6.0 firmware version. There are great changes and improvements:

• Accurate external clock sync
  • More FX parameters: Delay and Reverb amount
  • UI changes and cleaner design
  • Less RAM consume and much better performance
  • And much more! Take a look to the user manual (English and Spanish):
    https://www.magerit.es/download/Magerit-METRO.pdf

• There is a secret Easter egg. The first 10 people who find it will receive a 20€ coupon for our store!

I had the same predicament, finally went with kermit as my case won't fit modules with depth superior to 42mm. (waiting for it to arrive)

Hey there, sorry for the response time.
First of all, thanks to you all to have taken to time to answer me and to try to guide me throughout this journey, very kind and useful.

1/ Alltvin
Thanks a lot, I read it a bit, very useful indeed. I'll get back to it when I'll be more comfortable with the modules.

2/ Lugia
My english isn't that perfect so I didn't get everything you told me, but I've got the main parts ahah.
Yes my first thought was to get an 0-COAST and a 3-tier rack to complete the "Cheapsel" but at one point I wasn't so sure, I just wanted to jump directly into the modular, but I've realised now that it isn't the best solution for me now.
About the Intellijel, yeah you're probably right, money wise too. I just didn't wanted a big thing to start (Tiptop Audio Mantos), considering what I want to do, but as I've seen everywhere, everyone said that it's the best option, so why not. It was the 1U row and the options that attracted me, but I know that it's clearly not a good reason to buy it. Thinking of a getting a controller too, but maybe just the Keystep 37 to start with.

3/ sacguy71
I was already using VCV rack, but I gave up, not really my thing at the moment. But now with the V2 and my growing knowledge, I've took it back, and yeah, wonderful idea, don't know why I didn't do it before. I'll buy the Patch & Tweak book too. Patience is the key in this world.

Thanks a lot!

Clément

OK I'll give you my two cents on this.

If you count filter banks into this then two honorable mentions are the Res EQ (wait for v2, it will have CV control) and Monotropa (mine has a mod for tone control inside the feedback path, a "baxandall tilt EQ"). Those two are absolutely nuts. Especially the Res EQ is very non-linear and sounds gnarlier than anything else. You move only one band and the whole sound changes. Turning up a low band can make the sound brighter and vice-versa. It's completly crazy, you need to try it. Both are absolutely mental for feedback patching. If you decide for a Monotropa please buy it from RTFM on modular grid. He will build you one for a very fair price with the tone control mod that I mentioned. It's AWESOME!

The best dual/stereo filter for pinging, oscillations and FM is the Blades right now in my opinion. You have CV over the filter mode, routing and resonance. Especially resonance CV is a feature I absolutely love, every filter should have it.

The best bang for buck filters with a character are the Bastl Cinnamon (harsher distortion, square-wavy) and the Doepfer Wasp (bubbly, with a slight fuzz from transistor distortion). They both sound amazing. Feature wise the Cinnamon has more to offer, it has VCA in it as well. Sound wise I would prefer the Wasp. Theres no filter like it. Even the clones don't sound quite like it. The Dual Wasp from Haible did not have the same sound unfortunately. The wasp filter can make these amazing bubbly, wet, water droplet type of sounds. Pairs perfectly with a benjolin and some reverb, love it. Highly recommended. You can get one on the used market for 50€, absolute no-brainer.

Now for my favourite filter category: Slope Generators, the most versatile filters out there. One of them is Inertia by New Systems Instruments. I think it has the most impressive function density I have seen on a filter. It can be used as V/Oct-tracking oscillator, filter, slew, envelope generator, LFO, frequency divider, phase shifter, envelope follower and phase-locked-loop. The thing sounds absolutely crazy. The filter sounds that come out of it sound very "saw like". Like stepped or spiky, razor sharp. Beautiful module, phenomenal sound. Expensive but totally worth it. Very rewarding when experimenting and useful both as utilty, sound source or modulator.

The other slope generator I want to mention is the Quad Slope from CGS. That thing is totally bananas as well. Using the inputs of the envelopes for filtering essentially makes it a quad filter as well. Whats special about it is that the boundaries between what is an LFO, what is a filter, what is an envelope and what is a slew are disappearing. Super fun to crosspatch the envelopes, it makes one "filter" or "envelope" modulate another one for example. You can do that with all four of them. Ranging all the way from sub-audio territory (LFO range, slewing) to audio territory (oscillator, filtering). Super fun to do. I wish it had a "cycle switch" tho. You need to patch the TRIG OUT to the TRIG IN every time to get it to cycle, pretty annoying. Best envelope out there tho.

The only filter that I really want to try still that is also completly crazy and that I will 100% buy at some point is the Sprott from IFM.
Since I have never used it I cannot comment on it but it's a chaotic filter that plays with the "bounds & bounce" theme that Peter Blasser introduced. Maximum GAS for me :)

I don’t believe the Doepfer SEM is capable of self oscillation if that is important to you. It’s a very classic sound. Very late-70s/early-80s vibe. Definitely on my shortlist.
-- farkas

Possibly related to this post, I just found out this weekend that the Doepfer Extreme Filter A-106-1 indeed is capable of self oscilation, and to my surprise to an audible and absolutely usable level. Im not sure I remember the patch correctly, but it definitely involved no audio oj the inputs (obviously) and the use of the send/return jacks (I think I just amplified the module's natural send output and routed back without creating an obvious loop.
Im sorry I dont remember and this is my first post in this forum, so if anyone ever finds this useful and/or you want to know the exact patch, let me know..

well kermit seems to be 12hp and zadar is 10hp - so purely from a size perspective zadar would seem to be the obvious choice...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi,
Here is my rack
ModularGrid Rack
I am looking to get the one that would allow more experimental stuff
So
ZADAR or KERMIT ??
thanks

Thanks Guys.another Thing I have a pams new workout can I clock the BST to that?
-- Broken-Form

I should think so - check the manual

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks Guys.another Thing I have a pams new workout can I clock the BST to that?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

+1 what Jim is saying…I started with just a Rackbrute 6U and that was all I was ever going to have…now it’s 2x Rackbrute 6U and a Rackbrute 3U :) I wanted some flexibility to use modular with some of the other stuff in my studio (Minibrute 2, Hydrasynth) and to be able to mix/match smaller setups to take with me when I wanted. If I were in your shoes though I would definitely get a Mantis as suggested… you can still just fill it with a few modules like a smaller setup would allow but you will have lots of room to grow if (well when) you decide to add more

JB

I'd advise bigger still - you have no room for expansion past what's in the 'bigger' case and imo 1u is a false economy - the cases that have it are expensive for what they are and often include superfluous functions that you may not need - midi and output modules are the main culprits here!

get a tiptop mantis instead and there will be space left over so the inevitable 2nd case is further off...

the mantis is best balance of hp/cost/manufacturer reputation/good power supply there is...

getting a tiny case 62hp and planning a 2nd 62hp cases immediately is a waste of money!

and spending a little bit more to buy a mantis will at worst set you back a month or so on buying a module - and you should go slowly buying modules anyway so that you learn them properly rather than superficially, before adding more modules...

This is a live cover of the original Scooby Doo theme I did last year. The feedback at the end is entirely from my modular, but the bass, "piano", and organ sounds in this instance originated from my Casio and Nord keyboards, which were then processed through my modular system:

Hey Lucia,

Thank you for putting so much time of building a modular set up, it’s a beast of a rig. Yeah I think I limit myself with the 62 hp case maybe that’s the cause of my head, trying to put so much into a small case think that’s where I got over my head. I have to say it did fried my brain 4 vco wow but everything You said does make sense in the rig. I wonder if I can get another 62 hp case and combine them. Would that Disrupt the flow of the modules ?

Again I appreciate your input and I really want to do this rig , going to see if I can get a bigger case here. I really thought I can do a nice little rig on a small set up but I think What I’m asking for Has to be in a bigger rig to accomplish my music goal I’m trying to achieve and it seems that I may have to go Big here.

Happy Sounds
-Alex-

"Hot from the Ukraine"... Hot from Tenerife more like, according to what Igorr wrote in the announcement post for this module on Modwiggler! so he's safe and sound on Tenerife and setting up shop there...
-- JimHowell1970

Neat! And safer...the Canaries have a lot less problems with the airborne lead content! Also looks like Paratek's also found a way around the Russia embargo by funneling transactions via Kazakhstan.

But then...what would you EXPECT from people who play musical instruments that work like big puzzles?

Well, right off the bat, the cab's a bit small. Even if you're aiming for a basic-type rig, 62 hp + tiles is really tight, which leads to one of two outcomes:

1) You wind up with a bunch of 2-4 hp modules and then learn how to program a modular synth with a pair of tweezers. Or...

2) You use more or less "normal" modules, but then run out of room for the entire thing.

One thing about trying to build a drum machine in Eurorack, also...it's expensive AF and when compared to present-day drum machine offerings, you won't get your money's worth. Typically, when someone tries this, the costs for JUST the drum machine part can typically run $1-2k; contrast that with most any drum machine on the market presently. And it's not like you can't use a typical drum machine with a modular...the synth should be able to "speak" whatever sync signal is incoming, and if your modular has some way to trigger its sounds from an external source (MIDI, typically), you can still use the modular's sequencer to send triggers...either directly, or over MIDI.

Gonna mess with this for a bit...
[SEVERAL WEEKS LATER]
OK...check THIS out...
ModularGrid Rack
So, I tossed the 62 hp cab and shifted up to Intellijel's Palette 104...for obvious reasons! Those smaller cabs are really more for "mission-specific" builds, in the end...say, if I wanted to add a "deeper" modulation core to my gear, that size would be fine. But an entire synth doesn't fit nicely in something like that, as noted above. So...what we got here?

TILES: Stereo input on the left...allows you to input a stereo signal for processing via the modular. Noise Tools is next, providing a master clock (you can use that to drive the Pam's, btw), noise source, sample & hold, and portamento. QuadrATT after that to handle various mixing duties. This would mainly be for jumbling up modulation sources as each pot is an attenuverter, meaning that you can invert the polarity of a signal...so if you want something to go DOWN at the same rate something else goes UP, QuadrATT's your boy. MIDI next...then Intellijel's stereo VCA, which gets followed by their Stereo Mixer. By having a stereo VCA like this, you can have sounds "fly in" against others...for instance, the Clouds clone can be via the VCA, dry out direct. Then patch FX VCA into one pair, dry mix in the other, then let a modulation source "turn up" the VCA so that the Clouds effect gets slightly delayed and fades up, instead of the usual T60 profile of peak-to-zero of a reverb, etc. Lots of twisty things.

ROW: Pam's is back. But THIS time, it's got something to gnaw on: a Xaoc Moskva II sequencer. I really like the circular programming ring for the on/off/skips and CV values, plus this thing is really capable as far as 8-step sequencers go. Full of tricks, in short! Then you've got a quad LFO, Xaoc's Batumi (and it's got its expander), then an After Later dual VCA (topology based on Mutable's Veils VCAs). That and the QuadrATT are your "mod core" for altering and mixing modulation signals to get more...what else?...modulation signals. This is how you can get LOADS of useful signals out of a handful of modulators. After that, Zadar for four channels of envelopes (and it also has its expander).

Then I melt your brain...this has FOUR VCOs. And they've got internal quantization, they do wavetable synthesis, can be internally modulated, and on and on...those Klavis Twin Waves IIs are serious! In this case, I've got things semi-set up so that the VCO 2 in each works best as an FM modulator for VCO 1, with VCO 1 being the "voice" oscillator. Two more VCAs, then a dual SVF from Happy Nerding...or is it one really complicated VCF? Well...it's potentially BOTH. And after that, yep, VCAs...remember, you can NEVER have too many of these. They make these things GO, pretty much. After the VCAs, then the Alyseum Q-mix gives you four pannable input channels and your audio chain master. The last thing there is the aforementioned Clouds clone; yeah, it's a clone, but the knob layout here isn't as bad as others'. And having a granular module to mess with your audio is a real "must" these days, so this can either...

1) be used as a "passthru" from the Q-mix to the Stereo Mixer tile, controlling the wet/dry balance on the Clouds clone, or

2) be used as a separate effect by using the mults in the "toolbar" to split out "dry" audio (and send the output to one stereo input pair) and "processing" audio (which gets sent to the other stereo input, either straight or via the Stereo VCA).

Both work really well. Note also that I put the "toolbar" on this so you can keep in mind that you've got the various buffered mults, adders, jacks and all that in the build. Useful thing, that.

So, yeah...this has a lot more going on in terms of both modules AND sonic capabilities. This should keep you busy for a hot minute or three. Plus, it's a good illustration of the difference that you can get with a basic case resize.

Thread: used parts

Kickass! I love these suggestions. Thank you.
I have the B100 System because it was extremely cheap to buy as used parts, and as far as I can tell seem to be good quality stuff precisely assembled etc.
The 4ms EnsOsc is quite special, and makes sounds within musical parameters (of which I know nothing), but I've figured out how things relate to each other and how to get various sounds out of it repeatedly. Its the center of my operations, that and the two LFOs.
the last patch I did was the LFOs driving the EnsOsc and the Quark quark driving the CrossFM, and clock is split into the Quark and both LFOs & Disting mk4 (set to B4), is Then I mult and mix into a quad output.
What Id like to pursue is something that would end up making -I dont even know how to explain it. Any and all idea are helpful, and these ways of thinking are priceless.
Thank you.

Hi, what do your patches look like now? Any particular type of groove? That could help. "basically inventing stuff as I go" is pretty much the way to go IMO. Any output to any input is a good mindset whe you feel a little overwhelmed... Also "let me duplicate that and see where that goes" and "does that respond to audio rate" can be fun, especially for modulation.
For a module... If you like the 100 series... The sequencer is worth a look... Clock, control and pitch... Frees up an lfo and Can open up some new doors... Even if your making Simi-generative stuff

Cheers
-- Dub007

"I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing, and I hope some day to be in a position to do even less." -D Grey.

Wow really cool! Would love to chain those effects :)

The fourth EDU module from Erica Synths that I’ve built, this is their sequencer.
A very basic sequencer, not something you’d probably use in your rack. The other EDU modules you might, but probably not this one. Good build except for some VERY tight space soldering, not great layout on some components.
And as always with these modules, the manual (which you can download for free without buying the kit) is superior, a great practical guide to electronics for music.

EDU Sequencer build

Definitely going to have to make room for this.

The Vortices feels like it needs its own dedicated Mixer to go with the Mixer ;-)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

An example: let's say you've got four loops: 0:30, 0:27, 0:11, and 0:18. Start them at the same time, and then the next time those will line up in that way will be nearly 45 hours later (30 x 27 x 11 x 18 / 60 / 60 = one period of all loops). Pretty effective, really.

-- Lugia

The math is a bit off here: the least common multiple of 30, 27, 11, 18 is 5940, so the loops will repeat after 99 minutes (which is still pretty effective). Changing the lengths to 31, 29, 11, 19 will get you 52+ hours.

The least common multiple of two numbers is their product divided by their greatest common divisor. The greatest common divisor can be computed by Euclid's algorithm, probably the oldest recorded algorithm (circa 300 BC). Euclid's algorithm can be adapted to evenly distribute beats in a bar, leading to the Euclidean rhythms one hears about in the modular world.

have you tried selecting them in datasheet view and then copying and pasting them?
-- JimHowell1970

Unfortunately, yeah, I tried that but the output doesn't seem to lend itself to a copy + paste. There's some formatting weirdness I guess I need to work around, and this is even working with plain text.

I's no biggie, but it would be really cool to be able to export a list of modules into a file format. I'm kinda surprised Modular Grid doesn't already allow for this given the Venn diagram of Eurorack enthusiasts and spreadsheet nerds must have some overlap.

-- mattmarque

As somebody who had long resigned myself to the data sheet copy/paste-into-spreadsheet workflow (with some find and replace for "ma", "mm", and "hp" in the appropriate columns), I just learned via this thread that you can view a rack as XML or JSON, under two conditions:

1. The rack belongs to a Unicorn account;
  2. The rack is not private.

Just add .xml or .json to the end, download the file, import elsewhere. For all modules, create a new rack large enough to fit all of them and then add all of your modules. Converting it for a spreadsheet is left as an exercise for the reader...

ℹ︎nformation source | Bandcamp | YouTube

there is actually no perfect module!

"you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time"

"Hot from the Ukraine"... Hot from Tenerife more like, according to what Igorr wrote in the announcement post for this module on Modwiggler! so he's safe and sound on Tenerife and setting up shop there...

This looks awesome

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I'm coming to believe that there is actually no perfect module, unless you buy all modules from 1 manufacturer or maybe 1 long row of just Mutable Instruments!

Take the great mixer from SSF, the Vortices, I'd like to have all my mixing done at the bottom right hand side of my case but to get anything like good ergonomics with the Vortices it has to go 1 row up, then I have a Happy Nerding 4x Mix the row above feeding the Vortices using Tendrils patch leads so I can access the Vortices knobs. I also have a HN PanMix Jr but that is back-connected to the 4x Mix.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Hello 33PO

Thank you so much for replying, what I feel like I was missing was rhythm, knob control and less menu driving. I wanted to use eurorack and a drum machine combo make a smaller size since I don’t have much room and getting rid of Roland and the Behringer ,I like Pam‘s new workout its very powerful but I didn’t feel like a great workflow going into each section and changing parameters didn’t feel as inspiring than using dedicated knobs for each sound. I know very hard describe what I am trying to say. I am going to check out the ones you suggested ,varigate sounds interesting. I appreciate your recommendation suggestions I’m gonna check it out into research thank you so much again.

Cheers -Alex

This looks like a really good starter system. There are a lot of opportunities to discover sounds by sending modulations from Pams to BIA and Sample Drum.

What do you feel like you're missing?

The 1u Midi interface would allow tighter integration with your Roland and Behringer

A dedicated audio mixer might be useful. There's an Intellijel 1u option or Mixup are designed to work with the case outputs

If you want to do manual rhythm sequencing Steppy or Varigate would be a nice addition. Take a look at Zularic or Numeric Repetitor if you want to discover interesting rhythmic patterns. Euclidian Circles does rhythms based on mathematic divisions

If you want melodies Varigate can be set for 2x Gate + 2x CV... and it can act as a master clock for Voltage Block. Some other good melody sequencing options would be: Scales, Pico SEQ, Super Sixteen or Bloom. People love or hate Bloom so research before you buy

Hello All,

This is my first post and first time getting into modular.A little about myself ,I am 40 years old army veteran ,I have no music background (started 5 month ago), I find myself doing a little bit of ambient music and Doing a lot of techno. I do have gear but I want to step into the world of eurorack. I feel like I can get more control over my sounds in my approach to music ,simplifying workflow since I know little to none about scales and creating melodies .I love drum machine and been learning a lot about them, been using it as a Meditation tool, making cool noises and relaxing. Occasionally I just like not stressing about accomplishing anything really.

So I am here for help like need alot of help because this Became complicated for me and over my head. I did learn about vco,vcf and etc .but their so much module Brands ,that it became confusing. Suggestions are very welcome please. I have some modular that I own. Which I post with thread here. Maybe this is a good start but don’t know where to go from here.

Looking for easy rhythm making, making Ambient/techno sounds and controling/discovering sound.

I appreciate everybody here taking your time reading my post and I want to thank you and happy making music.
Alex-

Modular I have :

Erica synth Sample drum
Pamela new workout
basimilus iteritas alter
quadratt 1u
intellijel 62hp case

Gear I am using :
Roland mc-101
Behringer td-3

Okay i see, but I think it would have been practical to put everything at the top or at the bottom instead of splitting them.
Have a look at the "omnimod" or maybe the Bitbox when it is upside down.

The way it is now, you will want to put it in front of you (at the top of your rack), but the cable at the top will come on the screen, then you will want to put it close to you (at the bottom of your rack) but then the cable at the bottom will annoy you. So literally, you are obliged to put it in the middle of your case.

It is just a personal thought on the design, would have been perfect with this little modification, but in the overall the Pro version seems great. I already have the 6hp one, so I will definitely be looking for the pro.

Keep the good work!
Cheers :)

All right, all right! I have added the Donner B1 on my wish list :-)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks,
So many people prefer CVs on top and were asking me for upside down versions of the front panels.
Plus current layout has more space to twist the knobs while CV cable are on top.

Amazing!

Woaw! It looks great! :)
But why putting the "CV IN" at the top when you have space in the bottom ?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-fx-aid-pro

Looks like Igor's doing OK and he's cooked up something with big abuse potential! I know that lots of users here dig the FX Aid XL and its non-XL sibling...so HN's gone and done this. I approve!

Disting does all you need.

-- John_V

Except for having the ability to move a micro SD card from it to a PC for loading.

And to the OP: that's a function that any sampler you get should have these days. You can do much more in the assembly and processing of signals for looping in the computer, then moving those results via the card to the sampler. Also, another very effective way of dealing with sample length limitations is to set up a bunch of related or even near-identical on the card for simultaneous playback. If these sample loops are of inequal length, you'll get a backdrop that's constantly in flux and, if you do the math right, COMPLETELY non-repeating. This is how I can use a fairly limited device like the Zoom ST-224 as a "background generator"; if I have several similar stereo loops running at the same level but with no means of synchronization, this sounds indistiguishable from a single stereo background track.

An example: let's say you've got four loops: 0:30, 0:27, 0:11, and 0:18. Start them at the same time, and then the next time those will line up in that way will be nearly 45 hours later (30 x 27 x 11 x 18 / 60 / 60 = one period of all loops). Pretty effective, really.

I'm supremely interested in why you would want to do this?
-- irq506

There's probably quite a few reasons, all directly related to being able to have ALL module specs onhand, or to work out cost-effective changes. But the former is really important, as that'll certainly include current draws, and having all current draws on the same page is excellent and can help someone plan out their build. They used to have a function here (which is still here, just hidden) known as the "shopping list" that had all of that info on a single, printable spreadsheet-ish output, but I can see why some people might want a spreadsheet to help make final decisions.

Fun? No, it's beyond that...the B1 is the first 303 clone (or in this case, 303 "reimagining") that I've heard across the 25+ years of 303 clone attempts that really behaves like the TB-303. And there has been a metric fuckton of those attempts over that timespan...with none of them nailing the REAL issues, those being the ones with the glide function and with how it deals with accents and ties. So, having watched all of that flailing from everyone from tiny boutique firms to big, huge multinationals, it's been both a shocker AND laff-riot to see Donner, with their very first synth offering, NAIL IT! No, it doesn't look like a TB-303 (actually, it makes more sense when in use!) but it sure as hell sounds like one.

Reminds me: I need to bug them about the possibility of adding a "kill" function to the VCO. At present, audio inputs get mixed along with the VCO, and if you wanted to use the B1 as a sequenced filter, that would be a problem. But since a lot of what's going on inside can be altered via firmware dumps (and Donner really wants to know what users would like to add to the firmware, when possible), it might be possible to have that function added.

Hello everyone,
I'm currently looking for a sampler for specific purposes. I like to use field recordings to give a song a certain surface. These are usually around 5 minutes long. The sampler should therefore have no problem with long samples. I would also like to store my own synth engines on it and control them via CV/gate. A granular function is not important to me. I think Morphagene also has a lot of potential but the recording time is limited. I've only read good things about Squid Sample but unfortunately too short with 11s recording time. The only module I found is the 1010 Bitbox micro. Are there any other alternatives?

-- FWGW

Disting does all you need.

Good stuff :) a good relaxing plod along.

Thread: used parts

Hi, what do your patches look like now? Any particular type of groove? That could help. "basically inventing stuff as I go" is pretty much the way to go IMO. Any output to any input is a good mindset whe you feel a little overwhelmed... Also "let me duplicate that and see where that goes" and "does that respond to audio rate" can be fun, especially for modulation.
For a module... If you like the 100 series... The sequencer is worth a look... Clock, control and pitch... Frees up an lfo and Can open up some new doors... Even if your making Simi-generative stuff

Cheers

Perfect sale from @op1user.
Also, a rare face to face transaction... Was cool.

It's been a while since I've shared something here, and I was a bit hesitant to share this one because even if all the sounds are from the modular, my workflow has been leaning towards the DAW. I record samples or even full jams from the modular and then just copy/paste the parts I like the most.

Being a hobbyist, when I started with the modular I didn't really have a musical style or an idea of what I wanted to create with it. I think going with the DAW helped me define the kind of music I want to make without having to deal with the limitations of my current setup. 

The next step will be to figure out how to do everything on the modular and stop using the computer. I've been thinking about getting a bitbox micro or even an octatrack. That way my workflow could still be sample based and I wouldn't need a huge modular system.

Then there are some tricks I like doing, like the break at 2:13, where I mute six tracks at once and I bring a new one in. I still haven't figured out how to do that with the modular, probably with a bunch of mutes and switches, but I still have to think about it and see what approach works best for me.

Most of the sounds are from the MI Plaits. I've also used the Crossfold Antimatter a lot here. It is a fantastic module and I've used it in all my patches since I purchased it. The final arrangement, EQ and compression was done in Ableton Live.

This isnt an answer.
I'm supremely interested in why you would want to do this? Is the data usable in a daw? -genuine question!

"I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing, and I hope some day to be in a position to do even less." -D Grey.