yes it is

and congratulations on choosing a case that is a decent size!

if you don't already have (all) these modules then:

black pams may be unobtanium - iirc it was a limited edition!

plenty of space = no reason not to buy an original plaits - not only better ergonomics, but Emilie, the original designer, gets paid!

you probably don't need the adsr - unless you are planning on playing with a (cv) keyboard - I'd swap this for a bi-polar lfo - doepfer will do perfectly well

are you planning on sequencing from pams?

how are you planning on listening?

next purchase VCAs - don't skimp - get a quad (veils, perhaps) - you may not think you need them now, but you will - they are just as useful for modulation as for audio

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Monologue Mode activated: Just ordered the Noise Reap Paradox after watching the Demo once again.

It's a start

Hi Lugia,
Really appreciate this. I was reading through the replies and was hoping you responded as the advice you have been giving generally has been wonderful and the rationale behind your selections shows great insight. Thankyou so much for this as I wouldn't have thought about these modules and was looking at the typical famous modules like Maths and Pam's New Workout which I see in most peoples racks. I think you call these the 'shiny' modules. :)

It's unlikely I will be playing live, its more of a serious hobby for me but I would like to multitrack into a DAW. Should I consider the ES-8 and if so what should I be losing please?

You are right the AM Synths VCF is too deep for that other case but I really like this filter and to be honest was one of the reasons I did the deal on a job lot for some of the modules along with the case which is a custom built 240 hp weedy whizz case so ideally I would like to keep the module in the main weedy whizz case. If I did this would you recommend that I just do a straight swap for the Korgasmatron?

Thanks

Here we go...now, you'll notice that I yanked some modules from this. This doesn't mean you should get rid of them; rather, retain those for the drum rack (and yes, DO put the drums in that separate skiff) with the possible exception of the AM Synths VCF and the A-137-2, both of which may be too deep for most skiff-type cases.
ModularGrid Rack
My usual routine's in effect here...voicing up top, modulation/control down, flow is left to right.

The additions to the top row include a slew limiter for portamento, a Tiptop Fold (which really IS a waveshaper; the Doepfer module is more akin to a sawtooth animator) that also lets you combine signals, plus you get an octave divider for Roland SH-101-type suboscillator behavior. Then further down, an FX Aid XL for your effects processing, then a Toppobrillo Stereomix2 which gives you VCA control over level, panning, and AUX send over four channels, plus an effects send/return for the FX Aid XL, a cue function for on-the-spot tuning needs, and mutes per input channel. I added a Happy Nerding Isolator because, if you plan on using this live, it's a very good idea to have transformer isolation to deal with dodgy venue power issues that can cause ground loops, noise, crud, etc. And you can hit it a little hard and the transformers will do that transformer saturation thing for a tad extra warmth.

Bottom row was majorly screwed with. I put the Cre8 stuff at the end so that you can have a little live controller and additional manual "bleepmaker" that you can send up to the voicing row, either going to the 4-in mixer, one of the Fold inputs, or the Eudaemona's mixer. Then I added noise and sample and hold with a Doepfer A-118-2, and a Temps Utile for timing generation and extra sequencing, plus it has a channel for CV output that can emulate a Turing Machine, etc, which will be useful for tampering with modulation behavior. After the Branches, I put in one of Tesseract's CVable dual Boolean gates, which now opens up the capabilities of the LL8 vs. a Temps output or two for more complex timing. Following the LL8, I then added an Octone, which is a quantized 8-step CV sequencer to complement the LL8. AfterLater's DVCA is next, giving you two more Veils-clone VCAs for your modulation control, then we're all on the old modules until the Quadrax/Qx, which now gives you four cascadeable EGs. The last 1 hp sliver there is a Konstant Labs PWRchekr, which lets you keep an eye on your DC rail health.

This is a lot more complex and capable now...and hovers right between a good studio synth AND an ample live one. As I noted, don't chuck out the removed modules...save them for the drum skiff instead (if they fit), as they'll be really useful over there.

Thread: Vocal Track

First attempt at a vocal track, a cappella downloaded from Splice, chopped, overdubs, FX through the modular.

All the usual suspects.

BIA: kick, and some perc
FX-Aid - copius use, effects, resampling, overdubbing
Bat-Verb - copius use, effects, resampling, vox
Dixie II+ - Some bass duties, With Instruo I-o47 Filter, Maths envelopes, Bat Verb, FH-2
Blackbox -sampling, resampling
Pyramid - Drum Sequencing
U-He - Zebra Pad
Typon
Studio-One Arranging and mixing

Thread: Next step?

Turing Machines and Marbles are a bit different. They both deal with random signals, but where the Marbles is more like an elaborate sample and hold harnessed to circuitry similar to the Buchla SOU, the TM is more like a sequencer that's being driven by and feeding out randomness. They're CLOSE...but what you'll need there is really up to your methods of working and such.

As for better logic stuff, have a look at https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-vc-logics Now, this offers two Boolean gates...but you can use CV to control WHICH gating method is in use. So you could actually sequence how your sequencer is timed with a module like this, resulting in a generative timing "feedback" path...plus, you can sequence (or modulate) the VC Logics so that it can change your entire timing behavior across big swaths of the rig, resulting in BIG generative changes to the overall timing. Major abuse potential with this thing...and it, plus some fixed Booleans like the BOOL2 you have or Doepfer's A-166, and a few comparators to "pick off" timing gates based on modulation levels, would really punch the generative timing aspects WAY up!

Thanks, helpful to see someone going in a similar direction and some other interesting modules to think about. Yes, agree about the Mutable originals - could be a good use of my spare space.

Hi

Could someone help me with this build please? Basically I was lucky enough to do some good deals over Christmas and was able to amass the following modules based on a couple of purchases from people who wanted to get out of Eurorack. I have another 84 hp available as well from a nifty case which has a lot of i/o built into it as well as the space in this rack.

I'd like to have a system that allows me to write house/techno tunes on it and was thinking the top row for drum voices and bottom for synth voices or I could dedicate the 84hp from the nifty case for drums and the main rack for synth voices and sequences? Just don't know. Could any of you fine people help me with organising this rack so the modules sit better from a patching perspective and suggest other modules that I should invest in to turn this into a complete system please?

ModularGrid Rack

Thread: New Track

Thanks @GarfieldModular, I am working on several more. I also grabbed an a cappella sample to try my hand at a vocal track. I will get this out in the next few days always love your feedback.

Thread: Kallax

The Kallax shelving unit has four rooms of 64HP width each - leaving 6mm space for 2xPlywood panels. It was a perfect match and it had to be done :-) I've bought "sink in" screws, I suspect I will be able to squeeze the rack in with those screw heads providing resistance to hold it in place without any other support. That is the plan at least :-)

The Rack now has an Erica Synths Pico DSP, so I have now removed my computer from the equation - at least I can play around with the Moog synths without having to hook up my Mac & Logic.

Super old question,. but curious if you found a solution? I was wondering if perhaps the Lifeforms was expecting a certain ppqn or something, but everything I've read shows that it can clock extremely slow rates, and even irregular pulses. Then I was wondering how it handles super fast rates.

Ever get it working?

I love this company, if I had my time over again I would just buy everything they do and make a case comprising entirely Feedback modules and revel in the glory of that sound!

Spotted this in the Marketplace and I can't believe it is going for this price:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/offers/view/393192

Wicked delay! Bags of character!! An absolute bargain for a discerning wiggler!

I would snap that up if I hadn't built my own...

p.s. I have no affiliation with the seller or Feedback!

You'll get much better advice from others on this forum, but I'm on a similar path with the ES9 + Ableton + Piston Honda

My suggestion would be to start slow. Get ES9 and Plaits then figure out where you want to go

Honda paired with a Zadar or Kermit for modulation is an amazing standalone drone machine

Authentic Mutable Instruments modules quality and ergonomics are worth the expense and HP.

I was headed to this rack, but got sidetracked
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks again for good advice!
Do you think I need a Turing machine when I have MI Marbles?
I also have Ladik B-010 Boolean logic module. What ”beefed-up” module do you think could be a complement?

alt text

Hi all,

Above is my finished attempt at a modular I'm aiming to build. I've quite a lot of experience with DAW's, VST's, drum machines, and even some classic hardware synths, but this is the first modular synth I'll be putting together. I feel like I've done my research but I'm sure there's a ton I don't know, and would appreciate hearing some input, finding out where the holes are, etc.

The aim for this modular is for IDM/techno/electronic, working with Ableton to generate MIDI and an Analog Rtym drum machine - mainly studio focussed. The goal would be to take MIDI out as CV from the ES-9, run everything around the modular, and then back into the ES-9 so that I can record individual tracks - hence no sequencer. This will allow me to do after-effects processing on the individual channels within Ableton (e.g. reverb, sidechaining, etc) - hence the limited number of effects in the rack. The modular would not be built all at once - I would aim to start with about 50-60% of this, mainly so I can learn each module.

Thoughts on the rack:

1. MIDI would come out from the ES-9 into the Pam's, to clock the whole rack. I've added a few other utilities (clock divider, mult, sample & hold) and then the Marbles clone Pachinko - this would allow me to use MIDI sequences from Ableton but still have some measure of randomization and shifting.

2. I'm aiming to have one pure analog oscillator (Instruo Ts-L), and I decided to add the Instruo VCA for it, for good measure. The Plaits clone because gives a wide range of sound options, and then the Piston Honda because I love the sound, I'd like a different form of synthesis (wavetable), and because I can use it to feed other audio through it - not just as a pure oscillator.

3. The Quadrax with expander (plus the Maths below it) seems to give me quite a lot of options on envelopes/LFO's.

4. Morgasmatron provides options to run the filters independently or together, which I like the flexibility of - plus I like what I've heard from them.

5. The 2 noise engineering modules plus the Happy Nerding Tritone are aiming to give me some options on saturation and distortion - also the Noise Engineering modules, both the filter and low-pass gate give me another option on filters (and I would like at least one LPG module - I like the short decay "ping" sounds).

6. The Doepfer VCA's I'm a little unsure of - I know I will need a number of VCA's, and this seemed an effective means of using them - but another alternative would be 2x Happy Nerding 3-VCA's, or the Quad VCA from Intellijel

7. The Morphagene - I just love the sounds of these, and it gives me lots of options to gain anything from background ambience to effects.

8. Finally the ST Mixer would allow me to mix some sounds together before the ES-9, and the Disting is really just to allow me to test out different functions / fill any gaps that I may have.

The questions I would have is - does this fundamentally work or is it a mess, are there any other module recommendations, and finally I do have some blank spots left - which I'm assuming I'll end up filling with utilities - but are there any recommendations for these?

Open to any and all criticism!

You'd be wise to listen to Lugia's advice.

Marbles is a natural for what you described, but also check out Bloom if you want deliberate direction to your generated sequences. Warning: Bloom is a love it or hate it module. Read the reviews

Zadar is amazing and can add slowly evolving complex modulation to your ambient soundscapes

Everyone needs Maths or another DUSG

Effects to check out:
FX aid is a favorite for traditional effects.
Make Noise Morphagene, Mimeophone for creative effects
Qu-Bit Nebulae
Instruo arbhar or Lúbadh

Hello, thank you all for your ideas! Links +kinks is a cool idea on expanding the m32, and they would provide utility even after I pull the m32 out indue time. Im not looking for a fully generative build yet, rather I am looking for ways to add dynamic control over what I have, to add life and interest to sequences and drones. But I do like the idea of spontaneous sequences that can be captured and repeated. So maybe a marbles, links, kinks, and a multiple lfo source, instead of stages for now. That optimizes my current setup and leaves me with useful additions as my collection (slowly) grows. Once again, the m32 is simply a temporary placeholder until I can fill the space it occupies with more efficient modules and open the possibilities further! For the time being I have money for a few new modules right now; just trying to make the most useful additions to my setup bit by bit. Thanks again everyone.

this user has left ModularGrid

Hi Ivo,

Ha, ha, that's a nice little fun track. Lots of funny & interesting sounds. I hope you will make one day a bit longer track out of that one? :-)

Thank you very much sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks for checking it out. I probably won’t develop this one in particular because it was more of an exercise than anything else, but I will definitely write some songs in a similar style in the near future. Currently I’m waiting on a few more modules to arrive and while I wait I’m learning the newer modules as well as mapping out how I want to approach working with the two Nerdseqs. Cheers!

Hi Brunomolteni,

He, he, I like your tracks, always full loaded with energy and you always have here and there something in for a surprise! :-)

Your camera view is fun, looks like you nailed your modular against the wall ;-)

Well at least you nailed it here with this track, thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Mog00,

Oh this is lovely music, could easily listen to an entire album of this kind of music. Nice relaxed, finishing off the day and then I am good to go for another day :-)

Nice work this, thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Mowse,

Oh yes, this is a great dessert to me, the cherry on top of the cake :-) Though, if I listen carefully, particularly this track sounds like lovely chocolate ice cream to me! After your first track, this second track really sweetly finishes it off, hence the dessert.

A fantastic start into this new week, thanks to you! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Ivo,

Ha, ha, that's a nice little fun track. Lots of funny & interesting sounds. I hope you will make one day a bit longer track out of that one? :-)

Thank you very much sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi everybody

I'm interested in having some of you experts here look over my rack design to make sure I've got what I need, that I'm not missing anything important, and if anyone has any gear suggestions/substitutions to improve my rack design (modules, flow, ...).

I see this rack as a sort of compliment/companion to my EP. It should replace my current midi keyboard/laptop/VST plugins combination, mainly to generate complex sounds, voices and simple sequences. The rack will be controlled from the EP over midi (or a from the midi controller keyboard).

Analog output from the rack to a Motu 624 where I can do some final processing and mixing. The Motu is also my interface with Ableton.

I deliberately choose to have no drum modules and no complex sequencers. In a later stage, I may consider processing the analog output from the EP. I don't intend to use it for live performances, but user comfort is important. In an earlier version of the rack I managed to squeeze in more functionalities but I disliked the result: unnatural signal flow, too much/too small knobs, ...

What I think I'm missing:
• some additional mixer at the right hand side
• some kind of basic control logic

What I think I may have too much:
• 1x Generate 3
• Maths (vs Quadrax/Samara)
• Batumi (vs Pam's/Quadrax)

The current rack design is not the ultimate end-point but I see it rather as a kind of a mid term objective, a more ore less self contained and consistent vision that guides me through a journey of exploration and learning. I'm fully aware that this will require me to make adjustments to this vision/rack as I progress.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there Kent,

Thanks for the clarification!
(I didn't know, actually. I am way too oldschool to know what modules work with the 200e preset manager.) 😁

You probably know this by now as it has been 3 years.
The main difference is that the Studio.h version has full recall and works with the 200e Preset Management system. It is, like the Verbos, fully analog.

Hi guys, just uploaded a new jam today! some melodic techno this time, and all of it without a single filter in my system yet!

I've been waiting for the CV OCD to get here to use the launchpad mk3 as a controller/sequencer... this time I only used it as a grid keyboard to play the main melody, a nice touch was using the envelope which controls the tsl wavefolder, to also open the damping on rangoon, so whenever the melody plays the bassline "swells" along with it... anyway.. hope you guys enjoy it! if you do please subscribe in YT, I'm plannin on uploading regularly...

Patch notes:
Instruo Ts-l + Eowave titan as melody
Calsynth Rangoon as main bassline
Erica Pico Drums as kickdrum
Dreadbox Splash as reverb
Mutable Instruments Stages as envelope generator and LFO
Doboz XIIO as arpeggiator and note controller.
Robaux LL8 as gate sequencer
Super Vcas as vca.
Synthrotek MIXIV as mixer
Music Thing Startup as mixer and clock generator.
Novation Launchpad mk3 + CV OCD as controller

Currently taking time to learn various new additions to the system and waiting on more things to arrive. In an effort to post more content I'll be uploading quick patches/sketches as I work through this process. Still planning an all-modular album later this year.

I agree with senor-bling. In general, it is definitely sound advice, but if you have a hybrid set-up it may make sense to rack your Mother, DFAM, or Subharmonicon. For example, my desk is covered in Ciat-Lonbarde instruments, a Hyve, and an old Casio VL. There just isn't a whole lot of room for a Mother at this point. My eurorack modules are contained in three of the smallest Doepfer cases and a 4ms pod. I'm thinking about racking the modules in the Doepfer cases in one Doepfer 3U with the Mother, and keeping the 4ms pod as-is. Given the patch points, this makes most sense to me.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Can I bug you like this, @Lugia? I made some changes in my plan and would be interested in your feedback, maybe I'm on the wrong track so I'd be happy to get some outside view on this.

I'm super cool with my external non-analog drum setup, instead of getting a full kick voice I'd rather setup an + LPG for that if I need something more custom.
Switched out the Dual VCO for a Instruo VCO, probably not as experimental and crazy. But I'm also not getting this too soon anyway.
Removed one of the Nearness modules and kept some wiggle room for the setup in the skiff (modules deeper than 3,5cm might touch the power strip)

For me the biggest change: An FX Aid XL to have more modulation points on the effects. I'm currently using the Disting for effects and would rather use it modulate the effects themself with envelopes or LFOs

(Also, yes I need a bigger rack/ second skiff)

Thank you very much in advance

@GarfieldModular
Thank you for your detailed explanation. Really helps a lot. I will have a look at those you mentioned. I am guessing the WMD is a good choice for me now to control drums and use 2 send/returns for better live performance noodling.

@sacguy71
Will have a look at the Axxent mod and the Eloquencer. I am sure there will be more expander solutions in the nearby future. Thanks for sharing your experience here.

If there is anyone else who has using an external device for sequencing modular please let me know your experiences. Would really help to make a final decision.

Hello
I think this topic is important to your plan because the control from the minibrute sequencer 3 and 4 tracks on other modules have issues: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102122.0
I will try to solve it with some passive or powered step between these gates and the destiny but I haven´t get it yet.
Hope this help somebody.
Cheers

A bigger more melodic jam?! Plus the pressure of doing it live?! I am getting more and more what I want out of my little box. Currently still looking at the fx Aid to get a bit more hands on with the post processing.

Patchnotes:
Teenage Engineering OP-Z midi over USB
USB from machine back to the MIDI Thing.

OP-Z for drums, additional sounds and the arpeggiator
Sine Oscilator is doing all the hard work
Rampage is providing Envelopes and LFO
Thickness from white noise to Zlob VCF ping
Antumbra DVCA is opening and closing the gates ;)
Ping Pong Delay on the Disting MK

Mixing is just done in OBS for the livestream (did a four track recording of this offline, which I'll try to master a little more)

Thank you for listening

Thanks for the comment

Depends on what the question is? In terms of this I wasn't setting out to replicate the cs-80 or the original timbres rather my question which was "can I, based off the my learnings of a krell patch (random modulation of attack and decay), could I generate interesting human like synth lines?". Co-incidentally this reminded me of the brass sounds created in Blade Runner, so I created this here to keep notes for myself.

If you strip back all the generative parts you are pretty much left with osc->filter->vca->reverb modulated by and envelope, so pretty standard stuff...

CS-80 clone would be awesome, the ARP 2600 clone happened..so keep fingers crossed

The Keystep can easily be powered by an Intellijel PSU. No need to worry.

While I think this is sound advice, I don't think it's necessary to get too religious about it. Sure, in most situations it's better to keep the Moogs and especially the Behringers in their own cases. For me though, the DFAM works much better within the rack than right beside it. Even if I could fit some pretty cool modules into its space. And for the same reason why reorganizing the rack is such an often discussed topic. Having something just out of reach or hidden by a nest of cables makes a difference. And that difference might be worth the €£$/HP. Some day you'll either need a bigger case anyway or exit this madness... the best way to save your money is to not get into modular at all :)

Lots of fun with this one.

5String -> FX Aid - Bat Verb
BIA - Kick and some percs
Ataraxic, maths, belgrad,FX-Aid, Bat Verb
Lubadh - Overdubs, and FX
Cleb Diaz - modulation
Black Box - Some Perc, pad sample
Typhon - Some bass duties, and FX
U-He Zebra - Pad -> FX-Aid Lo-fi Junky - Bat Verb

We need a sticky thread for suggestions like this that keep getting repeated to make all our lives easier, experts, folks on the journey, and newbies alike.

Some first thoughts:
1) Don't put a Moog in your rack unless you're traveling or performing live
2) Link to the rack, don't share a screenshot
3) You probably need to add some utilities (or as I like to say "Add a Links and a Kinks" lol)
4) Get a bigger rack than you think you need, with good power
5) In fact, go ahead and buy a Mantis for your starter rig
6) Limit the sexy modules overall, and be HP conscious

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting, but I think this would be helpful for everyone.

I agree @Lugia, this is great advice.

I keep my semi-modular synths like 0-coast outside case on top and that works fine. Plus can take the synth with me or leave home. I prefer to keep regular modules in my cases and use much larger cases for ginormous modules like 4ms Dual Loop Delay and Rossum Trident those suckers are huge! Anyways good consul as always.

Nice idea! Thank you. Also I just realized I had the Roland 530 in the rack, but I actually have the 531 which has panning CV so I was taking the QPAS stereo outs from LP and HP, and adding some more stereo craziness at the mixer. Adding the Mimeophon's stereo delay to this is going to be very cool.

As of late, I seem to be running across a lot of builds on here where the user has taken a synth and jammed it into a Eurorack cab. And yes, while there are synths you CAN do this with...this isn't as good an idea as you might be led to believe. And I do understand that this is often an issue that's resulted out of convenience, especially for live gigging builds, but even so, it's not the best idea. Here's why...

OK...let's say for the sake of argument that you have a very typical Eurorack cab; for this, I'm going to use a Tiptop Mantis, as they're easily available and also a great starter case with power. And we're going to take a fairly typical Eurorackable patchable such as a Moog Mother 32 as the "culprit" here. Now, that synth comes in its own 60 hp cab, which has power already that's optimized for the Mother 32. So...you CAREFULLY decase and disconnect it from the power, and then REcase it and connect it to the Mantis's power. Provided that something tiny that can cause a major disaster (such as a little wire snip on your workbench finding its way into the M32 or, even worse, the Mantis's power setup) hasn't happened, you now have a remainder of 148 hp to work with. Remember: a 2 x 84 cab only has 168 hp, and they're not the easiest things to do a major build in. If you want drums and sequencers and and and and...well, no. Not gonna happen now. You have this...THING...in there now, taking up loads of space while, at the same time, not really having 60 hp of functional density like you'd get from filling that 60 hp with proper Eurorack modules.

But that's not all...

Let's look at what you've spent here. A Mother 32 is $649 according to Sweetwater's site. And they have the Mantis at $335. So that's just under a grand right there. Now, you take the M32 out, stick it in the Mantis, and nothing's gone wrong...when you power it up, the M32 is all lit up and happy. And you've screwed your budget right then and there...

Huh? OK...let's look at the REAL costs here. A Tiptop Mantis has 208 powered hp, so for each hp: 335 / 208 = 1.61(ish). Therefore, each Mantis hp has an individual cost of $1.61. Now, to house a module in there, you can actually come up with a "cost-per-hp" figure. This is actually useful sometimes to see how your space vs. cost is working out in the build. But when you take the M32 out and put it into the Mantis, you then ALSO have to calculate the cost-per-hp for that, and the results are...well...

60 x 1.61 = 96.6. So, recasing and repowering the Mother 32 in its new cab actually results in having to factor that $96.60 into the aggregate cost of the Mother 32 itself. NOW your Moog costs $745.60...which you didn't pay for it, but it now COSTS that, because that $96.60 is the cost of the casing/powering of the Mother 32 that already HAS power and HAS a case! Plus, you LOSE those 60 hp...which should be used for casing and powering things that DON'T have those things already...to the M32.

Also, this is a bad trade-off, function-wise. So...what makes up a Mother 32? Well...you have a single VCO, single LFO, a multimode VCF, a two-stage EG, a CVable polarizer, an eight-step step sequencer, a clock, and a MIDI-in interface. Using pretty much bog-simple modules for this same functionality, I can jam that...with basic modules...into 54 hp. And I could fit it into that with even more complex modules, too. Or I could certainly fit that into a smaller space...this is just a basic module (mostly Doepfer) example. But the upshot here is that, in less than the M32's space, you can BUILD a vastly-improved complement of modules that can do what it does...and probably BETTER.

I really don't know how many times I've seen posts on MG where someone who's dropped a synth into their Eurorack is complaining about not having the space to do [INSERT NUMEROUS IDEAS HERE]. And the solution, inevitably, is very simple: TAKE THAT SYNTH OUT. Put it back where it belongs! Then, automagically, you HAVE SPACE. There's also no technical rationale for having it in there, either; I do use a modular which requires you to establish a groundplane across all of its cabs and to/from any other devices you use with it. In THAT situation, sure, putting an existing rackable modular in with the rest of it would fix that slightly-annoying technical limitation...but considering that you see this with formats such as Buchla or Serge, how much of a "limitation" is it, really? And with Eurorack, you use two-conductor patchcables...NOT single wires...so whenever you make a patch, you have the "hot" lead AND the ground right there already. No need for grounding follies!

Yes, yes...I know you see "pros" on YouTube who have this sort of configuration in their Eurorack systems. But just because they're on TV doesn't mean they're right; if everything on TV was "right", then we'd all be living in stratospheric condos and have flying cars like The Jetsons, except that any number of sinister forces would be trying to blow up the world on an hourly basis while everyone's traveling to remote locations every day to eat at secret gourmet-level hole-in-the-wall joints. And so on. You get the idea.

So if you can get that idea, it's not really a stretch to understand that people who get these things for free or "accommodation prices" are wanting to stick 'em right where you can see 'em...otherwise, the toy supply might dry up and their pristine set-like studios might actually have to see some REAL WORK to pay the bills! If these people blow up something they got for zip, well, they're out exactly that. If YOU do, though...kiss your ca$h goodbye! And that goes even if you DON'T detonate your new synth by having a tiny metal sliver off of one of your rack screws fall into it unbeknownst to you while recasing it.

But wait...why are these things ON Modulargrid, then? Simple: Modulargrid is a comprehensive reference resource, and if you need to figure out how your patching is going to work with one of these in your studio (but not in the Eurorack cab), that's why they're there. But, yet again...just because you can do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. And recasing your powered and cased synths is just the present-day equivalent to doing things like sawing the keyboard off of a perfectly-good synth so you can use it as a MIDI module. Very dumb, very destructive... and I know for a fact that we've lost an unknowable number of vintage analogs through this earlier iteration of dumbass.

And even if you figure that "I need this for convenience"...well, do you? Couldn't you BUILD the equivalent in 40-50 hp instead? Without the need for an Erica MScale or a trigger/CV converter for a Behringer K-2? C'mon, peepz...it's MODULAR. It's a circuitry SANDBOX. You can build whatever you like, and even wildly improve on it...so why limit your build like this, or incur expenses that are pretty much unnecessary? Think about that the next time you ponder whether your Pro-1 would be better in your A-100 case; I know that MINE is still in the OEM, and that's where it staying!

Try hitting your browser refresh.

Yep, that's closer...and here's something you REALLY want to pair up with the QPAS: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-dual-xfade That's a stereo CVable crossfader. So, what you'd do with this is to send one QPAS stereo out pair to the "A" inputs, and another to the "B", then take the individual outs on the Dual Xfade and send those on as a stereo pair. By doing this trick, in just 4 hp you've added a cheap module that can modulate between filter response curves! Imagine back-and-forthing between the LP and HP outs...or the BP and notch! Nuts!

Boolean logic works on conditional inputs, and can affect sequencer behavior quite a bit. My suggestion would be to build up a small sidecar skiff with some free-run LFOs (like Doepfer's little quad LFO), some random sourcing such as a Benjolin, Turing Machine (the REAL one...not the 2hp version...or a big Greyscale Permutation, which is a Turing variant) or Euclidean sequencer, a few WINDOW comparators (not the basic ones...window comparators give you a lot of gate output options), and some beefed-up Boolean logic so that all of those various gates and triggers can tangle with each other to generate LOADS of conditional gates to operate things such as CV switches, Mutable's Branches, timing behavior, etc etc. Since this is built around a sequencer in the first place, that's definitely where I would start!

The mother 32 was my first module, and my introduction to modular. I plan on keeping in the this potable for the time being...
-- Olias

...which is where I get off. You list a bunch of things that you want to add to this, but as long as you insist on locking up 60 hp of the 208 you have with something that doesn't belong there, I can't help you. You can't adequately reach what you're proposing by staying with this sort of build...the room for a real generative build simply isn't there.

Good job on overloading the P/S. That's exactly what happens...at first, but then, you stopped before the REAL damage could get going...hopefully. The hot smell might indicate that you've damaged the wallwart, however.

If you have something that has a SPECIFIC case with a SPECIFIC power source for it, use that for that ONLY. I don't think Moog intended for that sort of usage, nor did 4ms. Unless you know what you're doing with current loading, specific voltages, and you have a serious DC supply instead of a wallwart, don't try anything like this again.

And this is why modular isn't always the right answer. Me, if I want this, I just go over and patch the CS-80 into a couple of strips, which is what was done to get those sounds in the first place.

True, not everyone can afford a vintage CS-ANYTHING these days (thanks mainly to synth brokers and other parasites), but give Uli a little time...supposedly, there's one in the Behringer pipeline. Maybe.

Hey thanks, glad you like it. Here's part two of that set.

I like tiles...but I have to admit that Intellijel format tiles are nowhere nearly as diverse as the original Pulplogic format. You could build a rather uncomfortable to use but technically complete modular with those; not so much with Intellijel format stuff.

The big question is what, exactly, are you trying to do here? What about the Grandmother needs expanding, in your opinion? How would you go about doing that? What size build works...and what size works BETTER? You need to be asking those questions, and not whether you've got the magic number of VCAs. Right now, this seems like it's targeted at one or two aspects of the Moog, which begs the questions above.

Oh, that bass or drum sound you have in that track is just lovely (forgot to mention that) ;-)

Hi Mowse,

Oh wow, what a nice treat is this?! Beautifully done, your Moog style sound, lovely to listen at. After sending this message off, I am going to listen at it again.

Thank you very much for ending a weekend so beautifully :-) Kind regards, Garfield.