I just got the Erica Polivoks VCF II and can’t believe how great it is. It’s a fairly straightforward filter, but I’ve had so much fun with it already. With filters, the old adage “use your ears” really applies, and the Polivoks sounds perfect to my ears. It sits somewhere between an acidic Roland-ish sound and the MS20. It doesn’t have a crazy feature set or anything (like the QPAS, Dipole, Morgasmatron, or Filter 8), just a great sound and can be found for $200 or less.
The Doepfer SEM and Morgasmatron (or Dual Borg) are still on my shopping list, but I’m pretty happy with what I have for a while.

The Dipole looks outstanding, but I haven't used it yet. I have QPAS and on occasion it completely blows my mind with beautiful sounds. It really is unlimited and perfect for the "pretty" and ambient side of things. I still have not mastered it so I just haphazardly stumble into interesting sounds.
I've been really impressed with everything I have heard from the criminally inexpensive Doepfer SEM filter. That one is next on my list. I know some of the members here like the Filter 8. It seems very useful in a small case due to the range of duties it can fill. The demos I've seen have failed to interest me much though.
Have fun and good luck.

Hi Bertus95. Just a few initial thoughts as I'm looking over your rack.
First, when you say that you want to go in a live performance direction, how do you envision yourself interacting and performing with this rack. There are some expression-type modules available that may encourage a more interactive experience and performance. Joysticks, trigger combining crossfaders, mute modules, SoundMachines LS1, and things like that.
Second, it looks like you have chosen several of the largest modules available in such a small case. Do you really need to dedicate 20hp to a bass drum when you already have Basimilus Iteritas Alter. Would the WMD Crater serve a similar purpose in a smaller footprint? You have chosen Odessa but not the Hel expander. Any particular reason for this? Would the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator work just as well in 8 less hp? Is the Morgasmatron the best choice for your only filter at 20hp? Do you need two FX Aid XLs and the Desmodus?
These are all great modules, don't get me wrong. But you have a very small footprint that you are more than likely going to want to fill with more utilities/logic/envelopes/VCAs/attenuverters/etc.
Again, these are just my initial thoughts if I were going to build a rack for your purpose.
Have fun and good luck!

Man, this sounds great. Your mix on galaktoboureko acid especially sounds outstanding. Keep making the acid and I'll keep taking it. :)

Thread: Ghost Palace

Looks like XAOC Batumi and Studio Electronics 5089 filter at the top right.

Thread: Ghost Palace

Great work @gumbo23. I love that sync bass sound (I’m guessing that is the Basimilus). Keep sharing!

Check out the Low Gain Electronics Short Bus for a good trigger sequence combiner. It's passive, cheap, and fun. You could probably use it to switch between and combine multiple channels of Metron, allowing you to avoid buying Grids. You could have a straight pattern set up on one channel of Metron and a fill pattern on another channel, and then switch back and forth or combine those trigger sequences with the flip of a switch. Switchblade would allow something similar as well.
On a related note, I just checked out a demo for Metropolix. Wow. Awesome.

You already have one of the best trigger sequencers on the market (Metron). I would really recommend keeping that and adding the Metropolix or something similar to it. That would be a very powerful combination.

Wow. This is beautiful. Gives me Yamaha CS80/Blade Runner vibes.
I'm now regretting selling my Chainsaw. Unfortunately, I never got around to using it as creatively as you. You're inspiring me to consider trying it out again.
Keep sharing!

Thank you @GarfieldModular. I know techno isn't your favorite style of music, so I appreciate your time and feedback. :)
I use the term "jazz" very loosely in the sense that this is music fully created in the moment. Haha.
Have a great weekend.

Thanks @wishbonebrewery. I don’t live too far from Detroit so I probably absorbed the whole minimal thing by osmosis.

Thanks for checking it out @troux. I was sort of practicing restraint. My natural tendency is for "more". More drums, more transitions, more distortion, more abstract, more more lo-fi, more experimental, more, more, more... Haha.

Haven't done one of my "android jazz" videos in a while. I was just patching aimlessly this morning and thought I would record something in the vein of some of the recent posts regarding sequencers and live techno setups. This is a fully improvised modular minimal techno jam. No plan, no safety net, no direction home. Nothing groundbreaking, just pressed record to see what would happen. Actually turned out ok. Hope someone might enjoy a little Friday night dance party. Thanks for your time.

Audio only for those who don't want to stare at my twisted visage: https://ciernyvlk.bandcamp.com/track/brief-encounter

I just bought a metropolix though I've not had the chance to use it yet, but it seems to be close to what you're looking for?
-- troux

Yay! @troux is back! :)

What are you using as a master clock now? Some drum machines have cv clock inputs and outputs (RD8 and RD9 for example, and I assume the Elektron stuff too).
I’m a bit more excited about modular drums than Ronin, but I agree that the expense and necessity are probably unnecessary for some. I really enjoy my hybrid setup. I have an MPC but don’t really use a lot of samples that I don’t create myself, so I like the versatility of a decent enough drum machine and modular options. I’m usually happy with standard 808/909 sounds but the BIA and WMD modules are fun. I’ve been building some percussion sounds from scratch too, so everyone will do it differently. The MPC One and RD8 also have trigger outputs to interface with the rack. There are a lot of different ways to do the same so just continue to do your research to find the right option for you.

Hi @CardiacTasty. I've sort of built my rack around the idea of performing improvisational minimal techno mainly using an Arpitecht and Eloquencer switching with an Acid Rain Switchblade (though I have other sequencers and utilities, and record other types of music too). I chose the Eloquencer over the Metron for the exact reason that you are describing here. I've also added a Behringer RD8 808 clone to trigger additional modular drum voices via the three trigger outs, so an external X0X style drum machine is always valuable, but you already have that functionality with the Metron. I've found the Arpitecht to be fun but not precise in getting exactly what I want, so you could probably use two but I think you'll find it similarly clunky to what you are doing now. I would recommend doing a lot of research on sequencers to pick one that does exactly what you need it to do, and use the Arpitecht as a supplement.
As always, yes... get a bigger case. Haha.
Have fun and good luck.

Here's a good video for your consideration:

I’ve had good luck with clocking from Pamela’s New Workout. I have a Moffenzeef Mito trigger sequencer that is a little squirrelly with syncing so I just send a reset gate to it every four bars from either the Eloquencer or PNW. I’ve found workarounds for any issues I’ve come across.
*edit: Just a note regarding Ronin's important consideration of rising/falling clock pulses, Pamela's New Workout allows you to skew and offset gate/trigger signals per channel if you do find a synchronization issue between multiple sequencers. I have not found it necessary to do this, but the capability is there. PNW also serves as my master "start/stop" button. Cool module. It's definitely the one that glued my rack together for the first time early on while I was just getting started.

When I was choosing my main sequencer, I narrowed my choice down to the WMD Metron and the Winter Modular Eloquencer. I ultimately chose the Eloquencer. Very intuitive, as simple or as deep as you might want, and 8 channels of CV and gate. I'm not a menu-diver, and while the Eloquencer has a fairly shallow menu system, it doesn't impede making music in the slightest. In fact, the interface is mostly WYSIWYG the way I use it. Watching demos of the Metron, I felt like I might make a lot of mistakes switching between four different pages for a single rhythm. Add to that the need to buy an expander for just four channels of CV (and another expander for accent), and the Metron just wasn't for me. I'm very happy with my choice.
I think I mentioned in your other recent post about sequencers that I do like to use and switch between multiple sequencers (Voltage Block, Arpitecht, etc.). That may be confusing and not work for some, so it all really comes down to your preference.

If I remember correctly, Butch Vig and Billy Corgan half-jokingly said the Mutron Biphase was their secret weapon when recording Siamese Dream.

Sounds great. Definitely has a Jarre vibe. Keep sharing the good stuff @wishbonebrewery.
I use that Patching Panda Punch in every patch nowadays. Such a valuable module.

...which is one of the things that makes me chuckle when I see people blathering on about the virtues of "DAWless" work; c'mon gang, I was doing that sort of thing as far back as 1979, and you're just NOW telling me how cool it is? Ha!
-- Lugia

Eh... I don't know that anyone is trying to convince anyone else that a DAWless workflow is "cool," just that people are rediscovering that idea and technology is making it possible without investing in a couple of Studer 24 tracks. Most hobbyist and project studio musicians younger than you and I had the limited choice between a computer and a Tascam cassette multitrack not all that long ago. Maybe a Roland MV8000 digital recorder if you were lucky. OF COURSE younger musicians adopted the DAW with unlimited tracks, virtual instruments, and plug-ins. Who wouldn't? More is better, right?!?
For some musicians, more is better. For others, it's not. There are some great options out there now for guys like me who hated the virtual environment and wanted a happy medium between Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase/Ableton/Reason/etc. and a Portastudio. I just picked up an MPC One, which you could argue is not THAT much different than a traditional DAW, but it kinda is. It's a much more immediate workflow. With Akai's new class compliant audio interface I/O support, I'll probably never turn my computer on for recording again. The addition of one of the new Tascam Model 12 mixers would make a powerful "DAWless" combo. That works for me, but I wouldn't say it's "cool".
And all of this "DAWless" power is now comparably affordable and doesn't take up much more space than a decently spec'd desktop computer. Again, not "cool" just different.

^Disagree with this (no disrespect). *edit: Disagree with Shadowsaun's recommendation.
Some electronic musicians want to get as far away as possible from the computer, get a more interactive and hands-on experience with electronic music. Modular provides that, VCV Rack does not.
I can definitely understand the argument that there are other hardware options for achieving this, whether vintage, Behringer, MPC, etc., but who cares? This instrument is fun and a completely different workflow than any other instrument. Period. I encourage anyone with any interest to try it out. There's a steep learning curve, it's expensive, and it's currently in fashion so lots of folks will disappear as soon as they enter the world. Just like every kid who wanted to be Eddie Van Halen and ultimately sold the guitar they got for Christmas. Some people will stick with it and others won't regardless of VCV Rack or the real-world version.
For any new person who has the Euro itch, have fun with it while your interest is high. If it's not for you, sell and move on.

Nice! Well done, Gworn.

Uli… is that you?

Somehow I knew that you would have the A-103. :) Don't worry about going to the trouble of writing up a report. It's inexpensive enough that I may just pick one up to experiment with.
Good luck with your new setup. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun once you get everything settled.

Hi Nick. I can definitely recommend multiple sequencers. I have several different CV and gate sequencers.
I especially like to use the Acid Rain Switchblade to switch back and forth between a programmed melodic pitch sequence on the Winter Modular Eloquencer and the WMD Arpitecht while improvising live techno stuff. I also use a Low Gain Short Bus to combine gate patterns from multiple gate sequencers to "crossfade" between different drum patterns or add trigger bursts for rolls and that kind of thing. There are all sorts of cool tricks that I'm figuring out by combining and switching sequences.
Have fun and good luck.

Excellent. Thanks for sharing Garfield.
I don't suppose you are working on a report for the Doepfer A-103 filter (the 303 clone)? Was just thinking about picking one up.
Have a great weekend.

Then today was a good day, every day should be a learning day in my opinion.

-- toodee

I work in the academic world, so I agree wholeheartedly.

I learned something new today. :)

Swear to god I was just wondering the same thing last night. Was watching a video and every time the guy said "Diggy-takt" I wanted to scream. Haha

I really enjoy classic style filters like the AJH for a Moog style which you already have covered, the Mutable Instruments Ripples for a Roland style, and I've had my eye on the G-Storm Electro Oberheim clone. With that said, I have a few "character" filters too, and the Make Noise QPAS is my favorite. You could probably get into similar territory as the QPAS with the Belgrad or Bastl's Ikarie.
I've also been considering the 100 Grit, but it won't be right for every circumstance. I have the FSS Gristleizer filter which sounds great in a gnarly and disgusting way, but definitely doesn't fit into everything I do.
Will you mainly need low pass or will you need bandpass/high pass options as well?

Haha. I hate computer recording too. Burnt myself out on that around 2005. I think that’s why I focus on one-take experiments now. Believe it or not, I just use GarageBand and don’t use any VSTs or external plug-ins, just the compressor and eq included. I don’t even have the GarageBand sound library installed. I really just use it as a glorified tape recorder. I’m using some automation in the thing I’m working on now, but that’s about as far as I care to go.

BTW, how did you get to that delicious Lo-Fi sound with the track on SoundCloud ?

-- toodee

I ran the Prophet Rev 2 through the overdrive (just barely noticeable) on the Data Bender into one input on the DLD, and ran the output of the DLD's first channel into the QPAS filter with just a small bit of movement into the second input of the DLD. I recorded the track pretty quiet and then slammed the hell out of the compressor in my DAW and EQ'ed just a tiny bit. I think that was all I did on that one. I get kind of a Boards of Canada-style "dustiness" that I like when I record quiet and compress heavily. I always like just a bit of noise mixed into the pads on the Prophet too.
I do have an Orange Kongpressor pedal that I run some stuff through, but I don't think I used it on that track.
Thanks again for checking it out. It's nice to have like-minded folks to bounce stuff off of!

Thanks systasis. I've been working on a more structured multi-track project, but keep finding the more improvisational and meandering music of chance is what I enjoy most. It's rarely interesting for the listener as it's more of a self-absorbed Dadaist art project. Haha. I figure I might as well put it out there in the world anyway. Thanks for listening!

Hey @troux, let me know if you decide to go with Plaits. I was thinking about putting mine up for sale on Reverb because I haven't been using it. I'll be glad to sell it to you for a fair price.

This is great, ModLifeCrisis. Thanks for sharing.
My relationship with modular is like a pendulum. For long periods of time it is all I think about, and other times I focus on other hardware and guitars. Hope to find a happy medium someday. :)
Take care.

I saw you were posting again too and have your songs in the queue, looking forward to listening to them.
-- troux

Don't get your hopes up for anything groundbreaking. Haha. Just some looping experiments that I decided to record.
Again, good to see you back in action.

Hey troux! Welcome back. I had a similar experience for a few months. Just lost a bit of my creative drive and disappeared for a while. I'm glad to see you getting in the spirit again.
This sounds outstanding. Love the mix too. Did you recently add the Squid Salmple to your rack? I don't remember seeing that before. How do you like it?
Take care.

Thread: Nani Kore?

Oh, wow. Awesome. I'm getting serious fusion vibes from this. Very well done!

Looking at your rack again, I'm feeling like I would want something like the WMD Performance Mixer if you don't have an external mixing solution that you already prefer. I would probably want some attenuverters too, something like the Happy Nerding 3xMIA if you can find those. I know that were out of stock for a while.

Quadrax and Zadar for envelopes and more since you already have Maths. Triple Sloths or the Zlob Diode Chaos for random/chaos. VCAs are kind of a personal thing. I like the FSS Gristleizer VCA for a distorted character and the AJH MiniMod, but you might want to add some quantity with something like Veils or the Intellijel Quad VCA. For 8 channels of stepped modulation I definitely recommend the Voltage Block. I love that thing for giving me that last little bit of movement that I need.
Have fun and good luck!

Yeah, I'm thinking envelopes, random, and probably VCAs. Maybe a Voltage Block too?

Hey, thanks TumeniKnobs. I appreciate that. Most of that stuff on Soundcloud is just me rolling tape and seeing what comes out.
Here's another one-take looping improv thing I did this morning. I wanted to see what would come out if I flipped the "Amen" break a little bit. Same set up as last night, but added the Erica Sample Drum, Quadrax, and FSS Gristleizer VCA to the mix.
Have a great weekend.

Hey, thanks GarfieldModular. I've been playing around with looping minimal elements and just seeing what happens. As always, I appreciate your time.

Haven't shared anything in a while. Here's a little lo-fi one-take looping improvisation using a Sequential Prophet Rev2, Qu-Bit Data Bender, Make Noise QPAS, and the 4MS Dual Looping Delay. Hope you enjoy. No worries if it's not your thing. Have a great weekend.
https://ciernyvlk.bandcamp.com/track/juniper

https://soundcloud.com/cierny_vlk/juniper-4-71621-425-pm

every time someone comes along with their idea of what's going to make them a SUPAH-STAAHH and I or someone else points out the deficiencies in their line of thinking. And this has been going on for a long time; I can recall an incident back in the pre-browser days on USENET where someone popped up on one of the groups, bellowing about his brand new MORPHEUS, and how this brand new MORPHEUS was going to be THE THING that was gonna take him right to the top!!!

Yeah, right.

Fact is, this argument that a given device will vault you into stardom is a load of crap. It's the inverse corollory to blaming your equipment for your own musical shortcomings. Both notions are equally false. Your musicianship depends on YOU...not a Magic Box or whatever.

Now, yeah, sure...you might BE capable of grabbing the (somewhat cursed) brass ring of getting big in music.
-- Lugia

I have never once seen anyone in this forum (beginner or veteran) suggest the idea that a modular synth is their ticket to the big time. Is that even something that people still want? I'm sure some folks have a dream of becoming an "influencer" or whatever, but I think people are smart enough to realize that an esoteric and prohibitively expensive medium and genre of music is not going to lead to adoring fans and red carpets.
This is an odd assumption about our new member. Why can't we assume that this is a fun hobby for most people? Not everyone has some Nietzschean "suffer-for-my-art-martyr-to-my-LFO" complex haunting them. Some people just want to make a 4/4 beat and dance around their room as an escape from the day job that is undoubtedly funding this hobby.

Jack (and any other new member reading this), have fun with your new hobby. Be aware that it can be very expensive, and you will find yourself scratching your head trying to figure out some tasks that are simple in a hardwired synth/drum machine, and you will likely need to do a lot of research and re-planning to get an instrument that gets you to the sound in your head. Also be aware that you CAN achieve the sound in your head with modular and it's incredibly satisfying. I took a cross-country road trip a few years ago, and the journey was just as fun as the destination. Same thing applies when building your rack. Above all, have fun.

If you would like a bit more guidance, maybe you can share some examples of the type of sounds you are hoping to create, or if you already have any other gear that you can use as a supplement to your rack. That way we can point you in the right direction.
Good luck!

I'm with Wishbone. Keep researching and have fun experimenting. Most of the folks on this forum just don't want to see anyone waste a bunch of money and time to arrive at an unsatisfying outcome.
You can most definitely make an EDM focused system as Ronin highlighted. I don't think you have quite nailed it with this initial iteration though. Your best bet though is to start small with just a few modules, and let your needs dictate the future direction of your rack. It's fun to build these proposed dream racks, but it would be a terrible idea to sink a bunch of money into the whole thing without test driving a few of the parts first. I've mentioned in this forum many times that my first rack plan was almost completely different from my current rack. I bought a few modules to start with and just kept experimenting until I couldn't do what I wanted, and then researched the modules that would help me take that next step. Then I bought the next few modules, and so on. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Have fun with your idea, but be prepared to go back to the planning stages often.

I agree with Jim on a bigger case and a bigger mixer, whether matrix or end-of-chain. Personally, I think the layout is pretty good. It makes sense to me anyway.
If this were my case, I think I would keep Rene and eliminate Marbles to add an analog oscillator (like a Dixie or Rubicon) and wave folder. But everyone has different needs and ideas, so have fun with it!

Fair enough. The reason I ask is because you will see many of the people who have been doing this a long time recommend against building an 808 or 909 in a rack due to both cost and workflow. This is good advice. When it comes to performing techno, it's really hard to argue against an external X0X sequencer. In my opinion it's the best option. Everything is already hardwired but still tweakable, and you can still integrate it with your rack via the clock, triggers, and individual outs.
I have taken this hybrid approach myself. I use a combination of the Behringer RD8 (the only Behringer piece I own, but I love it) and some Eurorack drums and multiple Euro sequencers. I initially tried to do what you are planning but found that the performance workflow was severely limited. Building around an external drum machine really encouraged a hands-on approach. There are a few mind-blowing YouTube videos of Jeff Mills performing techno on an old TR909. Check them out. Some people like Elektron drum machines but I never gelled with their ergonomics. You won't have CV control over every parameter of the 909 sounds, but you can add things like Basimilus and WMD drum modules (or oscillators and LPGs) to your rack as a supplement so you have control over other drum sounds.
If you are just getting started building this, allow yourself some room to change direction with your build. You may find that what you think you would enjoy workflow-wise is really awful. Take your time and only add a module or two at a time.

Okay, here's a serious question: Why not just get a Behringer RD9 and save yourself a LOT of money? You would have all of your 909 sounds, the X0X sequencer and three trigger outs to trigger the Basimilus, envelopes, etc. all for about $400.
Is there a reason you want to do this all in the rack?