Hi all,

I'm heading to visit a friend in Texas soon and I decided to take a pile of sequencers with me to spend some more time with while I am there. But for tonight i thought i'd give the rig a little rundown now that I figured out a few things with the big sequencer in the middle. You will find a simple jam that is sequenced by the five-12 seq, playing the Ts-L (sounds awesome and it is new to me), running through the C4BON filter (one of my favorite), and going through the bubblesound hex mix/vca combo running in ASR mode. The drum sounds are from the BIA, and the effects are the Happy Nerding FX Aid (so good). :)

Here is a link to the very basic jam... but hey, it's nice to get this device patching! :)

Hope you enjoy.
Brett

Hi Garfield,

First off, thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated... and great point on the fact I did a 17 minute jam... it was me just mostly goofing around with the device and getting some sounds going.

One thing I really like to do with the Percal is to take the evelope out and control the filter with it. In this case I was driving part of the MS-22 via that for a while. It makes for some fun rythmic filter changes. (although I think i'll back off on some of the higher pitched sounds next time around... well maybe... :D )

To your question on what happens toward the end of the song:
The audio you are hearing at that point in the jam is actually the ALA Pique (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-pique-upeaks) running the deadman's catch firmware in the split FM drum mode. That sound is the "snare" be manipulated.
it is kind of a fun little device and I thought i'd see how it does for making a kick and a snare-like sound for me.

Hope that helps!

As always, thank you for the feedback.

Hi All,

I have been traveling to spend time with family and friends so I have not put out a jam in a while AND, i've been updating my gear a bit so I wanted to get back to jamming...

With that I have the following jam I did last night.
A couple of notes: I did do some post production as I'm working on a new studio setup and work-flow.. thus I did add two addintial sets of effects during the post production. I can also post the "raw jam" as well if others are interested. All up, this was a fun little experiment and I hope you enjoy what the tune!

All feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you for the feedback.

Hi all,
It's been a crazy day of just jamming away and making some music.
Here is the latest:

Things I want to work on:
1) better transitions (had a few early ones that were not as good as i'd like)
2) smoother in/out with the drums/hats
3) leaving more space in the lower energy parts

Any all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I decided to see if I could just do a longer jam today as it is something i'm trying to achieve.
There are some good parts, and parts to improve, but all up - I wanted to do a longer jam and share it:

Any/all feedback is welcome!
Brett

Thank you!

I’m looking forward to having another jam posted soon!

I agree in the question of: did you learn and/or achieve any goals you set. Overall, I like to set a goal or two for a jam. I’ll work on noting that for the future.

Thanks again for asking, and Matt you enjoy the rest of your day.

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback and the question! It is a great question all up for sure. :)
Here are two samples I played through on Sunday:

Here are things I have improved on.
1) Getting the sounds to change up a bit while using the switching
2) I learned I need to tune the drums and patterns so it can work better.
I didn't quite make my goal there, but I learned some things and have a few new ideas to try! So i'll call that a success .
3) Creating parts - Still much work to do here, but being able to change up the drums and such will also play a part in that. I do feel like I am starting to get parts to emerge and that is super cool for me personally as I have not really accomplished that yet in most of my work.
4) Managing the effects: Yeah, getting better at that for sure - part of the issues is learning how sensitive the controller is with the BlueBox.

If I were to sum up my learnings i'd say:
1) Fun progress on starting to get sounds that can evolve
2) The concept of switching up the drums can work, I need to tune the patterns and the choices
3) I'm getting better with the effects and morphing the sounds.

Great question and thanks for asking it helped me reflect on progress.
Much appreciated!

Brett

Hi all,

I did a second evening jam for Feb 21st 2021:

I was working on seeing if I could keep the jam going a little longer along with seeing if I could change things up a bit better.
It was a fun jam, but I lost it about a little over 12 minutes in, so I trimmed the audio file with a fade and called it good enough for tonight.

I hope you all enjoy, and please feel free to leave any/all comments - they are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the feedback, i'll check out your tunes on bandcamp as well!

Here is my evening jam with almost the same patch setup

If you want to understand how I patched it, check this out it has other notes as well:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/74806

Thanks,
Brett

Hi,

I used the above setup to play this jam:

I am continuing to learn as I go.
My goals with this jam were:
1) Can I change up the kick and hats as I play via using the 4Robots device controlled by CV1 and C3
2) Can I use the switching to allow for a change in sounds as I play through the song
3) Can I go through a few different parts to have the song change a bit as I go
4) Continue to learn how to manage the effects via my Launch Control XL running into the 1010 BlueBox mixer.

Notes: The effects are primarily the Happy Nerding device along with some delay and a darker reverb from the 1010 BlueBox.

Overall, I had a good time jamming away!
Please feel free to leave any and all thoughts/comments/feedback as it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

Hi all,

Today I have been back working with my small 64hp system.

If you have a moment to take a listen, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Here is this mornings jam for Feb 21st 2021:

In short, I have everything coming from the little system other than: 1) a delay and 2) one reverb only used on the kick drum in parts. What I'm using is a 1010 BlueBox to manage all of the send effects and individual sounds coming from the setup.

Overall, I am working to have a few different parts in the song so that I can have some changes in the kick drum, , hats, and other parts. So far I like what is starting to emerge from the little system.

Again, any/all feedback is greatly appreciated.

May you have a great rest of your day!

Hi all,
I was going to jam a bit work on drums tonight but just ended up jamming for a while.
So this is just a long block of jamming... so enjoy if you want to skip through and give any feedback, all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi all,

I recently picked up a "Mob of Emus" - and dang is it fun! I'll have to do some deep diving into this device as it has a wide range of sonic goodness!

Here is a link to a quick jam I was doing today to try out the new modules:
=user-674000789/sets/modular-jams

I added in a Vox Digitalis so I could have a simpler sequencer - really liking it so far, easy to use.
As note above: I'm trying out the Mob Of Emus and i'm digging it so far.

Patch Note:
1) main riff is the Mob of Emus sequenced from the Circles, notes from the Vox Digi and running through the ms22
2) Bass-ish part is the Mantis (I really love this going through the C4BON)
3) Kick is the BIA
4) Hats are from the QD
5) FXs are from the Happy Nerding FX AID XL, Clouds, and my external Digit Pedal

My next steps are to create some more note sequences, and start hooking up more control with the Catalyst

Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to give any pointers, ideas, and feedback.
It is all greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

Hi all,
Did another jam focusing on getting some good variation going.
Check it out here:

Any and all feedback is greatly welcomed!
Thanks.

Hello all,

I decided to pick up the Catalyst (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emblematic-systems-catalyst) and put it to use. I have always loved the scene concept on my OT (in fact I think it is the best part of ALL of my systems)... thus, I decided to pick it up and give it a try.

here is a link to my afternoon jam:

Here is a link to the morning jam:

What I have here is a very minimal patch going on.
1) Kick coming from the BIA
This same kick is split into the left input on the Happy Nerding FX AID
2) Main voice of the Mantis going through the WMD C4BON filter, then into my bublesound hex setup.
This same voice is split into the right input on the Happy Nerding FX AID
3) Happy Nerding FX AID is set to one of the stereo in delays.
4) the melodic pattern is coming from the o_C running Enigma Jr.
5) the rhythm is coming form the Circle
6) much of modulation and changes are coming from me playing with the filter, the envelope, the Cyclist connected to the Matins, and me manually adjusting the BIA for the kick drum.

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to listen.
Much appreciated.

Hi all,

I wanted to share that i've recently added in a Happy Nerding FX AID and it does a really great job for built in effects.
I have been working on some jams recently as i'm still teaching myself how to play a modular live.
it is an awesome fun. :)

You can check out my latest jam here:

And, I took the case on a trek to Portland and did some jamming while under quarantine in my hotel room.
You can check out that set of jams/random parts here:

Any thoughts and feedback on the jam are appreciated as i'm still learning how to get a reasonable dance sound going. :)

Notes on the setup:
1) All sounds from the Portland sessions were recorded directly from the case.
2) The kick drum is a sample from the 2hp play (i'll put in my own samples soon, but just stated with they had to get it going)
3) My primary voice in the Manis running through the C4BON filter and using the bublesound hex system for VcA control.
The notes are sequenced from the Circles and the notes are coming from the o_C via the Enigma Jr.
4) The drone and background texture is from the Godspeed going into the Squak Dirty and then into the Clouds module.
5) it is put through my mixer and then pulled back through the Compressor where i've used the kick as a side chain setup.
6) then out to either my portable recording device (in the case of going to Portland) or, to my computer if i'm here at home.

This is the first jam i've recorded with the new setup!
I got a new case so I can travel with the setup more easily. - yeah!

This is my morning jam from Nov 5th 2020

Things to note:
I have a LOT to learn with this case, so any/all feedback is appreciated!

Here is the patch: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/69591
What I am working on here is:
1) using the circles to drive the rhythms
2) having the o_C driving the notes via the Enigma device from the hemispheres firmware
3) I'm playing with the MS22!! (this is SWEET!)
4) I'm moving the drums into the rack - so i'm playing with the kick drum off of the 2hp Play - I need to do some work here.
5) I've moved one of the effects into the rack (the tape delay for the kick) - more work to go here.
6) I also put in a mixer so that I can send stereo out - planning for a future live show.

Clearly I have not yet utilized all of this rack - and well that is because it is new to me and i'm learning how to expand and use more of it. :)

Hope you all enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

This is my first patch on this system that I have recorded.
You can check out the recording here:

Things to note:
I have a LOT to learn with this case, so any/all feedback is appreciated!

What I am working on here is:
1) using the circles to drive the rhythms
2) having the o_C driving the notes va the Enigma device from the hemispheres firmware
3) I'm playing with the MS22!! (This this is SWEET!)
4) I'm moving the drums into the rack - so i'm playing with the kick drum off of the 2hp Play - I need to do some work here.
5) I've moved one of the effects into the rack (the tape delay for the kick) - more work to go here.
6) I also put in a mixer so that I can send stereo out - planning for a future live show.

Clearly I have not yet utilized all of this rack - and well that is because it is new to me and i'm learning how to expand and use more of it. :)

Hope you all enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

Hi,

I was having a good time jamming today, so I decided to do an afternoon jam. :)
Here is a link to the jam:

It is using the same patch setup as here:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/68941

Goals of this jam: Keep working on how I can bring rhythms in and out while working with filters.
I feel it was better in some parts over my morning jam. 😊 But, I keep learning and it’s a great time.

All feedback is greatly appreciated!
Enjoy!

Hi,

Welcome to my new case setup.
I'm working on building a travel case and this is my first round of putting one together.
It took a bit to get it all going, but today I am back to recording some of my "morning jams"

You can find the jam here:

You can find the patch for the modular setup here:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/68941

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by!

Hi,
I just setup this new case and i'm working through getting some fun sounds out of it.
You can find the jam here:

Notes on the patch:
the O&C is running hemispheres and the right-hand side is running the Enigma Jr.
The drums and hats are coming from Octatrak MKII

In this particular setup i'm working on three things:
1) managing the rhythm through the Euclidian Circles and adjusting the A/R envelope on the HexMix/HexVCA
2) working with the two filters to shape the sound
3) I as adjusting the MCO and the Godspeed once and a while to change up the sounds.

As always, i'm learning and enjoying learning.
Any and all feedback are greatly encourage.

Thanks!

This is the setup for my morning jam on Oct 05 2020.

You can listen to the jam here:

Today I am keeping with the two voice theme, but for today I decided to use the Godspeed VCO running through the C4Bon.
The second voice is the bOSC running through the SCPL EQ.
I'm using the Euclidian circles as the rhythm to drive the two voices.
The note sequencing is coming from the O&C using the hemispheres module running two parts: 1) Enigma Jr. and 2) Note quantizer
I am also sequencing the filter as well to give more movement to the Godspeed voice.
Kick and Hats are coming from my Octatrack MKII.
Effects are from a Collider Pedal (delay and reverb combo)

Any and all feedback is greatly encouraged and appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by and checking this out.

Hello,

This is my morning jam for Oct 4 2020:

This morning I decided to bring a second voice into the overall party, plus I did some tuning of my new external pedal effects.

Check out the jam here:

Please note, any and all feedback is greatly welcomed.

here is the rough setup:
new voice of a bOSC running through the SCLPL EQ (this is going to be a really fun module when I get it dialed in and morphing).
My other voice is the MCO through the C4BON filter... love that as well.
Kick and hats are coming from the Octatrack
For my effects I am now running two external pedals.
1) A Collider pedal, a combo of a delay and verb
2) A OTTO Bit Jr. (but I did not have the recording setup properly to save that this time... but it will be there next time).

Hope you enjoy and please, feel free to comment and give feedback.

Thanks!

Hello,

I wanted to say thank you for the feedback.

I agree the drums need more work, overall I was focused on the tones and seeing if I could get a nice groove going there...

I just did a new jam (on my most recently published setup)... with that jam I started to do small variations on the kick and hats. .
During this short jam , I was much more aware of the need to start changing that up a bit more.
So I really appreciate the feedback.

Here is a newer song where I was starting to do a little more drum variation.

Thank you again for the feedback.
Much appreciated.

May you have a great rest of your day.

Hello,

I decided to do a jam just using the MCO, two different patterns from the Euclidian circles into the VCA, and then used the envelopes from the VCAs to both cutoff the audio but also the filter and drive the filter FM level.

Overall I liked today's quick jam.
Check it out here:

I was also attempting to ensure that I could have a little better change in the kick and hats this time.
More to go, but always fun!

Hope you enjoy.

Hello,
This morning I decided to do another a jam.

I did a small change to the case and put back in the C4RBON filter.
I did not tie the bass line to a S&H so you get a little more movement.
I do need to take some more time to tune. :)

If you have any thoughts/feedback please leave them either here or on soundcloud in the song.
I'm always learning and the feedback is always appreciated.

May you have a good day!

Hello all,

This is part of my morning jam sessions where i'm learning to play my modular better so that I can eventually do a live show.
For today I put in an new OSC for a bassline and I am working on trying to blend the voices, keep the jam going, and most of all have a good time doing it. :)

Have a listen if you like:

All comments/questions are welcome.
Thanks and may you have a great day today wherever you are.

A few notes:
1) the kick is coming from my Octatrack MKII
2) I have the Manis running into the clouds for the lead(ish) line
3) I am sequencing in two parts:
a) the O&C is running hemispheres with Enigma Jr.
b) the steppy

Hello,

I did another jam today adding in the BIA and taking the clouds mono.

Notes:
1) I made Manis to clouds mono (I lost some volume here for this round, but i'll look at why later)
2) I added in the BIA
3) I was playing with some mods on the devices and playing a bit with the filters and envelopes to change it up a bit

I hope you all enjoy.

Any/all feedback is welcome!

Thanks!

Nice! Did you use the Octatrack for the kick drums or the BIA?
-- sacguy71

I used the OT for the kick drum.
Currently I just have the 2 outputs on the modular setup, so those were running the left/right of the Manis + Clouds.
I plan to expand to have more outputs soon, but was mostly focused on seeing if I could evolve a sound by using the 0cht, the Zlob filter, the Manis, and Clouds.
It was fun to hear that come together.

Plus, adding the effects in Ableton as send effects added that little extra.
basically, I'm looking at a few pedals that I would like to buy: 1) a delay and 2) a reverb, but for now I figured I keep learning with what I have and pick up the pedals in the near future.

I was thinking about adding the patch as well in the future.
That way if people want to see how I hooked it all up, they could try it if they have the parts (or similar) modules.

Thanks for checking out the sounds.

I am learning modular and really enjoying 64 HP it keep me focused.

Today I wanted to try the Manis running through Clouds.
You can take a listen to what I have crated here:

Overall I like how the sound evolves through the filter via the 0cht.

Hope you enjoy.

Note:
I am using send effects via my DAW:
1) H-Delay (Waves Audio)
2) H-Verb Long (Waves Audio)
3) Overdrive and Distortion Stop pedal (Waves Audio)