Stellardrone

Just a little weekend streaming fun with hacker/nerd/synth friends.

Watching my old Yellow Labrador Retriever nap in the sun. She sleeps most of the time now, dreaming constantly.

Main voices are two Moog Mother 32's, Plaits, and Telharmonic. Reverb and delay by Desmodus Versio and Mimeophon.

Hey, thanks. I actually have a hard time working with Odessa. It's not necessarily a complex oscillator that I understand very well. The HEL expander has made it a bit more accessible, I think.

Can you tell I've been listening to a lot of Stellardrone? I hope so. One of my biggest sources of inspiration.

This is a very simple patch with a lot going on.

XAOC Odessa, MI Plaits, MN STO, MN Telharmonic, and a Mother 32 create ambient pads and arps while WORNG Vector Space provides all modulation of oscillators, filters, and effects.

Points of modulation include: Odessa 'Density', 'Warp', and 'Harmonic Factor, Mother 32 'VCF Cutoff' and 'Mix CV' (noise), Plaits 'Harmonics' and STO 'Shape', and Ripples 'Freq.'

WORNG Vector Space is my new best friend.

Six months in the making, my first modular synthesizer album: Reticulating Splines. This is collection of eight tracks explores vast spaces and distant points of light. I hope you enjoy it.

A quick jam tonight on the Moog stack with an appearance from Plaits.

Hey, thanks. Glad you both enjoyed it. I'm checking out Anna Strom's work today while I have some quiet time with just me and the headphones.

Expanding upon last night's patch with Vector Space, switched VCO's to two Mother 32's and DPO. This version is completely automated by Rene v2 and Vector Space. Soundstage, MSCL, and SCLPL provide stereo space, compression, and EQ before heading to the Zoom H2N.

It has been a while since I have done an Evening Modular Experiment, so I wanted to cover my favorite new module: WORNG Vector Space.

In this simple patch, WORNG Vector Space is the brain providing nine modulated outputs, some fed through Joranalogue Select 2 and Instruo Tain, and provides modulation to Make Noise QPAS, Mimeophon, Desmodus Versio, and Telharmonic as a musical sequence is fed to Telharmonic by Make Noise Rene. Vector Space is fed by three unclocked, phased LFOs from Batumi. This patch offers a lot of exploration and I'm just scratching the surface.

WORNG Vector Space is an immediately approachable giant for modulation possibilities. It is simply incredible and can act as both modulation brain and force multiplier for other strong utilities.

Haven't had much time lately, but here's a quick jam on the Moog stack with support from the modular synthesizer.

I love my Soundstage and use it in just about every patch. This week, I added the Vector Space and am already really into it, so much that today I ordered the LRMSMSLR. WORNG Electronics rates in my top five faves.

Hey thanks, glad you like it. Here's part two of that set.

I wanted to spend some time with the Moog stack... so I did. :-)

Changing it up a bit with a two part jam tonight. Patching live and playing with Rossum Electro-Music Panharmonium to Make Noise Mimeophon.

Trident, DPO, and Plaits are modulated unclocked by DivKID ochd, so natural drift occurs beneath a clocked Mother 32 and DFAM. Additional space created with Clouds and Mimeophon.

Something went awry with audio normalization leading to some unexpected redlines. Ah well.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to stray from the usual for a bit. I'm getting too comfortable plugging and playing the same way.

For this patch, I took a complete different direction than usual. Instead of jamming a few good oscillators through filters and finding my way, I designed each individual sound to be a separate element of the track. Trident, DPO, and Plaits are modulated unclocked by DivKID ochd, so natural drift occurs beneath a clocked Mother 32 and DFAM. Additional space is created with Clouds and Mimeophon.

A quick patch played in on Telharmonic through Alright Zzzorb, XAOC Tallin, and clouds backed by two Mother 32’s and DFAM played through Mimeophon.

On the topic of popular, sexy modules, I just want to toss this in: Big, sexy modules are fun. However, it doesn’t take long to start feeling really good about doing something massive and complex with a handful of very standard, boring modules.

A quick patch and jam session tonight.

Just another relaxing, live jam on the Moog stack and modular. This weekend is going pretty well. My build is really feeling like an instrument rather than a collection of things.

This is mostly M32's, DFAM, Plaits, Telharmonic and live playing of filters (something I really enjoy doing).

Hope you dig it.

Had a very long week.
Wind storm. Power outage. Septic drain field problems. Job interviews and questionnaires.
Took some time this evening to chill with the modular synthesizer.
No agenda.
Just plugged holes and played.
Modular therapy.

Hey, thanks. I really appreciate the kind words. I was hoping for more synth time this week, but we had a major storm and lost power for a few days. Now I'm in the yard repairing a septic drain field and hauling out fallen tree branches. It's glamorous!

Hoping to get some time in this week before starting a new role.

Thanks again!

A short segment from a live streaming session on 01/10/2021. Main voices are Moogs, Trident, and Telharmonic.

Pro tip: Don't run a hot mic with a dog in the room.

Finally got a chance to sit down today and listen to the entire playlist. Nicely done, everyone!

@GarfieldModular Hrm. I'll check the embed settings on that.

Fixed on my end.

Streaming a live session for The Bl33p Bl00p Collective. Hope you enjoy it.

Yeah. Some things happened here. All came together rather nicely. Really nice session!

Hi,

this is my contribution.
what do you think of it ?

Recorded in May during lockdown.

-- klodifokan

Wow! Super good. Really enjoying this.

Two of my tracks felt like they really came together, such that I use them as reference tracks for stuff I'm working on. That says nothing about what others think of them, but if I keep them in my personal playlist then that's good enough for me.

'Cygnus' and 'Become The Sky' are two that I'm pretty proud of. Between the two, Cygnus feels like everything just came together how I had envisioned. Anyhow, I have so much to learn that all of it will probably sound laughable to me several years from now.

Thanks! This was a fun little jam.

Oh, cool. I'll check out that post.

An ambient drone performed on the bottom two rows of my modular build.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1345576.jpg

Haven't had much time this week to bleep bloop. Finally managed a few minutes this evening for a quick live jam on my Mother 32's. Big break coming up and plenty of time to do bigger things.

A quick jam on my Moog stack. DFAM, 2x Mother 32, Subharmonicon. Mutable Instruments Clouds & Make Noise Mimeophon for reverb and delay.

Sat down at the Moog stack for a random jam. Just improvising with two Mother 32's and a Subharmonicon. Make Noise Mimeophon for space.

These things are so much fun for getting into something quickly and organically. They feel great to play, too.

Hey, thanks! Really glad you liked it.

That thread was missing bits, so here's a new version:

This is my largest modular build, a Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 with three rows of 140HP. This is often supplemented by a 104HP skiff and some other semi-modular synthesizers, but this is my main rig. Now, this is how I approach module placement and overall layout. Your mileage may vary.

Top row, red: Oscillators. Main sound sources. Other oscillators (Plaits, Dixie, BIA) get dropped into that 104HP skiff when I need them. Simple.

Middle row, yellow: Primary modulation sources and utilities. At eye level where I can find them quickly. Arranged by where they sit within my workflow.

Middle row, pink: VCA's. Leftmost VCA is often used to bring in outside signals from my Moog stack or that 104HP skiff.

Middle row, green: Effects and sound sculpting. Reverbs, delays, compression and EQ. End of chain stuff.

Bottom row, blue: Filters. I like to ping and play my filters, so they are where I can reach them easily.

Bottom row, orange: Popular stuff. Interactive things. Modules I reach for often or that want a lot of hands-on attention.

Once oscillators are chosen, overall movement is from lower left to top right, ending with Make Noise XOH to a sound interface. This layout really works for me. I know where everything is at. I can reach things that are most important to me. Developing muscle memory is easier when the landscape makes sense.

Hope this helps!

It does have a VCA off/on mode that allows for a continuous tone. It's only one oscillator but one could run any amount of FM and effects to create interesting sounds. Maybe a project for tomorrow while I'm not allowed in the kitchen.

First few minutes with my new Moog Werkstatt-01, played with Make Noise Rene and through Mimeophon. Modulation by Pamela's New Workout. BIA provides the bass kick. Assembling this little synth was fun. Playing it is even better.

Clearly, I need to tune it across multiple octaves. A quick project for tomorrow morning.

Thanks, both. Sometimes, it's fun to just sit down and wander into something, especially with the Moogs.

Just a random patch and jam. Hope you enjoy it.

Another ambient session with Make Noise Telharmonic, DPO, and Mother 32. Filters are QPAS and Zzzorb. Mimeophon and Clouds manipulate spacetime.

First patch with Alright Devices Zzzorb. What a cool filter! Immediately approachable and serious cv fun within minutes.

For this patch, DPO plays through Zzzorb, then on to Clouds and Mimeophon. Make Noise Rene feeds Cloud 1v/oct for our little sequence. Trident, Odessa, and ochd feed cv to Zzzorb.

Just plain fun!

Thanks for all the kind words. Feels nice to connect with Telharmonic after not really getting it at first.

17 minutes... an elusive goal! :-)