Cheapla

ModularGrid Rack

Thread: 104HP 6U

Resonator: do you mean like a BBD? Flanger, phaser type things?
-- Tooth

Yes, or Rings, Twin Peaks,...

Hi gvfgvf. Interesting, more and more players of other instruments are starting to interface/act with a modular.
Have you considered any of these: Pitch to CV, Piezo pre-amp ?

Thread: 104HP 6U

percussion
resonator
controllers

Thanks, much appreciated :-)

Bought a uO_C lately from @kansha. Clear communications and a speedy turnaround made him a pleasure to buy from. Did business with him before and will do again. Thanks a lot mate.

I only searched for this on the detail page of a module and these options are not there. I wonder why one can only do this in the module list view.
-- mikeleebirds

That is possible now. There should be a button Add to Collection beside the Add to Rack button on the detail page.
Thanks for pointing out.

-- modulargrid

I reckon this forum only covers track & hold.

Get an extra power distribution cable and daisy chain. You checked for your power supply to handle all of these (and then some)?

Hi, not a biggy:

Go to the home page
Click modules on the black menu bar
Find your module/s using the search and sort (blue text) features
Each module has four icons: + (i) * and [briefcase]. Click the briefcase to own (lit) or un-own a module (unlit).

Report back on how that worked for you ;-)

On your last remark: You are very very right.

...added a 180° flip function.

-- modulargrid

Use it all the time so thanks a heap!

BTW, doing this with real hardware modules too, even when they are not ment for flipping. In my two row system I like to keep the jacks in the center as much as possible. It clears some of the cable spahetti.

Yep worls alright hovering. It's c and v though, not p. Which I am used to anyway. THx!

I was pretty sure I used c/p (not sure about tabs/windows) before but now copying from one rack in one browser tab pasting to another rack in another tab doesn't seem to work for me...

1. Get a used Doepfer beauty case (https://www.thomann.de/de/doepfer_a100mc_raw.htm).
    They go used for ~50 EUR and include power for a handful of modules.

Or

1. Construct a case from spare wood (see http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm for dimensions) or cardboard (). Rails are usually required for that but you can get away with using wooden bars and wood screws to attach the modules with. Get a (used) uZeus PSU and module. You won't grow out of that as fast as with the Doepfer. Heck I even saw a rack made of wooden book shelfs with the modules screwed to them and bricks and tiles as spacers! I guess you can't go any cheaper than that.

To connect the module to your other stuff your mixer should have a -15/-20 db pad switch at its inputs. That should bring your module level to line level used elsewhere. To get outside signals up to modular level, your cheapest option would the headphone amp in your mixer I guess.

You will need a module that can play samples (like Disting Mk3+ among many others). The module will take care of amping the sample to modular level. If you just want to get external line level audio into your rack for processing, a amplifier (+20 db) module is needed.

Think of a jumper as connector between certain parts in a circuit, much like a patch cable between modules. Either these parts get connected when the jumper is set, or not when it is left open. Does that help?

I have improved the search function. If you search for a user in this thread only the posts containing the username are shown. The old behaviour showed every post and just highlighted the search term. It's easier now to find out if a user is mentioned.
-- modulargrid

Thanks @yrn1 for what was possibly the fastest ever transaction on mg: Posted to paid in like 7 minutes. I recommend him for your trading needs. Straight up guy with exc comms and fast turnaround. Thank you!

All means how many modules?

That looks quite pleasing.
How do you connect yout Microbrute to it?
I wouldn't buy a filter I haven't wiggled before. Or at the very least compared with others I know, by video.

...limiting the number of whatched modules for non unicorn members. It constantly drains my wallet ...
-- suomynona

A technical solution for a non-technical problem? Umm.

I think that paypal's buyer protection on the goods/services buying option is a way to instill some confidence in a buyer. If the seller refuses to accept goods/services than I take the extra 3.5% or so of pp's charges for the seller. If the seller STILL refuses to accept the commercial payment I start getting very selective. Only when the seller has a track record of good conduct I will buy from him. Once I had more than one successful transaction I will gladly go to friends/family. Never had a bad transaction that way.

While it may be possible to make the commercial transaction mandatory, as forum operator I wouldn't go there. The only safe way for him is to strictly keep out of any legal involvement in forum member's dealings.

Well, in the end every one is responsible for his actions and any consequences thereof. When I'm buying from a forum member I will always check:

• date of registration
  • number of posts
  • number of racks
  • accounts on other forums
  • other traces of activity on the internets

If all that amounts to a profile of a well behaved active netizen with a good reputation all around I will buy.
If it doesn't I will move on. While no single item on the list is a a reliable indicator, all of them will tell me.

In other words, if I buy without protection from a member who registered just shortly, with no references to other internet activities, has made 0 posts, rated 0 modules, has 1 empty rack but a dozen modules on offer for cheap --- I'm probably very stupid.

Hi Mat,
did you read this?

Wish this came in 12HP size.
-- Johnson

Cut down
on your wishes ;-)

Thread: Change Log

No more overlapping tags

Finally changed the CSS so that the function tags don't overlap other info in the module browser anymore.

-- modulargrid

Thanks, much appreciated :-)

I've used Crusher, but I haven't used Clouds.

Crusher is rather difficult to use though.
-- soundmodel

I suggest trying your hand on a Clouds before you do anything else.

Well. If anything modular seems too much trouble, why bother at all.
Go for software.

Forget about headphone amps. Your modular level is already way too high; it will clip the input on your sound card. There is no point in making it even louder, right?

I was wondering, do I really need to purchase some "boutique" eurorack module to do the 5v to line conversion.
And could I perhaps get some normal audio mixer and use some adapters on it?
-- soundmodel

Neither Ladik nor Doepfer are "boutique"; they are at the lower end as far as pricing.
I guess you could use a mixer with a -20 db pad on the input.

Know someone with some electronics knowledge?

A-119 is mono: "The pre-amp has two inputs: an unbalanced input for line level signals, with a gain factor of from 0 to 20, and a balanced input with a gain factor of from 0 to 500, for insertion of low level signals, for instance from a microphone or electric guitar"

A-139-2 is a headphone amplifier. You need to bring down the level going into the computer.

Right, Ladik has excellent value for the money. Rather than investing in a specialized interface module (ALM S.B.G for example) you could get away with getting a pre-amp (A-510, A-520 , A-525 ) for input from computer to modular and a mixer (M-110, M-120, A-530) for attenuating from modular to computer level. BTW, no affiliation with Ladik here, I'm just a satisfied user. There are many alternatives. Note that this will be useful for most any external input, hi-fi, walkman, phone, whatever. And you will need a set of matching cables.

By know you are suspecting that just making Clouds work costs as much as the module itself. And oc you're right. On the other hand nothing of that is lost once you decide to expand ;-)

How will you handle the difference of voltage levels between your soundcard and your modular?

Could e.g. this power the Clouds:

https://www.rawvoltage.wien/eurorack-gehause/doepfer-a-100mc-mini-case-schwarz
-- soundmodel

Yes it can and does.
What are you going to feed into it?

Alright to all of that.
It just expected to see my latest module on top of that list. In fact it is not.
Instead, they are sorted by some other date, probably when the module was first entered into the data base.
Am I more clear now?

When viewing the My Modules tab in the module browser I expect to see at the top of the list the module I added most recently. The order follows some other rule though. Maybe it is sorted by date it was added to the site? Wondering...

Thread: Boraxrack

Thank you for the guidance.
-- koreyluna

Glad to be of help :-)
Ask more questions when needed.

Thread: Boraxrack

Occurs to me:
- you have no PSU/converter module
- there is no mixer, have an external?
- there are no envelopes/vca s so everything will drone

Hi, you now have one case 12U x 84 HP ? And want to expand to 18U x 84 HP?
Add another 6U x 84 case to put on top with appropriate PSU.

CV conditioning = offset, scaling, inverting, mixing of control voltages

Yes Frames is a bunch of VCAs and a mixer of sorts, but not all at the same time. Plus, Frames's special feature is switching between different settings of its 4 channels under CV control up to audio rates. Putting it to work as a bunch of bread & butter VCAs or a cheap dedicated mixer seems like a waste.

Get a dedicated multiple VCA and a 4 ch audio mixer. 2xVCX and Doepfer A-138b come to mind but are just examples (use the module browser). As a general rule I recommend cutting your teeth on a bunch of simple second hand modules and upgrade to more expensive gear when you really are able to make use of its specific features. Makes sense?

Looking good! Like to elaborate about the cases and how this setup came about?

Hi. I'm missing:
CV conditioning
VCAs
Mixer

...would like it to be easier to tag modules as "my modules"...If one has a lot of modules it's a pain.

-- SpittingLama

I agree, tagging like 200 modules is a pain.
But much less so than mounting them in a rack.
And you do it only once.

My vision of ideal setup is something hybrid with analog+digital+sampler sound sources as a base, with suffisant modulations to let my soundscapes evolve slowly over time and many filters and effects to sculpt the sound and mangle incomming sources.
And since I am not really experienced, I can not fully define a fixed setup.
-- Nanshe

You are covered in the VCO digital/analogue departments as is.

As for sampling, you basically have a choice of playing back with CV control pre-recorded audio (Radio Music), do live sampling/mangling (Reflex), or use audio for buffer manipulation (Phonogene) or grain synthesis (Sampleslicer, GrandPa). These are just a few that come to mind. They can all be used in more than one way, each having a different focus.

Whatever your sound modules, only flexible CV tools will make them shine. A multiple/quad envelope/LFO (look under Modules for function Generator) module will allow for that, plus attenuation,polarizing, offset, mixing to go with it. Your mh01 will do for a while. You will possibly want a quantizer.

Look at (videos of) Polivoks filter clones for candidates.

I would like to change this setup

-- Nanshe

Why? What are you missing?

View "Good Traders on the Marketplace" as a single page
Even better: On a module sale page, next to [Contact seller], make a link to that single page.
(with mentions of the seller's name highlited?)
Possibly also list number of posts, number of submitted modules and other info pertaining to
reputation as a trade partner.

Thread: Marketplace

Re the "All" button: Yes, of course - thanks.

-- KNYST

I second that :-)

Well, collected modular wisdom says whatever your rack size, it will be too small soon. Only question is how soon.

Thread: Change Log

Yup, big step in usefulness for me.

Hi. I see two basic strategies: 1. processing of piano sound, 2. deriving cv from your playing the piano to control modules.
The Clouds sure is a great choice for both. One feature I would definitely want in there is a pitch to voltage converter. Plus more more ways to get cv out your piano. Maybe from the pedal?
Curious what you come up with in the way of processed piano!