120 bpm = 120 quarter notes per minute. you want to clock your sequencer with 16th notes, which is why you need to use the x4 outputs. it's doesn't matter how you multiply or divide the clock, it's all in 120 bpm.

My experience: buy a decent drum machine/sampler and focus your modular for a specific task rather than viewing it as a jack of all trades.

if you are using stages for sequencing you might want more envelopes. Maths could more or less replace Function + Shades + Kinks and would give you an extra envelope for only 2hp extra space. Also, bear in mind you need 2HP for the Arbhar expander and that random modulation is really useful for getting the most out of granulators.

Go slowly is the best advice you are going to get.

Random is the most important kind of modulation for granular.
-- richc90

No. You need smooth, SLOW modulation waveforms to make scanning through granules easier. Do it too fast, and you don't get the right sorts of textures.

-- Lugia

Speed/smoothness has nothing to do with whether the modulation is random (think of Sloths).

Random modulation to things like position, panning, grain size, amplitude, pitch etc are all standard practice in granular synthesis (go look at any software granulator with built in modulation, or the Supercell module which has internally generated random modulation normally to the CV inputs). Whether a given kind of modulation will give you "the right textures" (whatever that means) will depend alot on the specific audio in the buffer and what results you want to achieve. That's why (for instance) the Granulator software offers you ways of randomly modulating parameters as well as more standard LFOs.

FWIW I'd get Batumi and Blinds rather than QPLFO and SISM.

Random is the most important kind of modulation for granular.

Um, Chord v2?

Just be careful with levels: modular signals are really hot and you might need to attenuate them down to a level your mixer can handle. My Behringer handles modular levels tho...

Keystep is probably the cheapest sequencing option

The VCA isn't really needed since Plaits has one built in and Rings doesn't need one.

Sequencing?
Output?
Audio mixing?

Marbles does a lot of this on its own.

Rather than planning it all out in advance, the best strat is often to get something like a 0-coast and a key step and then think about what you want to do that you cant do with that. You'll otherwise spend hours trying to pick modules based not on what you do need but on what you think you need.

Alternatively, get a key step and something like plaits (lots of tones with a built in vca), maths (envelopes, lfos, utilities) and warps (with parasites installed). Then worry about what else to get later -- e.g. if you always use the delay in Warps, get a delay...

The two complex oscillators cover a lot of the same ground --- I'd swap one of them out for something different like a Verbos Harmonic Oscillator or a Wavetable Oscillator.

Thread: Budget Rack

You could drop the uVCA or Optomix in a rig with a single oscillator.

DPO is lovely, can't recommend it enough --- a recent DPO drone of mine: Reverb is also very important, love my Erbe-Verb. The Harvestman stuff is really good for that kind of sound: Hertz Donut and Piston Honda as voices, Double Andore and Kermit to mix and modulate. Check out James Cigler's videos on the PH and DA on youtube.

Had great transactions recently with:

@Salamanda (sold Clouds)
@Bosco (bought Kermit)
@Kanou (bought Harmonic Oscillator)
@Jbaptiste (sold Double Andore)
@Distone (sold A118)
@Daniele (sold Multi-Envelope)
@St0rMl0rD (sold Rosie)
@mgla (sold Sloth)
@denosx (sold Warps)
@bjorne4224 (sold A138d)

Wogglebug is a good idea for many reasons, and the DPO sounds great through an LPG (Optomix, LxD).

The "wishlist" function would be cool, though I guess you could just create another rack and put wish listed stuff in there.

Clouds really needs an attenuation module as a patch pal, so you can control the amount of modulation you send to the parameters and have more subtle modulations (compare, e.g., the Echophon, which has attenuverters on board for this job (the white knobs)). I'd also think about getting something like a Wogglebug which would give you a tactile random source with which to modulate your other parameters.

Mixer wise, you might look into the Intellijel Dub Mix with the Aux expanders.

Also, maybe have look at the Phonogene.

Take the "Size" parameter. You can control it via the pot on Clouds. And you can also modulate it via patching something like an LFO into corresponding input on Clouds. But what you will also want to do is control the amount of modulation you send to that parameter, for which purpose you'll need to patch your modulation source (your LFO, say) into an attenuverter and then patch the output to the size input on Clouds. Now can can control the amount of modulation you send to Clouds using the attenuverter. On other units, the intermediate patching isn't necessary: the six little pots on Rings, e.g., allow you to attenuate the amount of modulation sent to the various parameters.

True, you can do this via the MIA or channels 2 or 3 of Maths, but utility modules, whilst boring, will really help you to make the most of the more exciting modules like Clouds. And since Disting now supports Sample playback ala Radio Music, I'd personally get something like ATATAT instead.

? Peaks and Maths provide envelopes ?

Looks good to me, but since Clouds lacks attenuators on the inputs you might well need another attenuation module just for Clouds.

Honestly, I would have left the Rosie (mixing with an effect send for the delay, plus audio outs). Also, whilst the Optomix is great -- I rarely get tired of hearing the STO into an LPG --- the Opto is a combined VCF/VCA.

Unless you are absolutely sold on the UHC and that specific delay -- to return to the first comment, why have you selected these modules in particular? --- I would suggest swapping the delay for something like another disting (which has nice delays) + ModDemix. Also, you just have one voice here, so I'd add another VCO.

So, I'd suggest something like: FH-1, Disting, STO, Dixie, uFold 2, Maths, Optomix, ModDemix, Disting, Rosie.

Basimilus Iteritas Alter by Noise Engineering is an absolute must for this, plus the Mutant Drums. The main question will be: how will you sequence your drums? If you want to do it without external gear, Surgeon uses either Trigger Riot or Circadian Rhythms, which both demand alot of real estate (28HP and 36HP respectively). The alternative is something like BeatStep Pro.

If you google image search for "Surgeon Modular" you can see his 208HP racks.

VCA?

Sounds boring, but something like Mutable's Shades or Intellijel's TriAtt or ALM's O/A/x2 so you can control the amount of modulation you send to your other modules. Also, a random source would be a great addition: something like the Qu-Bit NanoRand or SSF Analog Ultra Random or MN Wogglebug. You also only have one filter, so another one with a different character to the Moog's would be a natural choice, or maybe an LPG like Optomix or LxD.

Totally agree with Fastus, especially that you should do some background research on how elements of a modular system fit together. The kind of sound you describe as aiming for isn't exactly easy to achieve, and you'll in any case need to get to grips with the basics first. You wouldn't go far wrong with something like the Make Noise System Cartesian as a starting point, getting to grips with that (and there is plenty to keep you going) and building from there. You'll then see that whilst the selection of modules you've listed are all great, you really need a host of utilities to unlock their power.

It gives you a random source, which is great for modulating things, a noise source, a sample and hold...
See here:

A random source would be a very natural addition: Nano Rand, e.g. I also disagree with the first post to some extent. Though Maths is 20HP, it is such a multifunctional tool that it earns its keep even in a small space. I would, however, try to maximize efficiency where possible: the Mutable Shades or the Intellijel Triatt would you three channels of attenuation or mixing, which might be worth it instead of the A138, and the Mutable Peaks is a better use of HP space than the Dual ADSR since it gives you various kinds of envelopes, dual lfos, or drums depending on what mode you are in.