speedy recovery, while your presence is missed my bank account needs some recovery as well. It seems I am always picking up a new module that I never heard about in your posts (106 Chorus, now that one is lovely)

Another option slightly cheaper https://www.perfectcircuit.com/lmntl-splitter-hub.html

You should check out wigglehunt.com great cross site modular search, not always 100%, but I was able to find some modules from smaller vendors that aren’t in my usually check list.

The modbap Osiris is also worth a look, you can’t go wrong with Plaits though.

Proverbs 11:12

Not that my opinion holds a ton of weight, but Luiga is totally right. I just picked up a palletate, but I also have a 920 hp main build (started with a mantis) and can rotate things in an out of my palette when I want to focus on something specific. I wouldn’t consider this as a main case for anything as the form factor really is a constraint and for all the money you spend to fill it up you end up compromising on modules when you are trying to make things fit. Unless you plan on making videos with pictures of succulents it will become frustrating and/or boring because of the limitations and constantly having to try and make things fit that really belong in a bigger case.

When you have lots of modules to swap in and out you can dial in a nice set of modules, while at the same time switch things up all the time so things don’t get stale, which is what you see all the you tubers doing. Heck some times I only have a couple modules in the pallette but I am not forcing myself to cram as much functionality in as possible which does give you much more freedom to pick both modules based on both form and function.

As others have said you can put together a nice little groove box, but when starting out I think this focused design is just a disaster waiting to happen as you don’t really know what workflow works for you and what modules you like. It’s much easier to fill 62 when you know what you are trying to achieve. I actually think if you have to ask what modules you should get to fill a small case you definitely shouldn’t get one, but that’s me I am glad I started with a mantis and now have enough hp that I can swap things in an out of several different case builds with a specific intent and see what works for me for a given project and set of goals.

I would look to add more random, like divkid rnd step, or a wogglebug, I would also want a dedicated slew, perhaps a make noise function or a joranalogue contour 1.

Given you have a nerdseq I would get the more cv expander, while the envelopes are not as crazy as a zadar, you get lots of modulation capabilities integrated with the nerdseq ( love this sequencer), and a quad vca is a great choice veils is preferred by many but very hard to source. I would give this a go then see what you feel you are still lacking. I have heard mixed opinions on zadar. You really only need a buffered mult if you are looking for multing pitch cv but it doesn’t look like this is a focus or need in this case, you could use some attenuverters like a 3xmia, and I don’t see any random modulation source, marbles, wogglebug, divkid random step. The tough thing is you have a lot of big showcase modules and not a lot of room for modulation, that’s why I think the nerdseq expander would be a great choice over an ochd as you get 16 more slots for lfos and envelopes.

As far as mixers go, it kind of depends, while the WMD performance mixer is great you could get away with something like the cosmotronic cosmix, you definitely can get more value with an external mixer and save the HP.

I agree this is a bit weak on VCA's.

I find sequencers are a very personal item and really depends on the workflow you are looking for. I have several and each has a purpose, one I don't think is mentioned a ton but is my favorite so far is the NerdSeq, as far as step based sequencing I don't think there is a more powerful sequencer 10 tracks (6 modular and 4 sample/audio including fm voices). While I wouldn't consider the sample tracks a comparison to a dedicated sampler (limited memory) they are a nice to have for some added spice, or you can use these as basic oscillators including 2 or 4 operator fm.

I try not to emulate the gear choices of artists as this rarely works out, what workflow works for one artist won't likely work for another. I remember when I was young I brought my drum kit to a party and another drummer used my kit and pretty much showed me I had a lot to learn because I never heard my kit sound so good, I never was able to reproduce his "tone" on my kit. Same kit different artist, completely different result. Its your instrument to develop your workflow and your sound.

If you really want polyphony you are better off getting a polyphonic synth, it can get really expensive really fast in euro and still be a struggle to dial in a sound as quickly as a good poly synth will. State Azure is a good example of a mixed mode artist that incorporates lots of different gear and is not strictly modular and that gives a lot of flexibility and can save a ton in costs.

As others have mentioned, start small. Sound source (plaits is great because it is so versatile with built in lpg/vca), a way to sequence and a modulator, Maths is a great choice. Start here the perhaps add some fx, Beads or an FX Aid, and away you go.

Pip Slope, I think there are better options Maths has great envelopes. I think Acid Rain Maestro is a great clocked modulation source when you start reaching for more modulation, and if you want more function generation/envelopes you can always add a make noise function or a joranalogue contour 1.

I have several Instruo modules they are great, but on the expensive side. I think there are better options here as well. The Dixie II+ is a great analog voice.

As far as samplers go, I think the Assimil8or is the best eurorack sampler hands down, it is a bit expensive but worth it and I have a 1010 blackbox standalone unit and am a fan of 1010 in general.

You definitely have a lot of quality modules but I wouldn't just march down this list because where you start after you have a few modules and a better idea of what you can and want to achieve I assure you will change where you end up.

How are you planning on providing pitch cv, the erica synths module is for trigger only, what are you going to be sequencing this with that you require dedicated trigger midi only?

I personally think given the single voice in the current rack that, having both the behringer and the befaco envelope/lfo is not necessary and would lose the behringer, also consider Maths as a replacement for befaco (though that is a personal preference).

FX Aid is a solid fx replacement.

Filters, there are a ton though I would look at doepher both the Wasp and SEM are great affordable and readily available filters. Intellijel Polaris is a great overall filter as well (though harder to source)

Given this is your beginning what is your end, what are you trying to do within modular, having a better sense of that will help drive some suggestions, what gear are you pairing this with. Are you using external mixers? Is this going to be a standalone groove box?

I would look into getting a Disting as well since there is a lot of utility baked in a small hp and is great when you need some function to try out in a patch before committing to a dedicated module and comes in handy in small racks.

I have ordered a bunch, in the last few months from all over the US (I am US based), perfect circuit, detroit modular, control, sweetwater, chuck levins, and everything has arrived. I used the default shipping (whatever was marked as free) and honestly haven't paid too much attention, some things have been delayed a few days here and there but I always got what I paid for. While I can be as impatient as the next guy, frankly these are luxury items that have always arrived independent of what was used for shipping. This reminds me of the airline argument when people claim they will never fly again because only to find that in an imperfect world things just sometimes happen and all carriers can and will be at fault. I recently got a module from one of the vendors above all nicely sealed that clearly had rack rash, made a simple inquiry and got a new panel shipped from the manufacturer. My only gripe comes when something doesn't arrive/doesn't work or isn't as described and there is any issue getting a refund or a new item resent, luckily for me I haven't had this issue ever, I must be one of the lucky ones. International shipping can be a different issue as customs is quite a mess, though I have ordered a few things internationally and haven't had an issue here other than longer shipping times.

Slippery Slope mode engaged, have fun planning your expansion.

That’s a great tip on using scales, I will have to give that a go. I’ve been a more plug and play user of quantizers, select scale, use attenuators and mixers for stepped random voltages and let it run. I almost picked up the Addac quad quantizer but it is so expensive I used ornament and crime quad quantizer to program separate chord tones and switch between them, but I like this approach as well, solid.

A dedicated quantizer or a sequencer with built in quantization will help keep things in tune. Ornament and crime is great value with a quad quantizer built in, scales is a dual quantizer, but you have less control over the notes available to each channel. When paired with a matrix mixer and/or an a*b+c polarizer you get a lot playable improvisation. Now this helps with the no wrong notes, controlling dynamics and when voices play is a topic in and of itself and the options here are many, mutes are a easy cheap option to switch on and off voices during live performance.

A dedicated quantizer or a sequencer with built in quantization will help keep things in tune. Ornament and crime is great value with a quad quantizer built in, scales is a dual quantizer, but you have less control over the notes available to each channel. When paired with a matrix mixer and/or an a*b+c polarizer you get a lot playable improvisation. Now this helps with the no wrong notes, controlling dynamics and when voices play is a topic in and of itself and the options here are many, mutes are a easy cheap option to switch on and off voices during live performance.

I have an FH2 and is great and you can get lots of expanders for additional CV and triggers. The configuration web page is old-school, but if you set-up a few presets you can save these as configurations that you can load pretty easily. You definitely don't want to use the module for configuration, best to use the UI for configuring a bunch of presets and use the module to load them based on what you are trying to do, (I have a couple depending on whether I am using it for CV, different clocks, envelopes and triggers etc.)

you can definitely get a bunch of guitar effects on the cheap (eurorack can be expensive, but pretty much everything eurorack is),

This thread has a lot of great FX discussion as well

I have u-he (love their soft synths, zebra is a beast) CVilization, lots of great cv mangling utilities, though takes some getting used to to memorize the various modes and color encoders.

Check out their youtube for some good overview tutorials, here is one of the options that can be enabled.

matrix rotation

merry that with a worng vector space and you have lots of cv mangling fun.

I use Boredbrain INTRFX works great as an effects send/return loop even excepts cv control.

I think the one thing about clouds ( haven’t tried beads) is that it does seem to take some work to get the most out of it, though sometimes I just use it for the reverb. I have had some success with the parasites firmware if you have it you might want to give that a go the resonator is nice and the additional miverb mode is also worth a go.

I love all effects the more the merrier, I love pedals

Pedals,
Chase Bliss moods
Walrus Julianna
Fairchild Shallow Water
Death by audio Rooms

Euro
FX aid XL
Desmodus stereo reverb
Ruina stereo distortion
Uburst (clouds clone)

On my watch list
Mimephone
Vermona Retroverb Lancet spring reverb

Mix and match with bored brains intrfx

All good depending on the patch all provide endless sound design and cross patching.

The one thing I don't see is any sort of filter.

Nice,

I am just getting back to recording, after a major move (still have at least 2 more coming). I am curious as to what cameras you use and how many? How do you handle camera switching during your performance. I would like to start recording live performances as I am staying out of the box to focus more on all the hardware I have acquired over the years, but don't have a good handle on all the gear to pull off a good sounding performance that captures what I happening.

Thanks again I enjoyed listening this.

That’s what I usually do is tune to middle and have both octave up and down, because it is normalled you can have 3 octave span. In a single input. I often patch these into a gated switch to further drive melodic sequences.

Thread: ideas

Well I have been expanding my rack and loving every minute of it, but could use some suggestions. First thing is I have a Pittsburgh 420 that turns out is actually 423 HP. The bottom row is actually a tiptop happy endings that I have mounted in my studio desk and is completely full, but the top row has 23 HP available.

I am looking for interesting modules to fill out this case.
ModularGrid Rack
Current thoughts:

Batumi
Planar
4MS Peg

Let me know what you would add and what makes it an essential component of your kit (I have considered PNW but I have a lot of that covered and not sure I am in love with the menu system for the types of functions it provides)

Yes, buying modules has become an exercise in patience. I am now registering months ahead of planned module expansion at many sites and buying modules as soon as I get a re-stock notification because if you don't get something you are interested in as soon as it becomes available (even pre-order) you could completely miss a re-stock and be waiting another six months if not longer.

I recently picked up a steppy this way and glad I did because it was out-of-stock in about 24 hours.

If you compute the cost/hp for any given case it just doesn't make sense (especially in a small system) to re-rack anything that already has a case and power (lots of discussions on here about that). I would consider swapping the two passive mults with a mutable links, you get a 1:3, 1:2 (sum or mult), and a 3:1 mixer in 4hp. If you need more passive mults consider getting stackable or those knuckle splitters.

There are many i/o modules, I happen to use the 4ms i/0 has both an input and output section (that supports headphones). I am assuming the two pico outputs is an oversight.

I also use the Joranalogue Fold 6 (great wave folder in 4hp). I am not familiar with the uTune, or the BBD, but I would consider replacing the BBD with an FX aid XL you get a lot more effects for the money and when you settle on which effect you use the most you can get a dedicated replacement for that algo and try more of the available options (once you expand to a bigger case and you will expand if you keep at it).

The nifty case is 55mm but is also 84hp so a bit bigger, although that could be seen as a plus. I don't have any experience with these cases but seems to be a decent bargain with the included midi.

@InvictaRed I do not, though it looks like the disting is 50mm deep and the 4MS pods are 50.8mm seems a bit tight and could be a problem if tolerances are not exact (often the case, I couldn't fit a standard 19inch rack patch bay in my desk because the tolerance was off by a fraction)

I have both, but I got the FX Aid XL first, great fx module use it all the time, so much so that I wanted a dedicated reverb to get more use out of the FX Aid. I mean I also have a clouds clone and use that as reverb. I am always on the lookout for a good reverb, have my eyes on Death by Audio Rooms Reverb and then I can try the other modes of the Versio platform.

In short: You can never have enough reverb, the FX Aid is great lots of algo's to try. I got this first and a dedicated reverb when I wanted use other algo's in FX Aid and not lose a reverb (love the lofi junky algo). Don't forget pedals these are a great add to any modular system. The NE Versio platform is great, the distortion option would be a great add to any Dark Ambient (if you have any reverb even clouds/disting would be a great combo)

The only thing I wish for the Versio would be a front panel usb mount as it stinks having to unrack the module everytime you want to switch modes.

Not sure on having so much hp tied up in both pams and fh-2, if you are looking at midi sequencing you can get envelopes/gates/clocks/cv from fh-2 saving 8 hp, you could pick up a filter and effects.

Its limited and small, but I am assuming that is part of what you are looking for.

@farkas, I saw this today and thought you might want to take a look

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/adventure-audio-merge-white-panel

Given what you already have what are you trying to do, but feel limited in doing? Before adding more voices I would focus on adding utilities to get the most out of the voices you already have. Trying to get multi-voice polyphony in a case this small is a recipe for disaster, plenty of voices just not enough tone sculpting ability so you won't be able to get the most out of all of them.

Are you planning on doing all drums in case, BIA is great module but you don't seem to have enough modulation to really drive two of these, while stages is a great module you might want something like a quad lfo (batumi for cadillac, doepher for value/hp) instead since you have a voltage block as well.

I love the SSF dipole, but not as my primary filter, I would look at the Polaris great bang for the buck filter (saves HP).

Needs some attenuverters, 3xMIA, Lapsus Os, matrix mixer, mutes, switches, etc.

Look at 4ms I/O similar output module 6HP, there are others as well I just happen to own this one.

I will definitely let more experienced people chime in, but I think you would quickly become frustrated with your ability to carve space for all these voices with the lack of utilities.

If you are talking about the Assimil8or you have 422MB of sampling memory, you could get just shy of 28 minutes of stereo recorded at CD quality, not bad, though I am still waiting for my unit (on pre-order) haven't given that a thought as I record to my Tascam Model 24 SD, I have a Standalone BitBox and can't say I am in love with it as a sampler (as a sample playback it works great, I find the recording is off when dealing with odd measures).

I just picked up Bored Brain's IntrFx, and a few pedals.

I do have the space guides on, this works okay but it would be nice to not have to select a module just use mouse over event in empty space to show the guides.

If would be really helpful to highlight the hp count for empty blocks. It can be hard to see how much hp you have available between modules or at the end of a row. Much like having the info when you mouse over a module displaying the hp it would be nice to display the hp available in empty spaces. My eyes aren't what they seem and I find myself trying to count the hp and that gets tedious after about 6 hp.

I was looking for a Steppy but found Analogue Haven has Polaris in stock ( DO NOT FOLLOW LINK IF YOU CAN'T RESIST IN STOCK FILTERS)

in the middle of your range:

Intellijel Polaris (On my radar)
Mutable Ripples (On my radar, one or the other not both to me)

both solid filters

On the lower price end
Doepher Wasp is on my list (likely before the polaris), there are plenty of others, LPG can be added here as well if that is your jam
Make Noise LxD (I am always finding a use for this)

On the upper end
XAOC Belgrad (In my case currently)
Instruo I-o47 (In my case currently)
SSF Dipole (soon to arrive)

Been sidetracked moving (absolutely awful, but sold my house in an incredibly market now renting until I find a new place), but settling in and bought a new 420 HP case. Should be back to making music soon.

I have the Instruo I-o47, XAOC Belgrad, just picked up the SSF Dipole (soon to be delivered) and LxD (don't forget about the low pass gates).

I also have my eye on the Doepher Wasp filter (will likely make an entrance soon).

Some people can never have enough VCA's, and while I agree, I love filters all of them.

Others I have on my radar:
System80 Jove
Filter8
Polaris
Three Sisters

Yeah I have been fooling with layered time pulsed with a solid grid by sync to slightly drifted off grid melody that dances around the main pulse. It was an interesting landing spot so I just hit record, not really designed as a track more just fiddling around hence the name.

BIA drums
filtered goldbaby clap sample
Humble Audio Quad Operator, Pachinko, LXd, quadigy, mimetic digitalis, quad VCA, 3x MIA, Ochd, FX-Aid, Bat Verb
PEAK

Tracked into Studio One
FabFilter Q3
FabFilter Pro-C2 bus compression
Waves Limiter

buying anything on a secondary "used" market is and has always been buyer beware. It is up to the buyer to make sure they are getting what they are expecting and are cognizant of the underlying costs. Any misrepresentation by the seller is not cool and sellers that act this way don't survive long before people no-longer buy from them, and in this case I feel bad for anyone that did their homework and simply didn't receive what they intended to buy through no fault of their own (ripped off). On the other hand, if someone a seller prices something above market it is the buyers responsibility to recognize this and through the powers of supply and demand simply make that calculation for themselves, if you buy something and then come to find out you overpaid (and allow this to impact you emotionally), perhaps you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

If you buy something that you want, got exactly what you ordered, just could have bought it somewhere else cheaper, better to just let it go and enjoy what you bought because at the time you bought it you were okay with both the item described, and the price and got exactly what you paid for.

Jim is once again spot on, you need a bigger rack. Eurorack requires lots of space as these single use modules take up space and you need a lot of them to get the most out of your investment. If you buy a small case because the bigger cases are too expensive you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

There are lots of cool videos of small racks sounding awesome, the issue is that these small racks sound awesome for that specific sound and in some cases only that kind of patch and without enough supporting modules you will get bored or frustrated rather quickly. Ultimately either reselling your modules or getting a bigger rack that you should have started with.

It would be in your best interest to start with a bigger rack (don't focus on the need to fill it right away) so you have the best chance of finding your way in eurorack. It is an expensive hobby and there are lots of other ways to try a little before making this kind of investment like a neutron, dfam or similar semi-modular system to start.

I also wouldn't start with the Ataraxic (I have this one) as a voice, this is apologetically digital and taming it into warmer tones takes a fair bit of work. I would start with something like the Dixie II (my favorite workhorse osc), or similar analog osc. I like the Dixie because it has a ton of features at a great price, you will get a lot more mileage out of the Dixie as a first osc imho.

If you are looking to get a part-time quantizer, you might want to consider Ornament and Crime instead of scales, you can get more use out of this module when your Metropolis arrives and don't need the dedicated 4 channel quantizer.

Got some more new toys.
Picked up Pachinko (Marbles Clone), Ornament and Crime, Ochd (have a Klavis Quadigy coming)

Drums - Kick, Clap, HH samples on Blackbox, Pyramid Sequencer

Only Voice
Humble Quad Operator (This one is a beast of fm goodness)
Tons of modulation
Pachinko, an O_c, Mimemetic, Clep Diaz, Ochd, 3xMIA, Maths, FX-Aid, Bat Verb

Two tracked into DAW,
Drums Basic Sequence
Modular Live Jam

Thread: New Toys Jam

Just picked up a Peak and Humble Audio Quad Operator and had some FM fun

The main FM voice is using the Peak. The second FM voice is the quad operator, Belgrad, Fx Aid, Bat Verb, Mimetic,Ochd, 3x Mia,

Pyramid running clock, and sequencing perc on the Blackbox.

BIA kick

Tracked into Tascam Model 24,
Studio one EQ, Final Mix

Anyone have any experience with these modules, I am looking for a multi operator fm voice and have narrowed it down to these two. What I like about the quad operator is the matrix mixer vs the fixed algorithm of Akemie. Opinions welcome. I am also looking at pairing this with a new addition of Marbles as a primary modulation source, but am open to other random trigger/cv modulation source.

Thread: Anna Logue

Well done