good advice from @joesh there

but also add - read a lot of newbie posts - especially ones where they want to make similar music to you

in addition to the go to modulargrid - the best advice is to not worry about the size of the case to start with think about
- what modules do you want
- what modules do you need to support the modules you want

this almost definitely involves asking advice on forums

once you have this add 30% extra for expansion and you will have the size of the case that you need

at the bottom of the rack you will see the power requirements of the modules - for any modules that don't have power draw listed - and for expansion hp, I use 10mA/rail/hp as a rough guide for power requirements

add up all the power requirements and then add another 25-30% for overhead - this is needed otherwise you may have issues, especially when turning the modular on as some modules use significantly more when starting up than when in a normal running state (mostly digital ones)

small cases are often a false economy as they are usually very expensive per hp and fill up incredibly quickly - they are great for taking a few modules from a large rack in order to focus on them (learning a single new module for example) but are really not so great for starter racks

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

For Soundcloud, the file must be in 44.1 Khz (std in audio).
For YouTube, the file must be in 48 Khz or 96 Khz (std in video).

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en&topic=1728573&hlrm=en-GB&ctx=topic#zippy&zippy=

And, of course, nice modular Buddha Machine :)

I tried it in VCV Rack but unfortunately the chipz and cellz module is not included

If your computer is powerful enough (likely it is) then you can try out module and patch ideas on VCV Rack: https://vcvrack.com/

Thanks for your help. I gradually read myself into the mdular synthesis. I tried it according to your information. Could this patch work?

alt text

Nicely done! And in fact, keep that Tides + Quad VCA together...that gives you the ability to mix between and vary the outputs from the Tides for even more modulation fun.

I wouldn't swap the MIDI out. That Befaco appears to be the right choice for the space vs. functionality. Nor the FX Aid XL...it's a great little module, does what you expect, and sounds really nice. The only thing that might give you some grief is the depth on that Doepfer A-171-2...it's 60mm, which is a bit much for smaller cases. But if it fits, again, keep it. This actually came out pretty well, given the size.

Hi folks,

As I continue my modular journey, I find myself wondering "what would be really great?..." for various sections of the modular setup. I've had some earlier threads on sequencing, DAW I/O, etc. Next I'm wondering about VOICING, specifically pitched (non-percussion) voicing.

SO, I thought I'd ask, what would be your "dream" voicing setup for non-percussion sound design in Eurorack?

To give some constraints to this, let's assume:
-- up to 20 modules total, including up to 8 oscillators/sound sources, up to 6 filters, and up to 6 anything else voicing-related (e.g. waveshapers etc.)
-- we won't bother to include any CV, sequencing, utilities, I/O for now
-- with the up to 20 modules selected, let's try to "get the best of modular" e.g. represent a high % of what modular is good at on the voicing side of sound design (e.g. avoiding loading up on modules with similar functions)
-- we will assume the rig is used for ONE or FEW voices at a time (e.g. not trying to optimize for high polyphony, just one or few really great voices)

Here's my v.1

ModularGrid Rack

Comments:
-- DPO and Mindphaser would be my pics from among complex oscillators. Yes there are other good options (like C-sl) but IMO these are very solid and a good complement to one another. I could be talked into better alternatives for complex OSCs if there are some
-- Trident and FSSOSC2 are my pics for additional analog oscillators that are super interesting, powerful, and unique to Eurorack as far as I know. I know of basically zero good direct alternatives to these
-- Shapeshifter is there for powerful Wavetable OSC capabilities; Odessa for additive; Erica VCO2 for grimy overdriven analogue
-- in filters, we've got Optomix for dual LPG, then 3 Rossum filters -- Evolution giving a great and flexible ladder filter, Linneaus giving a very interesting modern FM-ing filter, Morpheus a very flexible digital filter, then Morgasmatron as my favorite among dual filters (SFF Dipole being another great option)
-- my "other" pics are waveshaping/resynthesis; with Tain I can switch audio at audio rates; Bifold is a great waveshaper; and Panharmonium for resynthesis
-- that uses up 15 of 20 possible modules for this "exercise." What I don't have included yet is any granular stuff (as I don't know the good pics there well) or sampling (as Eurorack sample-based stuff has not been a priority for me, rightly or wrongly I see it as less convenient than VST options)

SOOOO... if you are interest in kicking around some ideas for a "dream voicing rig" I'd be interested to hear! Of course there aren't right or wrong answers here. But I am curious if we can drive to a "super solid, deep and interesting" voicing rig within the constraints mentioned above.

Thanks all!

Nicholas

Mixer's in the wrong spot...move it to between the Chips and Rings, then use it to mix the two voice oscillators before sending it to the Rings, where you also "stereoize" the mono signal coming from the VCOs. Then run the ODD and EVEN outs (or one or the other...depends on the sound your aiming for) to the Clouds inputs...provided, of course, you already HAVE a Clouds, because they were discontinued a couple of years or so back. If not, Mutable's Beads is their "mk ii" of the Clouds. That's pretty much the "base configuration" that exists with these.

If we're talking NLC modules, you definitely have to throw the Sloth versions in there if you have a derivator or comparator. Since those values change so slowly, you can use them to make random shifts in the patch's architecture by tracking either their motion or levels. Definitely a must-do!

Beautiful rack, FX Aid gets a +1 from me, it's a great module to round out a build like this.

TLDR: I made a kind of Buddha Machine in a 3D printed case. Links to print files in main text.

I have long been a fan of FM3's Buddha Machine - https://www.fm3buddhamachine.com/ - gorgeous little things. I wondered how I could build something similar. But I put that into the never-never, nice idea, but not going to happen. Too much complexirickery electronicalist smarts, clever soldering and so on, to learn.

Then, a couple of years ago I discoved modular (yes, I'm a newbie all right. Generative patches and so on.

I found this nice little 3D printable case on Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4863118 - 46hp in two rows. I got one printed. The 1u row is designed for Intellijel, but I bought Pulp Logic. About a half a millimeter too big. So I designed an adaptor to take them - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4954825 - and I actually think I like the look of that more than if it was flat.

These are the modules I chose - the only difference is that the blank is 3D printed too.
ModularGrid Rack
The main case is pretty shallow, so I was only just able to get some of those 2hp modules in (the Pluck has an extra washer at each screw between the module and the case to lift it that extra millimeter). I bunched the deeper modules at the left, leaving space under Monsoon, and the passive modules for the power connections. It's pretty tight in there. In my naivety I thought I would fit the spring reverb tank in there too - it ended up mounted on the back, and I had to drill a hole in the case for those cables.

But, I'm pretty happy with the result. With the Zlob LFO and Diode Chaos, I can vary those parameters on the Monsoon, smearing out the sounds from the pluck and the play.

The audio and video is an eighty second loop coming from the Play, with a little bit of sound from the Pluck (I might swap that out for another Play) (the YouTube sound is a little different from the SoundCloud - something about my video editor meant I had to run the file through some filters before exporting. I named the SoundCloud file Polar Sequence Fragments Pt II because that seemed more interesting than 801-1254.mp3.

I think a Buddha Machine retails for about $35, but this looks like about $1400 of modules. Still, my Buddha Machine has nine tracks. With this, I can just keep making more and more.

Always worth checking out Wiggle Hunt as stock for a lot of manufacturers seems to pop up randomly

https://wigglehunt.com/?query=pressure+points+-chain&condition=&stock_status=in_&price_min=0&price_max=5000¤cy_code=150&sort=price

Looks like it sold quickly.

One just popped up for sale on Reverb in the last hour. Hope you can grab it!

@Cangore:

-- re: MIDI options, there's a lot on this thread https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10312 where I was recently reviewing what would be best for me on this front. I settled on ES-3&6 to go round trip to the DAW via ADAT (letting me keep using my main interface in Windows) plus a CVThing for more basic MIDI tasks including sending MIDI to grooveboxes, etc. IMO the "what I/O is best?" really depends on your setup and objectives. But you'll find a lot of food for thought in that thread, surely. Net net, IMO Befaco and ES have some very solid options covering a variety of use-cases, and I think there's a lot of good options for MIDI in.

-- FX Aid XL, I've heard great things about and would get one if I didn't already have some good enough solutions. I think its a very solid option, esp. for small builds.

-- this small a build, I can't personally make sense of, but if it works for you, then great!! BTW Lugia is great helping improve racks, esp. small / dense ones, so I hope there'll be a chance of getting some of his feedback for you before your rig is more finalized.

And yes, I'd also like to hear what this sounds like when you have a chance to post!

Very cool, thanks for the comments above guys!

A few module notes I'm compiling from recent investigations (compiled here for my reference and anybody else interested!):

-- Pamela's New Workout (PNW) is SO capable that it may preclude the need for other related modules OR it may make sense to get a 2nd PNW instead of some other modules. For example my Doepfer A160 modules don't do anything a PNW can't do (I think!) and the three of those cost more than a 2nd PNW would; wish I'd figured that out months ago. Anyway, food for thought: the answer to a lot of these types of questions might be "get a PNW or a 2nd PNW if you need that many channels"

-- There are a few brands that carry a lot of relevant modules for this domain: Ladik, EMW, Noise Engineering, and NonLinear Circuits (NLC). A few of these are discussed below:

++Some Ladik modules of interest include J110 Derivator & J120 Comparator for getting gates out of general signal (audio or CV); U-031 Gate to Trigger Converter and S-185 Gatsby Gatemaker for going gate to trigger or trigger to gate; S-195 Microdelay or U-090 Clock/Reset Corrector to give micro-offsets to correct for signals that may be too overlapping (such as when trying to synchronize clock/reset signals needed across multiple devices). S-195 or U-190 I may need if running a big patch with a lot synch'ed; we'll see.

++of EMW modules, Pulse Counter and VC Trigger Source stand out as options

++Noise Engineering has a LOT to offer in this domain, however much of it already overlaps with stuff I already have. Worth checking out though if you have fewer clock/gate modules and are looking for additional interesting pieces

++NLC has quite a lot of interesting modules in this domain https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules?tag=Logic%2FGates If I didn't already have clock dividers / PNW I would consider NLC's. Most interesting to me next from NLC are 8-Bit Cypher and Divine CMOS. But I am waiting on an order placed 2 weeks ago for Squid Axon and Neuron. I'll need to wrap my head around those. Safe to say, if I wanted a bunch more "make a fun mess with gates" capabilities, additional NLC modules would be a likely go to.

++ aside from those main brands with lots to offer in this domain, there are other interesting offerings from ADDAC (their clock), Shakmat, Ornament & Crime (and its variants) and a few others

I'll probably circle back in the next day or two with a few more comments on musical applications (not so module focussed), AND I need to spend more time reviewing the video and comments above. Thanks for all the comments, its a big help!

Hi everybody,
I wanted to get MN Pressure Points as part of my first rack but it seems to be unavailable everywhere.
Does anybody know if it will be available again sometime in the near future or will it possibly not come back at all?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Jo

Hello everyone, can you show a beginner a few patch ideas of this rack?

alt text

Thanks and greetings

Wow this is a surprisingly cool "tiny build". I'd love to play with this machine too!

Sadly no, not yet,
I‘ve been mostly enjoying in quiet and haven‘t come around to recording anything yet. But I‘ll make sure to post about it when I get around to!

Great suggestions, thank you :)

I can't help you on your questions unfortunately, but I'm super curious of how this sounds.
Do you happen to have some records of it?

Hey joesh,
I wanted to share my opinion on Stages vs Maths, since that's a decision I also made not that long ago.
I went with Stages and it's a lovely module. however I also have an additional Analog function Generator in my Rack. [...]. It's weird to describe but it really drools with the Mutable Instruments way of doing stuff.
I love it, but you might not.

All the Best
Chris
-- Cangore

Hi Chris, that's great thanks.

I guess when it comes to Maths vs Alternative, it seems I'll probably have to make a decision, and then just try it. As most people, it's not really the idea of not having Maths, more the idea of trying something else. I have to admit Falistri looks very interesting from what I've seen when watching reviews and demos. However, apart from Mod Wiggler discussions, which some seem very positive concerning Stages, I was intrigued to understand that you can loop your 6 waves to use as LFOs, or envelopes, and more (it seems). In comparison Falistri only has 2 loop-able possibilities (please correct me if I'm wrong)? But, on the other hand, there seems to be other features which make Falistri very tempting.

Anyhow, I guess the search goes on for what fits best where. So, I'll probably make a plunge next week and order some - or most of the modules - up on the rack and see how it works out. I just have to decide on a suitable case, preferably powered, and then press ..... buy!

I thought this review/tutorial (which I'm sure you all know) seemed to put the alternative Maths problem into context:

just bought a twisted electrons octopus cv sequencer(not something i had planned)and dont know if it will be any good for Dark Ambient????

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Hey joesh,
I wanted to share my opinion on Stages vs Maths, since that's a decision I also made not that long ago.
I went with Stages and it's a lovely module. however I also have an additional Analog function Generator in my Rack. which I'd be tempted to say is like one half of Maths, but that's not the case (I also have shades from MI for attenuverters offsets and mixing, that plus a single function Generator is a lot more like half a maths and suddenly takes up 12HP). One difference between the Function Generator that is hard to Grasp and describe for me is the immediacy. Stages is digital at heart and if you want to clock it or something it will take a few clocks to settle into a steady rhythm sometimes, sometimes there's artefacts, etc., there's a few times I've found myself wishing it would be more "playable" more "immediate". However I think that the possibilities with that module are almost endless but I recon it's a very different mindset to the Rampage, Maths, Doepfer A-171-2, Falistri, Delta-V and alike. It's a means to an End, very versatile but at the same time intentionally limited and focused. It's weird to describe but it really drools with the Mutable Instruments way of doing stuff.
I love it, but you might not.

All the Best
Chris

Thanks.

Do you plan a 32 channel cv interface?😁

Cheers
-- klodifokan

Absolutely! As I mentioned above I would like to have it at least 16 which could be extended to 32. I love polyphony I'll need that. :)

My favorites that aren't already included here are the Noise Engineering Zularic Repetitor for some off-time/"polymetric" gates and the Low Gain Electronics Short Bus v3 for manual control of fills and gate sequence switching between different sound sources. NE also has the interesting but discontinued Confundo Funkitis that I have thought about tracking down.

Thanks.

Do you plan a 32 channel cv interface?😁

Cheers

Let me start this of by stating that, yes, this is not a Music Easel, it will never be and I wholeheartedly understand that.
Anyhow I really dug the Name and I feel there are a few similarities in form-factor and functionality.

So I'm starting to feel very confident about this built, this morning I had some time to sit down with the system again and it's so very inspiring and sounds great to me, yet I wanted to get some final Input before filling the case to the brim. And even though the consensus around here probably is that this case is too small, for what I'm trying to do I feel it's just right.
The Intention always was to have a very flexible single Voice. obviously this is a modular and it can do more if you push it, but I was looking for a singular Instrument that inspires me to come up with something on my other stuff, not to have a groove box in modular format.

So this is where I'm currently at:
ModularGrid Rack

I recently bought a Digitakt which I enjoy so much that I really want to Integrate it with this little Setup. I have previously stated that I mostly use the Doepfer LFO as a Clock, which hasn't changed so I figured I might as well substitute it for a midi interface and get my clock from that, also the Digitakt obviously features great LFO's and CC sequencing so that would make up for the loss probably.

I also recently threw out the Deeper A-112 Random which I never really got along with in favour of the ladik comparator which imho gives me more functionality when it comes to rhythm and the external input.

Speaking of external Input I substituted the the Doepfer A-119 for ears. mainly because of the manual Gate functionality and the contact mic (also size). So now I can always use the thing, even when nothing is connected to it's Input.

One thing I also discovered by throwing disting into the upper row is: I really want reverb and effects for this thing, I've always been a sucker for verb on Guitar and that doesn't seem to change with synths.

So here's what I'm planning for:
ModularGrid Rack

please give me some honest opinions, especially if you think there's better Options regarding effects and the Midi Interface.
I know that FH-2 would be great, but I'd like to keep it a little more immediate and to my surprise ever since I got the Digitakt I don't really feel like expanding the modular, so that benefit would be pointless.

PS: Am I the only one around here that loves the combination of Tides V2 and a basic Analog OSC for a Voice to death? That can't be. Please share the love if you see the benefits of that setup, maybe there's something to learn.

what important or interesting musical use cases for gate/trig are not covered with the setup above?

I'll talk only about my experience so consider that my racks are probably much smaller, and my music isn't good 😊 My first approach to eurorack was almost exclusively rhythm based. I bought and used extensively most of the modules in your second row. And to me, it resulted in a pretty uninspiring configuration. Note that I didn't have a lot of other modulators to make my sounds interesting, but more generally I don't think rhythmical beauty of a piece comes from that much clock complexity. Most interesting rhythms I found were created by other synthesis methods.

If I remember correctly, this video has been pretty helpful on that matter:

That being said, if I had to produce dance music, play live or just be effective in rhythm patterns and transitions, I think your rack would handle 99% of what I'd want!

Hope it helps 👋

Looks good to me! I love the Gate Delay too.

Hemisphere has a dual slope detector applet called Trending (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Trending) that could be super interesting here. It will probably also give you an offset/inverter in another applet but I don't know the suite really well yet.

The deep thought could be interesting too. As of my favourite clock modifier, I'd say something like the Time Wizard: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/shakmat-modular-time-wizard but this is only from watching their intro video.

Hi Klodifokan,

The module I'm using is my own development. It's running a sw that communicates with the iPad.
The iPad sends over the data through a TCP/IP socket (WiFi) as a CV sequence that the module stores in its memory and plays it back with a given tempo.

Hi,
This is really great.
What kind of midi/cv interface are you using?
The box behind the iPad.

Cheers

How about this? --
ModularGrid Rack
The Line In is at the far left, then there's a quad random voltage source (great with drums + filtering), a gate/trigger translator (useful for changing one to the other, plus you have the ability to define gate lengths...important for the:), Xodes Boolean gates tile (logic is an essential for rhythmic work), an Apex 4ROBOTS, which is a multifunction device similar to the Disting, but with a few differences, and then the LPF.

FYI, you might want to un-set the "private" setting on that build. Makes it easier to copy for reworking.

Thanks Lugia, I’ll do some more research on those modules you mentioned.

Not sure if you didn’t see them, I do have Compare2 and Coherence in my lineup (row1 right). But some simpler comparators may make sense to add to those, and/or some discriminators. I don’t own any Ladik stuff yet; several of their gate/logic modules might make good additions.

I’ve also been interested in EMW modules (like their counter) but think those have been unavailable for a while? Pulse Counter and VC Trigger Source stand out as options.

As I think about this more, I find it’s not only a question of “what other modules” but also a question “what important or interesting musical use cases for gate/trig are not covered with the setup above”?

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

They're quality, and one of the better starter cabs out there. Expandable, too...Tiptop makes a "hinge" that you can use to put a second Mantis together with the first. Check it out: https://tiptopaudio.com/mantis/

And while they ARE made of plastic overall, they use metal rails for module mounting, so no real difference there.

Definitely some "hellz yeah" stuff in there, notably the Bytom and the Malekko Gate Delay. My suggestion would be some "pick-off" modules such as comparators (window comparators, especially), discriminators and the like.

Comparators send a gate out when a given voltage threshold is reached. But window comparators are MUCH more complex, as they support several comparator circuits behind one panel. They're called that because they have two or more thresholds, creating a "window" range between them. The Frederick Haer biomed units I use offer gates on "below bottom threshold", "window" and "over second threshold", in addition to trigger pulses on crossing the thresholds, and you see a few (like Joranalogue's) that work in that same area of complex outputs. Feed 'em something periodic like an LFO, and you'll get repeating gate patterns off of the comparator.

Discriminators are a bit rarer. Ladik has a brilliant one that outputs a gate depending on the movement of CV...rising, falling, steady...and there's also minimum/maximum modules that output the appropriate voltage level between several incoming CVs.

Also, don't neglect inverters here. They're how you get NAND and NOR functions out of typical Boolean gates; some Boolean modules have this already, but when you've got those inverters busy, a couple more can ALSO be of use.

ModularGrid Rack
Drum oriented portable case I am about to finish, these are picks from my own collection of modules.
I'm a bit struggling with the 1U row, loving Mosaic though.
What should I do with that 1U row further?
Something like this perhaps? I've seen it in several cases on YT.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ritual-electronics-guillotine

A 1U row can be a real asset in a travel case, I wish more developers would concern them with this.

I would love to hear experiences here, that would help a lot.

Double OCTAVE Jump
LFO clocking Sequencer, Tempo input in (single clock advance mode)
LFO Tri -> TEMPO

Octave Jump 1
LFO set to Square, VCO MOD AMT (LFO/ FREQ) tuned to an Octave

Octave Jump 2
Gate Output -> Mix 2
VC Mix -> VCO Lin FM
VC Mix knob tuned to an Octave (Can flip VCO MOD AMT Destination to Pulse width to make it easier to tune)

NOTES
- Long Decay Time to hear both octave jumps, shortening takes away the octave jumps
- Filter MOD switch to LFO to hear just the Hi or LO notes with the different polarity engaged
- Sustain switch can be either way to get a different result
- VCA mode can be turned on

Just "finished" the the DFAM style track(s). It's outputing 3 CVs: Trigger, Pitch and velocity. I tried to patch in a way that it sounds like a real DFAM. Check it out:

Here we go, I just needed a bit of a nudge to use the DannySound Timbre ;-)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Cheers guys :)

Ahh, OK.... The closest I get to Buchla is the DannySound Timbre being fed a Sine or Triangle wave. I've just been playing with it to make a slightly acid line letting the envelope tweak the Timbre. I keep meaning to use a very slow LFO to try make a very long evolving note, and I've made a beefy Kick sound from it feeding it from the ADDAC103.
I must experiment more.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

If the criteria for the build is that it needs to be powered and portable, I would recommend looking at a Tiptop Mantis.
-- Lugia

Thanks Luigi, that's quite a coincidence, I had indeed looked at the TipTop cases - I'd seen someone talking about them somewhere, I'll definitely look into that as a serious possibility.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Thanks a lot for your details on the Subsequent 37. Pity that the presets seem not to fit however glad to hear that the rest of it sounds great :-) Full size keys... oh-ooooh, another thing on my ever growing wish list ;-) Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone of you going this year to the Superbooth? I finally decide to go and bought the tickets online and booked a hotel in Berlin. I will be there on Thursday and Friday, the late afternoons and most likely the evenings. You can recognise me by wearing a Garfield T-shirt if the weather isn't too cold.

Is it a nice idea to meet a few of us here on modulargrid.net in real, at the Superbooth talk about our fantastic hobby? :-)

If you prefer more a one to one meeting, just send me a private message and we will take it from there. I hope to meet you in Berlin and I look forward to my very first visit to the Superbooth, yeah! :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Garfield - I love the Subsequent 37! But not without some effort. The mod section requires some practice to manage. And this is very subjective, but I didn’t like a lot of the presets so I ended up replacing most of them with 3rd party presets. That completely transformed it into my favorite synth in my studio. Hook up a delay and a reverb and you are in synth heaven! It’s keys are full size. Cheers.

So you pick a type and the corresponding CV output(s) and it will be added to the user interface as a track. For example I'm currently working on a type that will mimic the (sequencer) interface of DFAM which I really liked.
-- mudi

Hi Mudi,

That sounds indeed very interesting. Also if it only would be a "few" lines of code to add some sampler functionality that makes it (very) attractive as well I think. That might go perhaps a bit into the style of Elektron, for example the Octatrack.

Okay, good luck with the PoC. Once you have finished your PoC and you decide to continue this, then it would be nice to hear from you again with hopefully interesting details :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Some explanation of above rig:

-- imagine the signal is ultimately going to in rig modules (esp percussion) and / or routed out of the rig via CV Thing / ES modules in lower right. I'm not including any voices in this image above but yes there is plenty for downstream voicing

-- top row above is sources. PNW, Circadian, Trigger Riot give a lot of capability on that end. Followed by 2 comparators to derive gates from CV/audio in my broader rig. A few mults so I can copy any signal for reprocessing / redistribution

-- 2nd row (left) in particular is where I'd love some suggestions. I'm thinking of this as "modifiers" for clock/gate/trig signals. Already we have some Logic, clock divide / multiply units, gate delay, integrator (Bytom) and switches. I'm wondering what else might be great adds?

BTW the above rig is already up and running and it is crazy badass, I love it. I got into modular for complex OSCs like DPO but over time I'm finding the control (CV/gate) possibilities are fantastic. I'll appreciate any suggestions to make this clock/gate/trig setup better, thanks!!

Hi Steve,

That's a great combination, your Eurorack with that Moog Subsequent 37, what a sound! :-)

Are you happy with the Subsequent 37, I was thinking of that synth too, just wondering, does it has mini keys or full synth keys?

Thank you very much, have a nice Sunday and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi folks,

I've been building out the control portion of my modular rig lately.

For clock / gate / trigs I've basically got this:

ModularGrid Rack

I'm wondering what else might play well with these modules? Particularly I'm wondering what your favorite clock/trig/gate modifiers are?

I will add a bit more explanation in a next post.

Thanks!!

Nicholas