Just out of curiosity, Liine's Lemur running on an iPad and driving something like a Expert Sleepers FH2... how is this superior?

Thread: ideas

Because you have an odd number of hp left, might I recommend the 9hp Patching Panda Punch v3? It’s a super useful and surprisingly inexpensive dual VCA/envelope generator and more. It looked kind of cool so I picked one up and now use it in everything. Definitely worth looking into.

The first track uses my Lorre-Mill Double Knot and CL Plumbutter. The second uses a Bug Brand Board Chirper, Plumbutter, and some geetar.

Cheers!

Edited to add - if anyone is familiar with it, the first tune reminds me in parts of a Peter Sherrer/Arto Lindsay tune called Pretty Ugly.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Thread: ideas

Well I have been expanding my rack and loving every minute of it, but could use some suggestions. First thing is I have a Pittsburgh 420 that turns out is actually 423 HP. The bottom row is actually a tiptop happy endings that I have mounted in my studio desk and is completely full, but the top row has 23 HP available.

I am looking for interesting modules to fill out this case.
ModularGrid Rack
Current thoughts:

Batumi
Planar
4MS Peg

Let me know what you would add and what makes it an essential component of your kit (I have considered PNW but I have a lot of that covered and not sure I am in love with the menu system for the types of functions it provides)

Here's a twisted idea for #2: instead of going with a VCO, you might find this more useful both as a sine VCO (up to a certain range) AND as a special LFO: Doepfer's A-143-9. Quadrature LFO modulation might sound quite interesting...for example, you could send the four phase-shifted outputs to the Veils' CV ins and get a perfect overlapping "strum" from the VCAs. Other possibilities are there, too...
-- Lugia

Interesting you say that...before I went down the path of just adding another VCO (Richter Wogglebug, MANGROVE, Loquelic Iteritas, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas were in the HP range I was considering) I did searches on primary=VCO secondary=LFO because I was wondering if I had LFO covered but then remembered I have Maths and Quadrax (I just today got notification that Perfect Circuit has QX Expander in and ordered immediately!!) so figured I had that realm pretty well covered. Is the Doepfer you recommend sort of a 'specialty' VCO/LFO module then? vs like what came up in my search (Dixie II+ and others)

JB

Love it! Well done.

Hi Garfield,

I am not going to Superbooth but I'm sure it will be a super fun experience for you. In addition to all the things on your list of must-do items I'll put in my request. If you can find time or happen to stroll by the Rabid Elephant booth please take a look at their new Portal Drum module (not released yet - been in the works for a few years). They showed an earlier iteration of it in 2019 and it looked fantastic in videos I saw. Let us know what you think if you happen to see it.

All the best.

Thanks guys!

That sounds awesome Lugia - a few questions:
- Pros/Cons to this approach when compared to a daw?
- What main sequencer could I pair with the sampler? Would have to be complex enough to run a large amount of voices, and not be entirely loop based (continue to move to the next sections of the song), jump to certain sections?
- I’m sure the modulation sources would be helpful in making it feel alive - is there some way to play parts in non quantized? A “humanizer” function (could be done within the rack)?
- Is there a possibility for cv controlled sample switching (e.g. different velocities)? Crossfading between sample velocities?

links is still 'in production' - well hasn't been 'discontinued' yet - probably will do sooner or later
kinks is discontinued but last time I looked there were some still available in stores
wmd/ssf toolbox is a good substitute for kinks if you can't find one though

Emilie is discontinuing anything that has the old aesthetic (coloured knob caps) or does not sell well

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hello, here's my latest video. A bit noisy but just enough to make it Lofi..

Thanks everyone, brilliant suggestions and advice. It looks as though I need to take a look over Stages, Maths and Falistri, and then make a choice - or even buy two of those!

Big thanks for the input everyone.

just bought a twisted electrons octopus cv sequencer(not something i had planned)and dont know if it will be any good for Dark Ambient????
-- Broken-Form

why do you think it may not be any good for dark ambient? sequencers don't care what type of music they are making - they just do what they are told!

-- JimHowell1970

good point

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

if you don't have much room for other utilities
-- troux

then your case is too small!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I don't find Falistri overcomplicated and cluttered.
-- plragde

good - my impression is just from looking at pictures of it - I'm sure it's a great module, just not for me!

Hi Seanmonaghan,
Oh wow, sounds great your music! Kind of film music with a bit of a touch of a mixture between modern Isao Tomita and Philip Glass. He, he, and you got yourself a cute small mini-Eurorack ;-)
Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Wow, thanks. Very flattered. I feel like such a newbie, but film music is something I do like, especially those albums where people have scored imaginary films. Cheers!

I can see the temptation of another filter here but I'd probably add more modulation or utilities, maybe a Turing Machine, Links or Kinks (even though those two are out of print I guess? what do we recommend now???) or barring that a different end of chain effect, maybe a Beads.

I have a Falistri and a Maths and like them both. Falistri does a ton for 18HP and it does have some really unique features. One thing I will point out that I don't like about it though is that the green and yellow sections are not actually function generators, they're envelope generators which means that some of the cooler things Maths can do Falistri can't. So from my PoV if you're interested in learning some of the basics of analog synthesis, if you value tactile interaction (IMHO Maths is the more ergonomic of the two) and you have other support utilities Maths would be the pick, if you don't have much room for other utilities and you just need a module to get 5/6 different things done pretty well, then Falistri is a solid choice with the bonus that it can also function pretty well as an oscillator.

Good stuff, nicely done both sound & visuals. A pleasure to watch and listen.

I don't find Falistri overcomplicated and cluttered. I chose it over Maths because it seemed more straightforward to me (plus I liked the aesthetics better, a small bonus). The Frap modules have a lot of modulation options with attenuverters, which really helps. Falistri has both bipolar and unipolar outputs. Shape does not affect cycle time, which is important when using it as an oscillator. It tracks V/oct really well. Maths can do some things that Falistri cannot, and vice-versa. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

this user has left ModularGrid

Joesh, a few comments:

-- I agree with Lugia, if you have space and $s for a larger case, why not leave yourself some expansion room? That said, Cangore recently put up a very nice small build (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10432); yes it can be done.

-- PNW, Stages, Quad VCA, I have those, those are great. PNW is so good I'd recommend it almost without restriction. Stages is great also BUT since it is so flexible it takes some time and work to understand; I have DATA which helps a lot, I can run Stages into DATA to really see what the envelope is doing as I tweak stages. The Divkid video on Stages is also a big help. I would take Stages over Maths in a smaller build, but that's just me, I use Stages more than Maths. BTW the Loopop video on Maths is excellent, dispels a lot of the "wtf is this" questions. Aside from Maths, you could consider Joranalogue Contour 1.

-- you mentioned you have some external gear (sequencer) etc you would use with the new Modular setup. I would encourage you (if you haven't already) to fully think through how you link and synchronize those. It's very doable; it'll just save you some headaches

-- so much stuff is stocked out lately, I tend to go with options I like that are also in stock vs. waiting forever for a particular module to be available, who knows when it will?

Hope this helps!

Nicholas

This isn't the right approach. For one thing, modular samplers tend to be rather limited (by space, storage, and current draw) when compared to a 15-20 year old Akai. Those work differently; you have multisample capability because the RAM isn't as limited, plus some (the late E-Mu ones) offer some interesting resampling capabilities. Contrast that with something like the 1010 Bitbox, where you basically have sixteen monophonic samplers under a global control set and the sample triggers.

What I would suggest would actually be one of the late E-Mu units (E5000, ESI4K) or later Akai (5000 or, if you can find one with the panel, 6000), then stacking this with as much RAM as it'll handle. Then just leave the sampler's OS on its internal drive, and for all of the sample data, get a Gotek or Nalbantov FD replacer so that you can use large SD cards or thumb drives for your sample files as well as any patch save data. Once you've got, say, 256 GB or more for those with rapid media access speeding up the sample load/save process, you've got a seriously hot-rodded hardware sampler.

Now, here's how you factor the modular back into this...

Instead of creating a build that does ALL of the sampling work, create one that ONLY works as a controller system for the sampler. This would have a sequencer, the usual array of modulation sources and cohort modules...but NO sound generation capabilities. Instead, this build needs to use Silent Way (if on PC), Volta (Mac only) or Ableton Live's CV Tools (either) to translate and/or process the outgoing CV/gate/trig signals from the modular, converts this to the appropriate sysex calls, and sends them back out to the sampler WITH the potential for also adding further complexities via the computer's capabilities. Beefier, more robust, and more open-ended.

Thanks for the suggestions! Haha sorry, I totally missed where you said hardware.

Of your non-modular samplers, is there one that would be able to successfully use orchestral samples? Have you tried something similar/had any success with it?

I’ll check out the module suggestions as well, actually haven’t heard of Rample! Looks like it could helpful in terms of sample grouping…

Hi Seanmonaghan,

Oh wow, sounds great your music! Kind of film music with a bit of a touch of a mixture between modern Isao Tomita and Philip Glass. He, he, and you got yourself a cute small mini-Eurorack ;-)

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Here's a twisted idea for #2: instead of going with a VCO, you might find this more useful both as a sine VCO (up to a certain range) AND as a special LFO: Doepfer's A-143-9. Quadrature LFO modulation might sound quite interesting...for example, you could send the four phase-shifted outputs to the Veils' CV ins and get a perfect overlapping "strum" from the VCAs. Other possibilities are there, too...

Hi Gabor,

Nice video! Has this been filmed from an AVE train? The train goes even that fast that you go up-side-down ;-)

Video and music goes well together, nice work here :-) Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Almost...you don't need to connect the mixer out to the Rings' CV in...that part of the path is purely audio. You can get the Clouds and Rings to respond to CV by multing one of the CVs coming from the Chips, preferably one controlling a VCO so that it AND the other two modules are responding in heterophony.

I definitely agree that using samples within a daw is the easiest way - I am a film composer and that is how I work daily.

I am wondering what possibilities there are for running a sample based modular rack that incorporates some element of orchestral samples.

Surely there would be greater opportunity for sound design that incorporates the samples, as well as having a new way of approaching writing.

some modules are selling out before the restock emails are sent out - possibly due to pre-orders - the email from Blicken stated that they had received Optomixes, but they had sold out before they sent the mail!!! so if you particularly want something just order it and have patience

For Soundcloud, the file must be in 44.1 Khz (std in audio).
For YouTube, the file must be in 48 Khz or 96 Khz (std in video).
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en&topic=1728573&hlrm=en-GB&ctx=topic#zippy&zippy=
And, of course, nice modular Buddha Machine :)
-- Jihel

Thanks for that pointer - I'll double check my settings. Pretty sure my audio is right on Soundcloud, but unsure about the video.
Cheers

Thanks a lot farkas and troux! Unfortunately I came too late for the one on Reverb, i will check Wiggle Hunt. Didn't know that page. - It's great!!

Drums and percussion by Disting Ex, lows by Instruo Ts-L, highs by Mangrove.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Hey everyone,

Just for fun, I started thinking about what would be possible (and functional) in a sample based rack - for composing orchestral based film music.

This would allow for custom “sample libraries” loaded straight into the rack, and could be recorded from professional DAW based libraries e.g. spitfire, east west, etc. You would then need to be able to sequence all the instruments individually.

What would a theoretical rack look like? What would be the pros/cons to working in eurorack format, versus the normal daw approach? What sequencers are complex enough to create a non-loop based orchestral score? What sample modules have large sampling capabilities - and on a “one sample per note” basis?

Again this is completely theoretical, and I thought would be a fun discussion about the uses of modular - would love to hear your thoughts!

Could well do, I seem to recall taking your advice on the Matrix Mixer and MI Kinks.
:)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hi,

Let us know when your midi interface will be for sale.
If you have some for sale.

Thanks for your work.

Cheers
-- klodifokan

Thanks for the interest but it's long way to go.
I don't know what would be the best business model for this product. Sell the HW and provide a free app (App Store) or make an Opensource/DIY HW and release a paid app?

To date, I have everything in my rack except the Sirius' Veil (filter that I had considered pairing with the same buidlers VCO to the left) and QX Expander for Quadrax (keeping space reserved for whenever Intellijel decides to release more...ugh, impossible to find one right now)
ModularGrid Rack

Would love feedback on the questions below:

1. I have 14HP set aside for Sirius' Veil but recently considered Patching Panda Moonphase (same HP...better features?) or Supercritical Synthesizers Neutron Flux (2HP smaller...that price though). Aside from the module names being a great match (gravitational waves and moonphase...seriously how could they not be a perfect match) any thoughts on one or the other? Also looking at the Neutron Flux now...I would gain 2HP but that price is certainly giving me a little heartburn. For a smaller setup like mine though, the flexibility it offers it appears to offer may be a smarter choice for me...thoughts?

2. Considering the 18HP (or 20 if I go with Neutron Flux), I am looking at for sure adding Disting EX (again, for a smaller setup, this seems like a good choice to provide added flexibility) which leaves me with 10HP (or 12) for which I am considering another 10HP VCO (Richter Wogglebug, MANGROVE, Loquelic Iteritas, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas). Any thoughts on a good VCO fill for the 10HP?

3. Anything glaring that I am missing and should consider before any of the above?

JB

Hi,

Let us know when your midi interface will be for sale.
If you have some for sale.

Thanks for your work.

Cheers

Yes, buying modules has become an exercise in patience. I am now registering months ahead of planned module expansion at many sites and buying modules as soon as I get a re-stock notification because if you don't get something you are interested in as soon as it becomes available (even pre-order) you could completely miss a re-stock and be waiting another six months if not longer.

I recently picked up a steppy this way and glad I did because it was out-of-stock in about 24 hours.

it's not just make noise - everyone has been affected to some extent - and it's not over yet!!
not only is manufacturing capacity down for ICs etc, but shipping of components has been problematic and manufacture of actual modules and then shipping them and then retailers etc etc - it all adds up

Thanks Jim, I'll check that out, sounds an interesting idea - also glad to here/read that Make Noise is re shipping again. There seemed to be a real slow down from them over the past year due to the pandemic (I guess).

these are all the pedals i bought during the global pandemic. i'm on the fence about adding my bf-2 and ch-1 to this, since i got them both mod'ed during the pandemic...

the last new pedal i bought was around 2018-19 (and about 2016 before that...) so this is a lot crazy for me

they are laid out in order i got them:
top left colour theory 1st---->

the sovtek clone was commissioned for and gifted to me and it sounds amazing

edit/update: ive since traded the x-space and the back talk, but wanted to keep a record of them here, so i turned them upside down

an algorithm you will never understand decides what music you listen to

i tried to sort these as best i could by brand AND effect type. There are a few i'd like closer together like the tararira and the ps-5, but i think this lays out pretty well - my first was the RV-3 in like '98 and the latest are the sub n up, te-2 and parallel mixer (all bought at the same time june/july 2021 ). as of this typing (sept 2021) i have three more pedals on the way, another reverb (nebulosa from Velouria in Brazil), another delay (count to 5 - so excited for this one...) and a violet rams head clone (also from Velouria) - and i need to add the Sovtek muff clone someone made for me a bunch of months ago

added the rest of the velouria pedals, but they arent together... i want to try and re-arrange everything to get brand AND type closer - now its just by type and mostly brand, hehe

edit Nov 26, 2021 - got everything as close to brand and effect type as im gonna! and ive added the two drone-type devices too

an algorithm you will never understand decides what music you listen to

as you already have the dannysound timbre - maybe patching you own complex vco is the way to go?
maybe double up on the vcos you do have - using one pair for a slightly detuned bassline and the other for a waveshaped complex oscillator with the timbre

just bought a twisted electrons octopus cv sequencer(not something i had planned)and dont know if it will be any good for Dark Ambient????
-- Broken-Form

why do you think it may not be any good for dark ambient? sequencers don't care what type of music they are making - they just do what they are told!

falistri always looks over complicated and cluttered - people complain about maths being difficult to understand, which to me is utter rubbish

there's also a really good reason for buying maths over anyother similar module - the maths illustrated supplement, which is a marvelous learning resource - even if you don't buy the module read the supplement a few times - you may then end up buying the module...

as for availability of Maths - I saw Blicken Synth in UK has received 2 shipments from Make Noise in the last few days including Maths - so they should be starting to filter into other shops soon

disting is a great module - don't forget to buy an sd card though - creating a favourites list is one of the best ways of using the disting

the menu structure is actually quite shallow

most people's complaints about it are due to expectations, wanting to try everything in one go rather than using a few algorithms and getting to understand them well - other modules often do not need manuals, or not after a few sessions with them - however, as disting has 100ish algorithms, it's more like 100 modules - I would have to have all the manuals in front of me if I bought 100 modules at a time and I would be as overwhelmed as someone trying to use all 100 disting algorithms in a week - I've had one for years and 90+% of it's time has been spent as a tape delay - even now I have a magneto, it still gets used as a tape delay 50% of the time

+1 for NLC Triple Sloth V2

+1 for Ladik J-110 Derivator