delays, reverbs and utilities - make a little modulation go a long way?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

just to re-iterate - get the biggest case that you can see yourself filling over a year or 2 or 3

generally this will be at least 6u and 84hp

mostly this is as a long term money saving strategy - I know it might not seem it in the short term

generally the best bang for buck (cost/hp) is the tip top mantis - which is a great case, although some dislike the aesthetics - but not as much as I hate the rackbrute

doepfer and ladik both make very useable, inexpensive modules that are not tiny and have real knobs on them - but are generally bigger than 2hp and often cheaper than the 2 hp equivalent

the 2hp modules are great - for sticking between larger modules - if there is enough space to get to them easily - tbh I find the same issue with a lot of 4 hp modules too

just take a look at the 2hp youtube videos - they've almost always got blank panels between the modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

all good advice, multiple sequencers - so you can sequence the sequencer (ie transpose)

the simple ones are really useful

even if in the future you decide you want a more complex sequencer, you can use the simpler ones for transposing or for general CV generation

how are you currently playing/sequencing???

too many sound sources and processors and not enough utilities

for me, I'd want both a mutable instruments kinks and links, an lfo (preferably with multiple outs) and an envelope generator and attenuators/attenuverters - so probably maths or batumi and some 2hp trims, disting never hurts, an lpg and probably a filter

if you're restricted for space by the rack I'd get rid of either the rainmaker or clouds and the smr to make space

otherwise just get a bigger case

Kinks is really useful in 4 hp (there's a wave modifier, a comparator, noise and sample and hold) and so is disting (yeah it's a bit difficult to use, but it' so useful)

Marbles could add a nice degree of randomness into the mix and maybe a smaller vco (dixie 2 or something) and an lpg (lxd)

1 get a 104hp 6u rack - maybe tiptop mantis - but check with the airline that the dimensions are good to go - I know they are in the eu, but not sure elsewhere - and remember to pick up the case - it's cheap and poorly built but will get you going

2 find an actual store near where you want to go - one or all of these 3

Analogue Haven (Los Angeles, CA)
http://analoguehaven.com

Big City Music (Los Angeles, CA)
http://bigcitymusic.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_18

Boutique Pedal NYC (San Diego, CA)
http://www.boutiquepedalnyc.us/eurorack-modular/

and check what they actually have in stock - probably not a lot of time to order things in if they don;'t have them

3 some of the modules you have in the rack are not easily available anyway - so that makes things a bit easier - giekses nodrums may not be available (think he only sells from his own site, but may be wrong), snazzy dronebank - and the maths you have there is the old version - so i'd ditch all those and

4 you probably don't need both the turing machine (if you could find a built one) and permutations just get marbles!!

4 I'd really look at kinks - it's really useful in 4 hp - the same for disting - which even has a pitch follower and a tuner, both of which maybe useful

if you really want the intellijel 1u in a diy case i'd not bother with the endplates
if you want to use endplates for the 3u and possibly a row of pulp logic sized 1u then make a couple of correctly sized endplates out of some thin wood

you could try vcvrack it's free and works with es8 - or silent way (which should show up as a plugin in ableton)

bought a doepfer a-192-1 from @adrien
dispatched quickly and picked it up from post office last night - perfect, except for the reversed power header...

fixed in 2 mins, though

works perfectly

thanks

microbrute has a sequencer, but it is only 1 channel - so you can only have one sequence running at one time and the number of slots for saving is low, if it's anything like the sequencer on my minibruteSE which I think it is

also not sure how you'd trigger/synch the beats - never had a volca

I also have a BSP and for sequencing a drum machine/bass/lead it's perfect + it has loads of slots etc - much better than my minibruteSE - I use it for sequencing a modular synthesizer and triggering

• it can handle midi and cv and synch and drum triggers (so would work with everything)

another option which may be possible is to use a precision adder - but then you are into buying a rack etc - which you may not want to do at the moment - and you would be limited to a specific interval

another option is to not worry so much - get the dreadbox module and try it - you may get what you want from tuning the microbrute and the dreadbox to different intervals - you might want a guitar tuner (there are free ones for your phone)

tbh I'd do this and then get a BSP (pretty cheap used) if needed or go in a totally different direction (if you want to keep your money - run and don't look back - there's a reason they call it eurocrack!!!)

yes clouds should have enough gain to deal with line level - not tried it to be honest but if that's what the spec says then that's what the module does (it's mutable instruments!!!)

the big question though is not what audio are you going to feed into it, but what are you going to modulate it with???

clouds loves modulation - and attenuated modulation at that!!!