I would seriously suggest a slightly different approach

1 - bigger case - in the long term cheaper and less physically constraining - you do not need to fill it ever, if you don't want to
2 - get something smaller and simpler than the shapeshifter to allow you to get the modules that you actually need - this will also allow you to spend more time ;earning to use a modular then learning to use a super complex module - I'm not saying don't buy it - I'm just suggesting not yet

just get the following - it'll be a better learning experience for you I think:
a sound source - something relatively cheap and inexpensive is good - the dreadbox chromatic one for example
a sound modifier - a filter is a good - and going out to a H9 will add delay and/or reverb I think
a modulation source - modular without modulation is pointless
a way to listen - yeah you have that in the palette or whatever it is - but if you have a H9 you probably have a mixer - use that
a way to play - you basically need one of midi interface- for DAW, sequencer, midi keyboard -personally I would go for sequencer - so you can wiggle whilst a tune is playing - just get something relatively simple to start with - although clock and gate outs would be useful

on top of those some utilities are good to have - I like links and kinks from mutable instruments - a disting never hurts and you already have a quad cascading vca so keep that in there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Maths is way more than 2 LFOs/EGs - it also has a mixer/attenuverter section that is really useful and take a look at the Maths Illustrated Manual for patch ideas

Data takes up quite a bit of space in a small case - I'd go for the tiptop Mantis instead of the Rackbrute - about the same price, but more space and no annoying power input module!!!

Other than that I would add utility modules - the dull polish that makes the shiny modules shine brighter - which are a fundamental part of a modular synthesizer that most newbs forget as they don't understand how to patch yet so fill their cases with expensive modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I wouldn't put anything in the whole - I'd get the next case first - so there are no constraints on hp

But, if I wanted CV mixing in a case this size I'd be tempted to replace the doepfer LPG with a MengQi DPLG and a DC coupled quad cascading vca (so you have a voltage controlled CV Mixer)

I'd just fill the rest of the case with utilities - kinks and a small matrix mixer, or kinks, disting mk4 and a filter - possibly one that can be used as an lpg too

out of interest I use Marbles as my master clock, what do you find are the advantages of using tempi instead?

Mantis - almost always slightly better value for money ($/hp) and doesn't use a power module - so doesn't waste space!!!
I'll probably buy a second one next year - when I run out of space in my current racks
I use a guitar stand for each of my DIY 9u/104hp and they are reasonably stable - the Mantis would be more so - if you want portability this may be a good solution instead of the bracket

What do you have already?

I think you are probably alright for modulation sources - maths, pams and a triple sloth is not much less than I have in my racks at the moment - envelopes or cycling envelope (lfos) are the cornerstone of modulation - but utilities make them go so much further - in interesting ways - for example combining modulation from triple sloth and maths or pams works very well

Modular for video - love it - at least as much as the audio side

it really is a niche within a niche - I have absolutely no idea how many people there are into modular synthesis worldwide - I suspect somewhere in the 10s of thousands, maybe more, into eurorack alone I guess - but I have a reasonable idea of how many people use LZX based video systems - about 1000, maybe a few hundred more (including Vidiots - based on sales of core modules as of a year or so ago- but there is a lot of overlap - people having multiple core modules) and there are maybe a few 100 people extra who have either a the Dave Jones MVIP(?) or Erogenous Tones Structure or BPMC Fluxus 2(?) - which can all be used standalone or with LZX - there are a few other video synths that are standalone and some vintage ones (but these are very few and far between - often 10 or less were made of each)

I often post on instagram - username is the same as here - if you want to check out what I do: https://www.instagram.com/jimhowell1970

its related to the 1.6A -12v and 900mA 5v - don't ask me how exactly - but that is where the answer lies

there are simple answers to your problem - buy fewer or different modules - buy a different case - buy another case

2HP Tune Quantizer. 2HP. - why? what are you going to quantize? I see Marbles and the outputs from that are already quantized - as are those from the minibrute - don't get unless you can justify this properly (so -2)

Doepfer A-151 Quad sequential Switch. 4 HP. - brilliant module - get

Ladik B-010 Bool2 – logic module. 4 HP.
Doepfer A-118-2 Noise S&H. 4 HP. - replace these 2 with kinks (-4)

Ladik S-186 Trig/Gate Delay. 4 HP. - ok - get

After Late Audio uBurst (Clouds).8 HP. - replace this with a happy nerding FXAid (-4)

Doepfer A-135-2 Quad VCA. 8 HP. - wouldn't be my pick but you will always need more vcas - get

Michigan Synth Works uO_C. 8 HP. - what are you intending to use this for? again think long and hard - do you really need 4 channels of whatever right now ? would a 2nd disitng make more sense in the short term - before the inevitable second case!!!

I've freed 10hp for you - amounts are in brackets at end of lines -maybe more depending on the answer to the ornament and crime questions

If you desperately want clouds - a word of warning - you will probably want 4 channels of attenuators as well for the cv inputs

I would look at utility modules instead of (or as much as) more modulation sources - I've typed why in multiple answers here, on muffs and on reddit recently - use google too find out why - or find my posts - I'm either JimHowell1970 or Agawell on all eurorack centric sites (reddit/muffs/here) - but I would seriously consider getting Maths - see the illustrated manual (google it) for why

I don't really think that what you've bought is "heinously expensive" though, as that implies overpriced, but definitely not cheap - it's comparable to a decent slightly over mid priced electric guitar - and that still begs the same again (at least) on an amp and effects - and lets face it how many guitarists do yuo know with only 1 guitar and 1 amp etc?

This is due to the very nature of both the market and the manufacturers - the market is tiny so you are never going to get the economies of scale that are possible even with more mainstream musical instrument manufacturers (especially behringer) and really not compared to more mass market items

Most eurorack modules sell in the hundreds - a few sell a thousand, a very few sell multiple thousands - the Lubadh I suspect might sell a thousand, but probably not

The companies that do make them are generally small and based in the first world and most don't seem to outsource manufacture to 3rd world (although I think this is starting to happen more)

Even the economics aside - I estimate I spend at least 1000 hours a year playing with my modular (not including the amount of time I spend on the internet in relation to it) - as a hobby and I spend let's say 50€/week on my hobby (2.5K/year) - it works out at 2.50/hour - which is actually compared to a lot of other hobbies very reasonably priced indeed!!!

Expert Sleepers Little Mikey - phantom power and combination xlr/trs input - MSRP: UK £129, US $160 (exclusive of sales tax), EU €126 (exclusive of VAT)

I'm glad you appreciated my response, but really everyone else has been trying to help you too!

so don't be confused or unhappy - relax and enjoy people trying to help you - even if you have to answer a question or 2 along the way!!!

it's quite a common thing to ask questions in reply to questions, when you think the question is too broad and needs to be more focused more to give a good reply - the more information the better - "this is exactly what I have now", "this is what I want to do" , "this is the genre(s) of music I am interested in" and "this is why I want to use a modular effects rack over vsts" are all really useful bits of pertinent information for focusing a reply

I can see why you might take exception to - what are you intending to use for modulation?, but really it's just the same as you need some modulation, think about it and come back - this is the internet - it's never (fingers-crossed) going to be the most polite place in the world - but it can be one of the most efficient (and for that matter one of the least efficient) ways of getting information there is

tbh - the first line of my reply is actually meant to do a similar thing - make you think - is this really for me? in that a lot of people think that building a cool modular effects rack will be a cheaper way into modular synthesis - when really it's not - or that it's a way to get great effects - which maybe it is, but only if you understand the fundamentals of modular synthesis and realise that if you take out the instrument interface and replace it with a vco - you have a modular synthesizer

the rest of the reply I gave was pretty much the reply I always give - because mostly that's what's missing from generic starter racks - utility and modulation - and those are good modules that I have had since I started and that I use constantly 3 years later - and I spent at least 18 months - 2 years researching before I bought a single module

but it only gives you what and not why - answering the questions is a better route to gaining that knowledge - or replying to my response asking why you need modulation and utilities, for example, rather than just blindly buying whatever modules someone on the internet says you should!!!

Yeah - you do indeed have to start somewhere

you know I think those cases (anything under 6u /84hp to be honest) should come with a warning - "buyer beware not suitable for a starter case, unless you want to buy another one in a few months" - imo great for a dedicated and focused single purpose once you know what you are doing - ie to house a few controllers or a mixer or whatever

but anyway good luck and once again enjoy

Link works - thanks
There's quite a bit of duplication there

I would either get Marbles or Turing Machine/Clock Divider/Wobblebug/Quantizer - why? because Marbles does all these things - the only exception being processing audio - but you can use the random from Marbles to modulate the audio source instead - or if you desperately want to explore randomizing audio then get a wobblebug as well, later - so I'd get Marbles

I like to use a combination of Kinks, Links and Branches as utilties to expand Marbles (If you get one - get Kinks - you can get 7 related modulation outputs from a single source, with some self patching and stackcables) so I would get those next

I'd also add a Disting mk4 - as it's a great learning module, will show you the way to further modules, and will always be there to fill in when needed

I'd get a quad cascading vca instead of the matrix mixer (I'd get a matrix mixer too they are great - but in the future) - you may find very quickly you want a second one of these as they are so useful, for cv as well as audio - my pick here is Veils - it's simple to use and has a lot of gain available if needed

Then I would get Rings and Warps (and probably at least try parasites firmware on warps)

Then I would stop and see what else I needed - maybe follow disting - maybe a wogglebug NB if you want to use this for processing audio - you can't send the audio output through a quantizer to get it in tune (that's not how quantizers work) - it will just be what it is

Generative music normally requires a lot of plumbing (utility modules) and modulation - so you will probably want more of these - sequential switches, mixers, function generators, lfos, evelopes, lpgs, etc etc - for slowly evolving chaotic modulation the nlc triple sloth is hard to beat

As for cases - get a bigger one than you think you need - the tiptop Mantis is a great size and is usually the most economical case ($/hp) at the moment - behringer may change this with their larger case which is due soon, but the power may not be so good

Cool man - have fun - which case did you order?

no that's a jpeg - you need to copy and paste the url

NP
If you decide to go for a bigger case in the future - then also take a look at the schlappi engineering modules - I think you will like them

I understand

As I said it will make noise - which is what you want

I would check the depth of the 2hp mixer it may be too deep for the case (allow a bit for the power ribbon)

tbh I'd probably want this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-waver instead of the 2hp mixer - which I think would leave you with 2 hp free still - maybe a multiple

And then I'd just play and see what else I needed down the line, if anything

BUT just reviewing I noticed you asked if you should add another filter - and to be honest I don't see one

I see a clock module, a rhythm generator, a percussion voice, a noise voice (I'm guessing that you are seeing this as a filter) and a mixer

I quickly read through the specs of the shard on modulargrid and it's mostly a highly modulatable vco and recommends running it through both a resonant filter and clouds, but it can be used to process sound

So I would also look to replace both the clock and the numeric repetitor with Pam's New Workout - which will give you a clock and 8 channels of triggers/envelopes (so modulation as well as percussive triggers)

This would free up a further 6hp for a filter - if you can squeeze the 2hp LPF into the case (see point above) you would then be able to cram in a happy nerding fxAid - which will give you access to about 100 effects - some of which I am sure will work well with what you are going for - possibly including granular processing

Congratulations on getting started!
Availability of modules is also an influence of what modules actually get in your case
Take it slowly and have fun!!!

I'd want modulation and utilities - you may not think you want them now - but you probably will find you need them down the line - maybe go and do some research! this is where modular shines in my opinion

On top of that I would look at the size of the case and abandon it if you have not already bought it - get a bigger one - TipTop Mantis is generally best bang for buck, but the large behringer may change that when it appears - if portability is a factor, then the mantis is probably better - the new case looks significantly better than the original

However, saying that, what you have already selected looks like it would generate some harsh noise, to me

Personally I would not buy or recommend Mutable Instruments clones - unless they are discontinued, or are something like supercell - which is expanded - or I was going to build them myself
Why?
1. you have the space in a 104hp/6u case for full size ones
2. the originals are designed with ergonomics in mind - ie they are nice to play with - a lot of the clones - are not they are designed to fit in as small a space as possible
3. and most importantly - Emilie does not get paid for clones - you want more exceptional MI modules - buy the originals - the money goes to the original designer - buy a clone - the money does not - also MI support for MI modules is great - for clones non-existant

yeah you might save a few $/€/£ (and a few hp - but it's the same really), but in the long run is it really worth it?

you lost me at jpeg - post a link (zoom and mouse-over are really useful) especially as there are thousands of modules out there

It's always a good idea to understand that a "modular fx rig" is a modular synthesizer minus it's in rack sound source

I would look at more utility modules - the plumbing - the (relatively inexpensive) dull polish that lets the shiny modules shine brighter - I personally don't count Maths as a utility module - although it can be used as such - because it is so powerful

I always recommend Mutable Instruments Links, Kinks and Veils as a good starter set for this in a relatively small space

Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 would also be a very useful module - as would Ornament and Crime (both are swiss army knife modules)

A matrix mixer and sequential switch may also be useful

I would look at ornament and crime - the source code is available on github and some of the existing functions are similar/ partially what you want so creating a new one should not be that difficult - and it will do exactly what you want it to

did you find the illustrated manual? it does way more than you think depending on how you patch it

and how do you patch the fx aid in to the LHS?

mix out to fx aid?

I go directly to a smallish Yamaha mixer - clouds is on the send but sent back to a stereo in for a bit of feedback

I'm not sure how you intend to patch these
in both cases what you are patching in to them would make a huge difference
also how you intend to patch out on the left hand version - the rhs is obvious
and how you intend to patch internally on both of them
they really just look like some modules thrown together without much thought behind how they would be used

You also can sleep better at night because of possible DC signal on your output will be filtered away if you use a proper audio interface module; though your mixer might take care of that too, but as I said, I sleep much better at night knowing I don't need to worry about all that because I am using an audio interface module. Up to you of course but you can't say you haven't been warned :-)

-- GarfieldModular

Almost all interfaces are AC-coupled - which will filter out any low frequency DC signals
If your interface is DC coupled, then rejoice - you can use it for CV too (Expert Sleepers and RME for example)

Yes modular levels are much higher than line level, but almost all mixers/audio interfaces can cope with this - either through turning their gain down - or by attenuating on the way out - which is a lot of what most output modules do - they may also alter the impedance and "balance" the signal - but these are unnecessary

In my experience (I don't have an output module) sending straight from modules to a mixer is fine - sometimes you get a bit of unwanted clipping - just turn the signal down a bit before hitting the mixer (I use a small old yamaha one at the moment)

For me the only reasons to get an output module of any sort would be either I need headphone out directly from the modular (I have a rebel technology mix02 for this, when I need it) or because I was playing out a lot - in which case balanced outs would make sense - for longer cable runs to FOH mixer

I was just guessing, but yes that was my idea

I would buy the case, Maths, Disting, Veils, one of the vcos (BIA or Plaits) and one of the effects units and start with that - I'd also add MI Links and Kinks (as a superb utility starter set - you need more utilities) - and learn those modules well (including a few from Disting)
that may leave you with some cash in your pocket for future purchases once you actually have played with a modular, and then go slow - it's not a race - when you are ready for another module - add one or 2 modules at a time*, learn how to integrate them with your existing modules and repeat

*some modules benefit from extra utilities to get the most out of them - clouds needs attenuators, for instance, so sometimes a couple of modules are a better purchase than just one

104hp is not a must - it may work out better value ($/hp) and stave off buying another case by a few months in the future, though

Personally I always recommend 6u 104hp as a good starter size

This will also allow you to buy an actual MI Rings - so the person who created it actually gets paid!

And I would go for an MI Marbles over a Turing Machine

Otherwise, just get your minimum viable synth (4 or 5 modules) and then go slowly, ignoring what you think you want now, for what you actually need once you've started patching - more utilities probably

Now you have an SD card - check out favourites - this allows you to group some algorithms together so that you can switch between them easily - and it makes it more likely that you will learn these, so not be so frustrated at having to use a manual / look up table most of the time

The menu is not particularly difficult to navigate, nor is it particularly complex, it's just big and lots of simple - too much to hold in your head at once - so don't try

Just remember that input 1 modulates the same param as the knob, input 2 is the main input other than that unless it's stereo input algo 3 is cv and that the bottom 2 are outputs and concentrate on your favourites, you'll remember them in a couple of weeks and then only need the manual if you need something out of the ordinary - Buchla conversion for example

Price in euros?

I agree with garfield get a bigger case - 6u / 104hp is a great starter size (and mantis is one of the best $/hp in eurorack)

I think I'd want a better mic input - Little Mikey is the only one I know of - but it will be a better bet than microphonie - at least you get the choice as to how bad it is depending on mic, placement etc as opposed to being forced down a particular route - plus phantom power should you need it

Another option would be Ears - which is an updated microphonie - which adds an envelope follower, which is quite useful
or a doepfer A119, this will take a dynamic mic, and it probably will distort, but it does have an envelope follower and a gate extractor

If I went for Little Mikey, I'd want to add an envelope follower (disting has one and a pitch follower)

Your output from clouds for example to a mixer will definitely work

With an original clouds (and a lot of clones) you will want attenuators for cv inputs

If it was me trying to do this I would go for the Little Mikey, Disting mk4 (envelope follower), Maths (or Rampage, I prefer Maths - google illustrated manual), MI Kinks and possibly a used Phonogene or a supercell, and add a filter - ripples is nice - I'd also want to look at sampler modules and how to trigger them whilst playing the piano - create a loop, process it and then re route the piano in so that you can process that differently (in the future perhaps)

And leave the rest of the case empty - it will fill up at some point in the future, probably just before it's time to buy another one!!!

ie get a few things that will allow you to do what you want to do - process your piano - and then slowly and organically grow from there, instead of planning all sorts of stuff

Yes Maths and veils first is a good start - then seriously take a look at links and kinks as the next 2 modules!
Veils will work perfectly for that application and for that matter the opposite (getting non-modular up to modular levels, as it has up to +20db gain)
It is unlikely that you will fry anything - most modules have input limiters which will clip the signal, to the range they specify, but will not fry at full modular levels, this generally applies to almost anything that you can stick a signal into - mixers and audio interfaces - you don't want that for these
But isn't that half the attraction of modular, that you can have a selection of whatever and mix and match?
Plaits has an lpg emulation, so the filter and vca are tied, you may not want this and want to just filter instead of use a vca, or the opposite, or have more control on the relationship between the filter and the vca (swap which is first, use different envelopes for the vca and the filter, etc)

Personally I'd choose the mantis over the rackbrute for a few reasons - I don't like it aesthetically and it uses a power input module that reduces the amount of hp available immediately, the mantis is also efffectively 33hp bigger (power is 5hp)
However, as you are a minibrute owner, I can also see the appeal of it... and it can be connected to the minibrute and there's a bag
that fits both together and it's a bit cheaper
As for modules - to start with I would concentrate on modulation and utility as that will add most to the minibrute
So I'd either go for maths (or Pams) and a quad cascading vca (the intellijel that you mentioned, but also look at veils)
I'd also get mutable links and kinks as they are such a great utility started package
Then and only then would I consider adding an extra voice - plaits is a pretty decent choice - especially as you could use the model selection cv input to sequence the model - so you can hit it quite fast and change the percussion instrument between hits
Then I think I'd be tempted to grab an analog filter, probably a multi-mode one, and whichever of Pams or Maths I didn't get earlier
And a disting!!! - it's just so handy to have, really, really useful
And then some basic utilities - sequential switch, clock divider, maybe a matrix mixer
But go slowly and have fun

If it was me and based upon what you've said and that you've already ordered it I would keep the PM
I'd probably get one of the voice modules next along with an envelope generator (pams will work well for this) and something like an SQ-1 (yeah yeah I know external, but small and quite cheap) - treat this as a stopgap until you decide what you really want to use for sequencing
After that I'd want one of the fx modules and a quad cascading vca (for modulation purposes mainly) and some basic utilties (at the very least a kinks - for the price and size it is really worth it)
I would then play this for quite a while and try to grow organically - ie I need a XXX module
Regarding the Bitbox - only you can decide, but a possible solution is to get more stop gap modules - I find I want as a minimum for percussion about 4-5 'voices' - kick, snare, open and closed hats and one other thing for accents or whatever - I find using plaits for primarily hi hats, as I was for a while a bit of a waste, personally - but it does sound great!
The polyend module I would leave for a long while in the future - I'd work out how to use the other modules first and only add this if/when you feel it's necessary

I missed that the 6->2 mixer was a 2hp model already
I think my advice about disting still stands - you are correct about it saving the last setting, using the favourites feature greatly improves the usability too - but it's better I think to use the disting to guide you on what modules you should buy, very very occaisionally that might be an actual disting!! - but always keep at least 1 in the rack for emergencies
I think it would be very very frustrating playing back midi files from a disting - no interaction - turing machine might work though!
EDIT - I actually just looked at the info for the PolendPreset and it would appear that it may be usable as a CV sequencer too - which would cover you for that - but it looks really complicated to me! good luck with that!
I'd also consider mixing outside the box as slumberjack suggests, it would free up quite a lot of rack space, or you could just add an extra case when you need it, I really like the performance mixer and I want one (maybe this year), but it is a bit big for this size case

Go slowly... it is not a race

personally instead of 6 distings, I'd get one and play with it a while - it's a great module but a lot of people don't like it as it has (some) menu diving

I think you have a poor ratio of utility modules to 'feature' modules - but if you go slowly you can work that out

I'd go for a cheaper smaller mixer than the 6->2 mixer for that purpose

you almost definitely need more vcas (the ones on the WMD PM are great for your audio, but what about modulation??) - I'd get something like a veils or intellijel quad cascading vca (and replace 3 distings with it)

how are you going to sequence the bassline etc w v/oct?

Thread: Chords

As has been stated you can use modules that generate chords, but this is actually fraught with frustrations - ie it's a real pain in the ass to keep everything in key
or you could use a multi-channel precision adder (or 2) to transpose
or you can use a sequencer with a lot of channels - where you have to program every note in etc
or you can get a sinfonian - the uber-quantizer/chord progression sequencer

personally after considering all the choices - I'm going to go for a Sinfonian

the other issue of this and most of the other options is how to actually play the chord - there are only a few polyphonic modules - I'm going to go with an Expert Sleepers General CV (and midi expander) and send chords to both the general midi and to some va keyboards and a stage piano that I have

Muffs seems to be down again - I suspect teething troubles with the new server software

So maybe, with a little patience and you'll be able to find the original link easily

when I click on the link I get a different rack!!!

noob mistakes abound

these small cases are very expensive for each HP - get something 6u/104hp - a mantis for example (really good value) and space to grow into - without this you will just buy another case within a couple of months - or at least want to!!

and then go slowly - minimum viable synth - a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source (missing) and something to play it with and something to enable you to listen to it - add a disting mk4 - just so you can learn what different modules can do - if you constantly use the same algo, then buy that module and use disting for something else

and buy a quad cascading vca (veils or intellijel, for example) you will not regret it ever

after that only buy a module once you have learnt each module well and the rack as a whole well

BUT my advice is if you think that this is what you want from modular - get a mom32 or crave or something similar instead

there's no plumbing

by that I mean there's not enough utilities for half the modules there, let alone for the 23 modules that are there - matrix mixers/sequential switches/vcas/unity mixers/mults/lpgs/attenuators/attenuverters etc etc etc

they'll be much more useful in terms of getting the rack to gel as an instrument than adding an extra sequencer - and way cheaper too!

maybe show us what you've actually got...

I've not read the manual nor do I own it, but I suspect it works similarly to rings - pluck and/or change note quickly and the last 4 notes will overlap - giving you 4 notes playing at once - 4 note-polyphony

No probs

btw I think that befaco updated the instrument interface quite recently so maybe they fixed the issues, i don't know

good luck with the hunt for a batumi-alike diy module!!!

perhaps the befaco instrument interface?

not seen any diy modules like batumi to be honest

maybe this: https://pushermanproductions.com/product/void-modular-dual-adsr-12hp-pcb-black-gold-aluminium-panel/ for the adsr???

yeah to a large extent it is access to knobs - in the case of the veils it's a cascading quad vca - so in a lot of cases I use it as effectively a mixer that has vca on the inputs

but I was really being more generic (ie not just about vcas) - it seems a lot of people want to get more and more, smaller and smaller modules into the same space - I don't find small dense modules fun to use - and the few 2 hp modules that I have with knobs are always sandwiched between 2 larger modules with space around the edges near the knobs on the small modules, I even do the same with disting, as I find the knobs are difficult to get to with a lot of jacks/knobs around it

NP about links and kinks

re: "veils is quite big for a quad"

saving space is not everything - playability is also inportant - I find larger modules easier to play

• most vcas are not actually voltage controlled amplifiers, but voltage controlled attenuators - veils is an amplifier - has up to +20dB available - which can be useful

I find myself writing a lot of replies to beginner threads too - mainly on Muffs and Reddit

Most beginners do not even appear capable of reading a post 3 down from the top which has 90% of the answers they need

Most of the issues are about cramming too much functionality in a small rack with little or no utility

or trying to save money with an effects only rack to start with hehehe

In terms of a manual - a quick start - "read this before wasting your money" guide - with links to more in depth coverage may also work

as for how to describe cv I'd go even further back and talk about pressing a key on a keyboard (gate and v/oct) and twiddling a knob, then how that relates to both midi and cv

and I'd add a list of things to list when posting beginners questions - what other gear they have, mixers, outboard, computer, audio interface, other instruments etc etc what sort of music they hope to make etc etc

I'd get a bigger case

also I'd want full size versions of the MI modules (I have them and they are nice to use - I can imagine anything smaller being a bit fiddly

if's definitely possible you would want more vcas (get a quad cascading one - veils or intellijel are good starter vcas) and attenuators (clouds or derivitive can easily take up 4 on it's own)

focus more on effects/modulation sources and utilities (especially as you already have so many voices outside the rack)

there seems to me to be some overlap between things (do you really need midi in and marbles??) and a few things I'd want missing (mostly utiltities)

I'd also try to work out how you'd use it and in conjunction with your existing semis before buying anything

and when you do buy - only get as little as you can - ie a minimum viable synth - learn it well and then add modules sparingly, learning each modules ins and outs before you get another

NB disting is one of those modules that either you hate (it's too complicated because it has a menu) or find indispensable - only you can tell