instead of chasing functionality of different sequencers - have you considered combining the sequencers you have into a complex sequencer?
-- JimHowell1970

Yes I have. I Often combine two sequencers driven by clocks with different speed. A long standing plan is building a smallish case around 3 Penta sequencers. While a Penta with 5 steps at max hardly seems enough to be called a sequencer, combining two will give you complex sequences without much effort. Maybe that's why I'm not in a rush to get a complicated can-do-all machine. These seem to defy the reason and purpose of going modular in the first place.

Odio has 1 in/out pair, each. That would serve the phone to work either as a sound source or fx processor or a recorder. Pick one.
Where is the USB from the Odio going? Where does the MPC come in? How do you work with the MIDI clock coming from the MPC? How do you actually use the modulation from the MPC in your rack? Where is it all being mixed/coming together, where recorded?
You have multiple sound sources but without the necessary utilities and plumbing it's going to be a disparate collection of gear rather than a workable instrument, as it appears to me.

How do you interface your phone and MPC with the modular?

This is workable except for the mixer. The docs say: "Module A-138p is the 4-fold input module, A-138o is the output module that can be combined with one or more A-138p." You are lacking the necessary output module.
You could replace A-138p with an FBP 6 ch mixer. 6 inputs, stereo out, head phone amp, and an fx send to, too. Plus a cue function for pre-listening.
-- wiggler55550

Thank you, Wiggler55550!! You really saved me a bunch of heartache. I'm scanning around for alternatives now (I couldn't find the FPB unit for sale anywhere).

-- Lusiad

You may ask here: http://fpb-synths.de/kontakt

This is workable except for the mixer. The docs say: "Module A-138p is the 4-fold input module, A-138o is the output module that can be combined with one or more A-138p." You are lacking the necessary output module.
You could replace A-138p with an FBP 6 ch mixer. 6 inputs, stereo out, head phone amp, and an fx send to, too. Plus a cue function for pre-listening.

Hi there. There ist one thing that keeps disturbing me - the abundance of demo videos that tell you close to nothing about the module being demonstrated.

Scenario 1: "Demo Video": A module is being demonstrated but you cannot tell what it really does because the patch is so sonically dense or complicated you have no idea what said module is contributing. The module is not being switched in/out of the patch to give you an idea either.

Scenario 2: Modules of the same type are being compared, such as filters, delays, reverbs etc. That's a great idea as such; ideally all the modules you are listening to are in exactly the same situation, being fed the exact same input, sequence of notes, CV etc. In reality this is a rare exception, rendering the comparison close to useless.

Scenario 3: Inappropriate test signals. Have you ever listened to a demo of a reverb or echo trail being added to a sustained and possibly complex signal? That tells you nothing about the quality of the reverb tail because you have no chance of listening to it by itself. A short white noise burst would do the job. Likewise, a neutral sustained white noise input would reveal the character of a filter quite easily, in one fell sweep, if I may say so. I do not remember a single demo taking advantage of that fact.

Am I a cantankerous ill-tempered humorless wannabe wiggler who is all wrong?
Quite possible. Just saying. What's your experience? Discuss.

Never knew a boolean operation having a result of '404'. Live and learn.

Thread: AE Modular?

Bit of an update. Let's see if the forum likes it...hmmmm....linking from outside oughta work liiiiiike...
alt text
Did it work? > -- Lugia

No. Syntax error for the link, moreover link doesn't work if you are not signed in to the AE forum.

i like to slowly modulate the pitch cv inputs of both osc to generate new modulations from the rungler with pam or a sequencer
-- holografik

After all I'm not the only Benjolin user in Eurorack!
Anyone else?

Anyone can create and change module entries. Only the manufacturer can lock ("approved") and thereafter edit modules.

Thread: New try

You left some space - good idea!
What's the Tuner for?
Where are the cv generators to drive your generative patches?

Thread: Marketplace

Are sellers notified via e-mail when they are contacted about a module they are selling?
-- jdelorean

yes

Excellent experience with @uebl here. Very friendly and forthcoming guy and a breeze to deal with!

Otherwise... how would we all be able to use modular synths if nobody can listen to it because a DC signal might destroy our speakers... it's somehow a bit confusing to me to be honest...
-- GarfieldModular

As Lugia said, using a transformer coupled output module is a safe and professional way to avoid DC problems in studios and going into a P.A. system (if a bit costly). In real life all mixers I have used, even cheap ones, remove DC from their outputs. If things sound gnarly out of your speakers when they shouldn't you probably have DC in your signal going into the mixer (or other monitoring device). A scope will help you see that.

You make me a bit worried about your warning about passing DC to my speakers that they will get wrecked, how bad is that?

Bad as in permanently kaputt.

Since I am a bit technical guy, I actually don’t understand the concern of DC signals? DC signal is, at least theoretically, nothing more than just the positive half of an AC signal :-) For which part of the loudspeakers would it be the killer? The subwoofers or the tweeters?

You might kill your woofer first. Due experimenting may proove me wrong though ;-)
Problem with DC on any audio signal chain is that it does not alternate and thus cannot be heard. More specifically it takes away from your headroom/dynamics usable for audio and puts useless stress on your speakers. That is why P.A. power amps usually have steep hi-pass filtering to void any DC in their output. (More smoking details on speaker death by DC on demand.)

-- GarfieldModular

Thread: The Explorer

Hi TheDirtyLow, what are you expecting to get from the modular that your other gear cannot do? The Squaver has a row's worth of functionality to begin with...

Couldn't make it this time so I'm interested what you guys have seen. Do tell!

Hhm, seemingly we are coming from different experiences. How many used modules did you buy and how many were broken? I actually bought a new Doepfer module from a well known and respected dealer. A few days after when I unpacked it I found a popped capacitor and burn marks on the PCB. When I returned for a replacement they assumed I had destroyed it myself and denied me compensation. This happened to me 3 month into going modular. This may be a rare case, in my experience as rare as module seller intending to cheat you.

Your best friend is Youtube.
-- Ronin1973

I second.

Do not buy anything used from individuals.
-- Ronin1973

In most cases a broken module wasn't the problem, my limited understanding was.
My first two rows of 84hp were all second hand and they were perfect to start out with. Stll use most of them.

There's a new complex VCO ... has everything you'd expect out of the DPO, etc, ...
-- Lugia

Umm, been considering a WC style osc for quite a while but the usual suspects have a hefty price tag. Anyone have a pointer to some audio/video for this one?

Leaving 1hp left and right does help with those narrow modules. I figure with bigger knobs you will def need extra space...

I'm also looking at VCA/Mixers and I'm down to these:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/zlob-vnicursal-vca
-- chuckleone

If you can handle the small knobs --- the Złob is treating me well.
Lots of vca in a small package.

Failing a Launch Codes (LC) with more than 32 steps you could try modulating the clock that drives LC with a switch and logic. Not what you asked for but worth trying anyway.

Did you think about shifting the clock into LC instead?

Go to Modules
Find the module in question
Edit the module (upper left corner)
Make changes as necessary
Save

Note: Once the module has the green "manufacturer approved" seal,
regular users can no longer make changes.

Hi Kari, which 4op synth exactly are you looking to emulate/improve on?

Got to say the praise for @RTFM. Had several NLC modules built from him. Excellent build quality, several build options to choose from, even better customer support, both pre and post purchase. Close comms, speedy delivery (usually with a little extra in the box) and flawless quality make me come back for more. Thank you :-))

I would go with a couple of simple sequencers first. If they have the option to be reset/synced, they'll fold nicely into a more complex set-up.
-- Ronin1973

Absolutely. Two or three of these simplistic devices coupled with a clock divider, precision adder and a quantizer will generate complex sequences like you never dreamt. Spending a couple dozen hours with those will give you a much more educated idea of what to look for in the big iron.

This looks like what I would expect, actually. How did you manage to get higher dpi resolution?

Copy the image URL to the clipboard.
In the reply, use Image/Inline or Link.
See Markdown Syntax on how to use these.

... But same result and the resolution is way lower than what I got before.
...> -- pnussbaum

Can you post the screenshot here for reference?

Hi Pascal! Try this:
Go to menu My Modular/Command Center/
Click your rack to snapshot
Go to menu Show/Screenshot
Screenshot will be displayed in browser window.
Right click and download to process as needed.

Don't ask. I don't even have money left for a proper avatar.

Looks tasty. Though, with that little space you'd be better off loosing the (great) Akemie's for a couple more narrow osc/vcf and utilities. Doing that would give you a more useful rack, IMHO.

Hi Benjolin users!

We know the Benjolin is pretty much a instrument by itself, very capable of generating streams of amazing events with little tweaking effort. Lately though I have been experimenting with combining the Benjolin with other modules, with Benjolin as the center of generative patches.

How do you use the Benjolin? Which other modules do you surround it with?
Please discuss!

Thanks for that round-up, some exciting stuff there that would have passed me by.

-- Dom78

Likewise :-)

2hp EG times two comes to mind. Add to that LFO, Mix, VCA as needed. All of that in half the rack space of a single Maths.

>

I would like to use something like the TipTop Zeus Access (http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/Tiptop_Audio_zeusxs.pdf) (with modification) to plug the 15v Cincon-TTA laptop-style universal power supply into

-- Mlilley

I have been using a uZeus with a 15v Toshiba laptop brick for over a year now. All I did was replacing the original straight (and wrong diameter) barrel connector with a 2.1 mm one fitting the uZeus (and is angled so does not stick out and strains the jack). Works like a charm.

Looking good to me. Are these busses passive wires or are they buffered on both ends? Any plans fo additional feats such as amped audio input , headphone out, or line outs?

How would have you done it?

In case they don't consider it an opportunity to get more ambidextrous ;-)

Check out Zadar by ...
-- cg_funk

...the fact that it doesent go to negative voltages...
-- Tomes

...is not a problem at all once you have a CV 'conditioner' or mixing attenuverter/polarizer such as 321, SISM or, on a tight budget, M-120. They can scale and shift your CV where you need it. Combined with any old standard ADSR, LFO, ... , it will multiply their uses.

Even if you are not going to try anything potentially harmfull -- there is always the multi-meter to give some insight.

Feel free to use the [Message the Manufacturer] function to correct that.

• What are you expecting to hear from it?
  • What other equipment will it need to integrate with?

At least you can buy a MN 6+1Ux104 case with the CV Bus in it. Saves you selling all those modules at a loss you didn't mean to get in the first place. That's possibly a worthwhile option if you plan to use the René sequencer that is not working properly with many non-MN PSUs.

Umm -- reminds me of times when I dumped samples from my S612 to my Atari ST via mid cable. Those mini Akai disks were just too expensive and the drive was a ridiculously large 19" unit. That one was 12 bit and gave your samples a noisy decay but good fun nevertheless. All the more for its analog velocity sensitive filter. Used to play my own percussuion samples with it by way of a first gen Octapad that had terribly laggy midi processing and made you play behind the beat. Those were the days.

You do know that René requires a PSU with fixed ground (not floating) for its touch plates to work properly?

Not qualified to tell if its really 12-tone but I can say it sounds sweet to me.