Hi Wishbonebrewery,

That sounds like a very nice DIY case project, luckily you tested that red on a bit of scrap MDF first :-)

I am a bit jealous that you got such a nice and good neighbour ;-)

Enjoy your case and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hello Mezlamezla,

Welcome to modulargrid.net and to modular synthesizers!

I like the size of your case, not too small, finally a beginner with a bigger case :-) Very good, keep it at this size (or consider even one more 84 HP row, you will see, you need the space in the (near) future).

My next advice is to keep, if possible, even a slightly bit more space free for future use, you have kept one row free, very good, when you start with this rack, don't buy everything in one go though, start with the more easy and simple/standard modules/functions and then consider the more complex and larger modules. So, if possible try to keep two rows free to start with.

Ditch that large Lifeforms module and the Koma, I am sure they are fantastic modules but look at their sizes! 48 HP + 36 HP = 84 HP, that's one entire row of your rack, or 25% of your entire rack space capacity...

Now we have space :-) I see you got a Plaits there, that's good, many people (including myself) are very happy with that one however consider a second oscillator to come into play. Be it an STO of Make Noise, or a Dixie - II+ from Intellijel or any thing that you would like and kind of makes sense.

I also see from Make Noise the Maths & Contour modules, both good modules. I am myself still not sure about the Maths if that was a good investment, yes it's a good module but for that kind of money, for the size of it? Am I sure? No... to be honest. But if you must have a Maths (because nearly everybody got one ;-) ) then perhaps consider the Contour to exchange against a more classical ADSR to get yourself easier started within modular? I can recommend the Doepfer - A-140-1, a standard plain ADSR that does what it needs to do, nothing fancy but good to start with and to understand an envelope in a bit easier way. But up to you, if you are happy with those envelopes Match (that's more than just a simple envelope, I know) and the Contour then go for it. My advice is, that it can't harm to take two envelopes from different brands to see a bit the differences and the (other) possibilities that the market has to offer.

The Make Noise Morphagene and Mimeophon are nice modules, I am pretty sure about that, but to start with those modules, are you sure? Perhaps if you like them so much that you start with one first (the most favourite one) and you leave the other one out first, once you build up experience with your rack then (re-)consider of taking the second module? These are quite complex modules and as a beginner to start with complex modules, I am not too sure if that's the right approach? :-) But if you are as nuts as I am and you like complex stuff, then go for one of them to start with; but you can't say I haven't warned you!

I would consider one more filter, the Doepfer Wasp filter is a nice one so you can keep that one in your rack but consider another additional filter, like a multimode filter for example. The Wasp filter is a nice one but a bit weird one too, so putting a multimode filter next to it that might give you just a bit more filter possibilities that you might need.

This Pamela's New Workout seems to be a great clock module, many people here in the forum have it and are (very) happy with it. I don't have it but I think it's good to keep it in here, you can't do much wrong with that.

I do miss some LFOs though, consider to take two LFOs or if you like to take it easy, start with one first but you will see that sooner or later you need more LFOs. If you want a simple, plain but (very) good LFO, start with the Doepfer - A-145-1. It's simple straight forward with this LFO but that's actually the beauty of this module, it's so sublime because of being so straight forward. I use it in almost every patch.

I don't see an audio (input/) output interface either? It's not per se a must but advisable to consider it. The Intellijel - Audio I/O is a nice one otherwise consider the Befaco - Out v3. And before you put everything to an output module, you need to send it through a mixer first. I don't think I saw a mixer in your rack? So consider that too.

The rest of the modules up to you, check for each module if you really need them to start with? Instead of starting with so many "fancy" modules consider to add rather a nice effects module to give your sound a nice final touch before you send it to your external mixer unless you have external effects then of course you can use those.

Well that's it for the moment. Do some more homework, if I may advise so. Lots of reading and checking is required for modular synthesizers. Don't think you can learn this over one night, this takes ages of preparations, reading, learning and understanding. How you take my above info is up to you, you have to make the final decisions. There is with modular synthesizer actually no real wrong or no real good, at the end it's up to you how you fill up your rack (but do it slowly, step by step and build up experience with each step and re-adjust your opinion about modules and the entire concept). I am just trying to avoid here for you a disappointment because that would be pity, it's too expensive for that. But once you found your way into modular synthesizers, there is no way back and you only want to be more intensively busy with it :-)

Good luck, have fun and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Sequencing and Quantization: bloom and turing machine + scales and pams = overkill for the number of voices you have, if you ask me - get a few buffered mults, tune vcos to intervals, use sample and hold, use divided clocks for triggers etc etc and get rid of at least the tm

Why the field kit? - and it's a big module...

the quad vca - i don't think you'll get on with this one - or at least I wouldn't - it is a quad vca, but there is only one set of controls - great for playing chords, but not what I'd want as a first quad vca - get the a-135-2 instead if you want 8hp and doepfer - I prefer veils - especially for beginners it's a really useful and simple quad cascading vca - lots of gain for external inputs (unlike most vcas - which are really attenuators) and overdrives quite nicely - but is more expensive and bigger!

I'd want more utilities - especially for multing, mixing and modifying modulation - probably some more submixers for audio too, possibly a panning mixer so that you can take your mono sources and pan them to stereo - so that you can process them with the mimeophon and morphagene

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thread: First Rack

Or slight variation ?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1290383.jpg

Thanks mate ... I know it’s vague but initially I want something that will give me interesting rhythmic/percussive grooves with a bit of random thrown in. Not really looking for traditional drum sounds or samplers at this point. As a novice, I’m not sure what I’d include if I freed up space by say slimming down from the Pam. I’ve watched so much on YouTube now and read a bunch of reviews but any thoughts on what be cool to include would be much appreciated.

Should say that I’ve inherited the case and 1U tiles so I’ve just left as is for now focussing just on the 3U modules. Did think about putting an Intellijel Quadratt in there but then I’d need to lose the noise tools and the headphone socket (which I guess I could).

Do you need a headphone out and a mixer with outs? Area you could save some hp real estate. There are also smaller mixers or even the Disting MK4 that can be used. Pam's is great but do you need all it offers in clocking? You may be able to use 4ms or another smaller unit to do clocking. What specifically are you shooting for with the rig?

Please be gentle ... I’m sure I’ll have missed something that I need, included something I don’t need or that won’t work or probably both ... planning to build this in an Intellijel 62HP Palette

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1290103.jpg

Thanks

Arduino clone of intellijel, with repeat / stop step function.
Totally DIY. Doesn't exist as a project you can buy. You have to figure it yourself.
I'm working myself on it too:

The same project detailed on GitHub:
https://github.com/tomarus/diymetro

Another great video, the principle of functioning explained.
Start here to build from scratch:

ModularGrid Rack

A beginner is looking for some advice.... I'm aiming to build a rack for ambient-like sounds, experimental, organic, (Kaitlyn Arielia Smith, Arp, Ann Annie,...) In addition to that I have a Aturia Mikrofreak.
I'm quite unsure about the sequencing and quantization abilieties and. Would be nice hear some advices. And sure this will be a growing thing... Thank you so much in advance!

Thank you Jim!

taking into account effects from mixer - there is too much space taken by sound sources and ways to play

atlantis is huge, utsa is huge

unless these are both must haves - consider dropping one or both - definitely consider keeping only one of utsa and fh-1

modulation is ok for this size case (Maths and pams) but more utilities needed to leverage them into enough for all modules

do you really need steppy? (pams can do a lot)

the MMF is tiny and may be difficult to get to especially if you have medium sized or above fingers

Blinds - are you sure you want a vca that doesn't fully close - it's difficult to dial in exactly 0 - as a starter I would recommend a simpler quad cascading vca - such as Veils (if you desperately want a ring mod - get a small one after freeing some space)

Do you really need 2 * row power - iirc the 40 should be able to power 2 rows - or get a better power solution

Utility modules are the inexpensive dull polish that make the expensive shiny modules, actually shine and stops them from tarnishing - switches, attenuators, mixers, mults, offsets, etc etc

and yes I can hear you going - but I've got Maths and Shades for that!! Treat Maths as Maths it is a complex modulation source - not just a collection of utilities strapped to a pair of function generators - see the Maths Illustrated Guide - between them they are a great start - if you can fit them in in a later iteration of this rack - I would add links and kinks (great starter utility set) and a matrix mixer

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks again...

I designed the case, its internal dimensions and layout, and my neighbour made it from MDF. I plan to stain it and maybe varnish, I bought some Red stain thinking it might look cool and tested it on a bit of scrap MDF.... looks really crap! So Not red! Doh! :)
There is room to stack more case rows on top and room at the front for a horizontal skiff.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Do you have these on hand already, or is this still speculative? The reason I ask is because the key to getting something more playable is going to be starting with a bigger case, something like a Tiptop Mantis. And this isn't simply because of the usual routine of "go bigger, then shrink your build", but because it sounds like you need more interactivity in the controls, and trying to do that with tight spacings and tiny controls won't be any fun.

If this is designed to complement the yangqin as something of a "sidecar", you should make the modular as playable as the yangqin is in the rig. The idea here is that the modular is supposed to function as part of that instrument, so you really won't like having to go from a really obvious musical environment (the yangqin) to a confined and twiddly one. Rather, everything should simply "flow", as if this were all one instrument...because technically, IT IS.

Now, as for the pickups...this is another place you need to be careful. Piezos tend to have low outputs, so it might be a better idea to boost the signal level BEFORE it arrives at the synth. Mission Engineering has a volume pedal, the VM-PRO, which has an option for piezo inputs with the proper impedance level (very important! piezos typically like to connect to something high impedance) and boost for those pickups. Plus, this will give you a few new playing methods by default, such as manually reshaping the envelopes while playing, or striking a large number of strings and then gradually bringing up the level of the resulting tonal wash, all by having the volume pedal between the yangqin and the synth's input. Plus, with the VM-PRO, that Doepfer A-199 will be a lot happier with the incoming levels, as this won't require the major level boost that a typical piezo pickup does. This is sort of familiar turf, as I've started (again) using guitar (dual-neck lapsteel...in this case, a fine 1952 National Dual-8) in a few things, and this seems to work better into a synth if the levels are already up near line-level at the synth's input module.

Effects are delivered by my Soundcraft mtk mixer. How balanced does it look? Modulation is kinda' missing in here...Do you think Atlantis fits this module selection? Should I consider another rack, just for the Atlantis?
alt text

I came across the Pico System III Eurorack version and it seemed like it could be a great first module for a Eurorack system, however after searching around (including in this forum) I found very little evidence of ANYONE using this in a Eurorack.
-- hurphendale

There are reasons for this. First reason is that the Pico III isn't a "module". It's a full synth. It has modular architecture but it's not a true module, so it's a wee bit off-topic for MG. Also, most savvy users here don't wind up cab-mounting their Pico III or other cased-but-rackables because, well, it's a waste of money and space to rehouse and repower something that already has those things from the factory.

And the third reason only becomes a problem if you have fat, sausage-y fingers; when you space a pile of 3 hp modules all together as one like that, tweaking the controls is a BITCH...and things such as VCF cutoffs and the like BEG to be tweaked. 2 hp and 3 hp (and some denser 4 hp) modules are great for hole-filling, but they're best left to things that don't require constant attention, such as VCAs, etc.

I'm with Jim above on this...but to add one other salient point: unless you know how something like a modular (or anything else!) will fit into your workflow, and how it can enhance your music, you might want to go with a prepatched rig, or some of the more interesting tandemmed prebuilds that are starting to appear. More expensive, sure...but if I were about to dive into this, I'd rather spend a bit more money for something of a more complete system...something like a Make Noise 0-CTRL/0-Coast pair, Pittsburgh's Voltage Research Lab, a Kilpatrick Phenol, Soundmachines Modulor114, etc. Even one of Korg's new ARP 2600 FS would be optimal here (save for the fact that they're quite unobtainable, something which Korg deserves LOADS of flung poo over, still!) The Pico III is OK for what it has, but more $$$ does tend to equal a more comprehensive synth in most cases. But first, determine where this would fit in what you create. Otherwise, this can be a hella expensive Pandora's box to open!

A four oscillator drone with: Rossum-Electro Trident, XAOC Odessa, Make Noise DPO, and a Moog Mother 32 through QPAS, Panharmonium, Clouds, and Mimeophon. Just a relaxed evening session, letting this patch unfold and evolve slowly.

What I find interesting is that the "problems" which the digital FOH/monitor desks mainly solve are generally related to transport. Digital desks are lighter, smaller, somewhat less fragile, and so on, so it's not a question of audio quality. And since a studio desk isn't likely to be dragged around all over the place, all of that becomes moot. My FIVE was something like $85k new, and that was only around 20-ish years ago, but I got it for $750...which might seem REALLY cheap, but then you need to factor in the need for a rental truck to get it home, gas, time on that, plus some movers to get it out and into your studio because this mo'fo is about 7 1/2 feet long and weighs in at 400 or so pounds. All totalled, that came to about $1200...but that's still FAR under the original list price.

But the search that got me to my FIVE was pretty mindblowing! If I'd felt like it, I could've gotten a 32-frame Mitsubishi/Quad Eight Westar desk for a smidge under $10k...again, that's an insane price, but those are far more difficult to maintain. Or a huge Harrison system that a TV station down in St. Louis was dumping for $9000 that I KNOW ran about $100k when new. The trick is to find something that configures nicely in a studio situation, that's relatively smashproof, easy to maintain, and that has killer audio quality for a good price, and not all desks out there fit that bill...so you have to be careful to make sure the desk in question "likes" being used in the studio. While the FIVE is great for this, not every mixing console out there is suitable for studio work, so that aspect requires some care to make sure the desk's configuration fits well.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh yes! I am enjoying this track too, I keep repeat listening at this track :-)

You got a lot of nice sounds in this track, well variation of sound usage and you keep the listener here at the tip of the chair, so exciting to listen at it, well done!

That casing... is that an ADDAC casing? Looks pretty nice! Let me know the details if you don't mind.

Thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

this user has left ModularGrid

I view the PICO III as a really well thought out instrument having everything you need, not just to get started, but as a full system. On the other hand I think the most active users of modular forums are more interested in making a highly personal instrument of all their favorite sounds, modulation and effects.

Both approaches are valid.

If you want to get started right away making bleeps, bloops and music the PICO III system (or any other full system or semi-modular) will get you there. If you're more interested in the finicky details of Maths VS Rampage VS Falisri VS Contour VS (insert dozens of others here), then explore by buying a module or two at a time and figuring out how they work together. Then adding or selling off modules as you go.

What are you hoping to do music-wise? Do you have any other gear?

the usual way to get into eurorack is to spend a fuckload of time researching (months if not years) - so that you actually know what modules are before even looking at the pretty pictures - or you could just get a semi

whilst the pico system seems to be a reasonably well specc'ed system - there are drawbacks - the main one being that the individual modules (yes I know there's only 1 panel in the system) are all very small - usually best sandwiched between 2 bigger modules so that there is space to get to the control and the jacks and in this case they are sandwiched between 2 modules the same size they are

I think the only market for this (either as a rack module or as a standalone desktop unit) is beginners - so your re-sale market is starters who particularly want to get trapped with these modules

personally I would do the research, save the pennies, try and actually play with a modular either at a store or through someone locally and then buy a case and a few modules that you actually want and have a decent idea about what they do - rather than rushing into buying a system that you can't see any users of

it may be that after having done the research then you still decide you want this 'module' - then at least you are not going into it blind - as you appear to be

Thanks @troux and anyone else who did the same off the back of this thread!!!

@mog00 - it really depends on the individual - I like the make noise, erica synths, mutable (braided) cables and stackcables - I also have doepfer, arturia and tinrs - which I'm not so keen on (although the tinrs are really useful) - generally the important things are flexibility, reliability and the size of the plugs and cable - cables aren't expensive just buy a few different ones and try them out - try to aim for roughly 1/2 the number of jacks you have in the case - at some point you'll need less - but it's a good starting point

@Shakespeare - just updated the case - I was toying with the idea of MI Ripples to act as both a filter and vca? you think the quad VCA would be more beneficial?

Yeah, I agree with you on that. It's good advice. I started my search yesterday with a bit of help from a friend in the mixing/mastering business. The real challenge will be keeping him from buying everything before I get to it. :-)

Hola Cacharrada,

For example Rubadub seems to have Pam's in stock, if that's the question. ModularGrid lists a few sites to purchase modules but not all of them, so sometimes it's worth looking around some more ;-)

Now that I look a bit closely at the rack and Garfield's comments, I second his remark about an extra filter and reiterate the fact that what Pam's can offer in the realm of CV modulation sources is what I feel is missing from the proposed rack. LoL, now I almost feel like I'm selling the thing :-D

Saludos,
Diego

PS: foto de paella -> ahora tengo hambre :-)

--- Voltage control all the things ---

I am new to modular, and looking for a good way to get started without knowing exactly what sets of modules I want to start with. I came across the Pico System III Eurorack version and it seemed like it could be a great first module for a Eurorack system, however after searching around (including in this forum) I found very little evidence of ANYONE using this in a Eurorack. I saw some cool demos of the desktop version, but no discussion of it within the Eurorack communities I checked.

Is this something I'd end up wanting to get rid of once I got familiar with Eurorack? It seems cool, but considering I haven't found any evidence of people using it in their Eurorack systems, I feel I would have a hard time selling a eurorack version of it.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Would I be better off getting the desktop version due to the resalability?

Really enjoying this patch, in no small part this is the product of the divided gates coming from the #PittsburghModular #MicroSequence, gates hitting the #ALM #PipSlope (Tweaking the PipSlope to let more of less thru) which is opening up #MutableInstruments #Veils to let through the #MakenoiseSTO and the #2hpARP pattern. The twinkly blippy beats come from the #AddacSystems #Tnetworks103 going through the #2HpVerb. Main beat is also the T-networks with hats percussion coming from the Roland TR-09. The PipSlope also tweaks the #HappyNerding #HNVCF. There is also some of the STO routed through the ADDAC105 and mixed with its output before heading to the #Erica #PicoDSP

And as usual, its time to pull all the plugs and delete the .wav files :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Thanks @Farkas, now it seems that the issue is te gent one Pam's...

This will be fun, if you have tiny fingers. Otherwise, the micro-modules will get on your nerves at some point, particularly the Marbles clone (Marbles, unlike a lot of similar random-based sequencers, is really playable, and not at its best as a "set-and-forget" sequencer). Otherwise, the lack of VCAs is your only real issue.... you're going to want some. Maybe replace the input module with something like Ears, and use the free 4hp to add a VCA module (there are several dual VCA modules in 4hp available).

One reason I moved to larger, complex oscillators is due to their incredible depth and flexibility. I started out with STO, Dixie, and Plaits. I love each of these little oscillators but wouldn't trade all three for any one of my complex oscillators (Trident, DPO, Odessa, and Telharmonic). Sure, in a smaller case they are sometimes hard to justify, but stick Odessa in this one and it could easily create a powerful generative ambient landscape.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Mowse,

I am sorry to hear you are facing problems with your mixer :-( I hope you find a solution :-) Buying a new one? ;-)

If wrapping up your EP-420 case is the consequence of this fantastic music, I would like to ask you to keep wrapping up your EP-420 every week or so :-)

It sounds so naturally, so easy going, the music you create, it's amazing and yes, keep on coming with "stuff" like this! Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

I think my poor little mixer is giving up the ghost. 10 years of service for a cheap, consumer grade slab isn't too bad, I suppose. :-)
-- mowse

Big suggestion: when you start looking for a replacement mixer, don't start with the new stuff. Instead, hit Reverb, eBay, etc and look for live pro audio desks from roughly 1990-2005. Since the whole concept of digital audio for live work shrunk down the desks, etc used for FOH work, there's a lot of primo stuff for dimes on the dollar out there (he said, leaning on the end bolster of the cherry 54-frame Soundcraft FIVE he got for $800). Seriously, tho...here's just one example of a nice, smaller live desk that would work nicely in a small studio, only $495 + shipping: https://reverb.com/item/34531059-soundcraft-lx7ii-24-channel-mixer?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiI0NDlhYWQ0OC1mMTFmLTQ1ZTMtYTg4OC1kNTRmNjRhYjIwODciLCJpYXQiOjE1OTY5MzA4MzMsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiNGY3NTU5NjItMzc5Mi00NDQzLTk5YWMtYjZhZDk1MjlhOGNmIiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjM0NTMxMDU5Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.QkOVR7Sla-YqtL5diOo6MlAvL863pzXa4T6BtfJw10E Nice stuff...back when this was new (which it still IS...see this Sweetwater listing: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LX7ii-24--soundcraft-lx7ii-24-channel-mixer) it wasn't too cheap at about $1500. And this is just one example amongst loads...

Nice @jimhowell1970, just gave you a follow!

Hey all, Im building out a nifty case with the intention of having a generative ambient setup which I could also plug the output of piezo mics into rings or clouds, etc. I play Yang Qin (Chinese hammered dulcimer) - Its hard to explain the music I make but i have some stuff out on BC as Earth Person if that helps inform your suggestions. I have 10 hp left in my case and was thinking of the antumbra cara (smaller marbles) does anyone have any suggestions on other modules which might suit the setup better?

I'm definitely going to buy a few modules at a time and then see what I'm missing or where I want to go.

And my bad. That 3:1 is definitely not a mult haha. I meant to put this instead https://afterlateraudio.com/product/mult/. The MI Links look great though. I guess it would be better than the ALA one since I could do mult a stereo in, and still have space free for more inputs. Perhaps I'll have one ALA mult, and one links. Does this seem like a good idea?

Another question, any recommended cable brands to get or stay away from. I know this is a bit of personal preference but with so many to choose from, any go to sources great value/price ratio are welcome.

well good luck with that I don't have particularly large hands and I definitely prefer bigger modules with larger knobs and more space between the knobs and jacks - but each to their own

go slowly buy a few modules at a time - that way you can answer these questions yourself - it's your synth - if you can get similar functionality to links from other modules (and you prefer those other modules) then do so - personally I always find it useful to have a buffered mult etc etc

yeah the bored brains things will work, but you'll probably want a few, easily loose them, drop them on the floor and step on them, spill coffee on them etc...

That’s the goal, I want to experiment and grow the second row after I am better able to decide what is missing coming from a more informed desire to fill a gap. All the guidance has been great and much appreciated. I don’t want to fall into analysis paralysis but looking for a solid foundation that forces creative use of limited mods.

If you are going to get a Mantis (great case btw, I have 1) then it really doesn't matter as you will have space left over anyway, ochd is a fine octal lfo, but in a small case with other modulation I think links is slightly more useful

to me really it comes down to this - buy a few modules - play with them - once you know them inside out, get another and repeat, within one or two modules you will work out which modules you need anyway

Thanks Jim. I thought about getting the full size ones, but smaller knobs don't really bother me too much as my hands aren't that big. Plus, I figured I could save a little money that way.

Good call on the kinks. Do I need the links if I have the 3:1 mixer? Or should I grab two 3:1 mixers? Couldn't I also use this https://www.perfectcircuit.com/boredbrain-splix-black.html as a not so pretty way of doing it as well? I didn't think about the matrix mixer though. That's a good suggestion.

Also, I forgot to mention I have a Mackie VLZ802 I'd be using as an outboard mixer to go to my interface.

I will likely get a mantis case so I have room to grow but want to limit my first rack to a single row. With that being said I could take out the mmf, lxd, and hpo as you suggested originally Jim and put the mixer back. The ochd looks really nice but if you think links is more versatile with maths I could go that route. So many options but a good exercise and I appreciate all the feedback.

More filters or mixer, links vs ochd decisions decisions

Got the modules from @RazzoRocket & @yrn1 a little while ago. Seamless transactions & quick to dispatch. Thanks!

personally I would have fewer sound sources and get full size ones so that they are easier to play with

but more seriously, I would dump the ochd - pams and maths (plus pachinko) is enough modulation in this size case imo - instead use utility modules, such as mutable links and kinks and a matrix mixer to derive lots of related modulation

if you look around enough (2 mins on google) you'll find a pulse from make noise that you can just copy in an audio track and then place it on every beat and play that out at full volume on a spare audio channel - this works even if you don't have a dc coupled audio interface - I do and I still use this method

or you could use midi clock and a midi->cv module

Some thoughts from a relative noobie, but I'd probably swap the Links for an Ochd, I like a lot of potential modulation sources and Ochd's ratios are really nice even if you only use a few outs, this would let you use the Maths in some more interesting ways too. If I was going to pick a different filter I'd choose a Polaris, I like the sound a lot more than the new Ripples, it's more playable, and it has a lot more features. You'd have 2hp to fill there which is a lot less than 4 but might still give you some interesting options.

re ochd - I think 1 modulation source in a case this size is enough - kinks and links together with the matrix mixer provide enough useful utility modules to leverage Maths to suffice all the modulation requirements - ochd (or similar, maybe something with reset) would be a great early addition to the next rack, imo

I like the idea of swapping the filter for ripples or polaris!

On another note @JimHowell1970 I hope we see some video work from you one day, that rack looks incredible!
-- troux

https://www.instagram.com/jimhowell1970 - enjoy

the case is more logical than physical - it's not all in one case, chromagnon is on order and the bottom 2 rows are my wish list - as is the fortress and diver is in for repair

Looking pretty sharp @mog00!

any help would be appreciated

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Recently got modules from @yrn1 and @atomtwist.
Everything ok, flawless transactions and prompt shipments.

ModularGrid Rack

Hey all,

This is what my first setup is looking like so far. I'm trying to do generative ambient music. I still have 18 hp left, but I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. How does this setup look so far? Thanks!

troux Orchd great choice!. All these recommendations have been great thank you.

Latest iteration

mog00